PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum iPod nano?

Piarco
Jul 10, 2006, 09:47 AM
According to the folks over at iLounge and Appleinsider, the new Nano may well be taking a page out of the Mini's successful book, and moving to an aluminium case rather than sticking with polycarbonate. And this suggests the return of different colours too....

If this pans out, I may be interested in another nano....
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/next-ipod-nano-to-sport-aluminum-enclosure/
(http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/next-ipod-nano-to-sport-aluminum-enclosure/)
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1872

:UPDATE:

Another analyst is saying the enclosure could be magnesium rather than aluminium...
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/analyst-new-ipod-nano-due-q4-with-magnesium-casing/

MacRumors
Jul 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1872) that Apple is considering the move back to aluminum enclosures for upcoming iPod nanos.

According to their sources, the move is due scratching complaints for the existing iPod nano. The iPod mini, which the nano replaced, had been constructed with aluminum enclosures. In addition to aluminum enclosures, the upcoming nano is expected to also come in a number of colors with a capacity up to 8GB.

Meanwhile, Analysts (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1871) have speculated that an iPod nano revision is not expected until November of this year. This represents a delay which is attributed to the recent change in chip suppliers (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060426223303.shtml).

XIII
Jul 10, 2006, 10:20 AM
Eyy! I would *have* to get one! Hope this turns out to be true!

MacSA
Jul 10, 2006, 10:20 AM
I loved the old old iPod mini with it's different colours... would lokve to see something similar again. Maybe with the black and white version too.

dcv
Jul 10, 2006, 10:22 AM
Sounds interesting. I hate the look of the iPod nano so I hope it gets a slight redesign.

AvSRoCkCO1067
I loved the old old iPod mini with it's different colours... would lokve to see something similar again. Maybe with the black and white version too.

Yeah, hopefully some of the colors are different (remember the gold Mini?)

Pink, Green, Blue, Black, White...or just Black and White (that would look so cool in an anodized aluminum casing...!!!)

ahuman7341
I wanna see it matching the MBP.

UberMac
Jul 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
Black anodized aluminum :eek: :D :o My goodness that would actually need to be bought and treasured forever - I love my blue mini, and a black one would be awesome...I'm not so sure of white aluminum though...

Uber

EDIT: how about white/black anodized aluminum MacBooks *feints from pleasure*

shadowmoses
Jul 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
This would be awesome although I love my Nano but the shrunken iPod look could be done better with a more robust aluminum design, Can't wait to see what Steve has to show us....I'm pretty sure we will see a pretty revolutionary iPod overhaul by the end of 06!

SHadoW

berkleeboy210
Jul 10, 2006, 10:24 AM
Gotta Love all these Monday Morning Rumors.. :D

Does anyone think we'll see any new iPods at WWDC? or will they be released at a later Fall iPod specific event?

Macnoviz
Jul 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
But Aluminium will only be for the highest end model, and it will cost more even with identical specs;)

Eidorian
Jul 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
November for a new Nano? Ouch! Still the I love the aluminun idea. :D

extraextra
Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
I would love aluminum. I could buy one for my mother for Christmas.

BornAgainMac
Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
I like the Silver ones. Those would look nice. Match the MBPs.

spine
Jul 10, 2006, 10:33 AM
Of all the iPods designs, I think the mini was the best. No scratches or fingerprints, simply a flattened tube that felt good to hold.
I wanted the larger iPods to adopt the look and feel of the aluminum mini!
Fingers are crossed...

emotion
Jul 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
Count me in. Black anodized to match the new MBP, of course.

baleensavage
Jul 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
Bring back the colors! Black and white are boring.

...though this does seem like Apple taking a step backwards...

d.perel
Jul 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
a retro design already? The iPod has only been around a few years!

anastasis
Jul 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
I already have the money for a new Nano tucked away.. Just waiting for the release. But that November date is not nice... :(

Jul 10, 2006, 10:44 AM
I hope they do this for all the ipods, get away from the chrome back that scratches from just touching it :) It would be awesome if I could get a 60gb ipod video that matched my mbp (I mean only the back, I still like the white plastic on the front)

Chundles
Jul 10, 2006, 10:47 AM
Of all the iPods designs, I think the mini was the best. No scratches or fingerprints,

You've not seen my mini then?? :D :D

Tanglewood
Jul 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
(I mean only the back, I still like the white plastic on the front)

Hmmm...replacing the chrome back with aluminum and leaving the from the way it is. I like that.

Tom B.
Jul 10, 2006, 10:50 AM
If they did this I would definetly buy a black aluminum 8GB nano, even a shuffle if they do the same with that. :D

emotion
Jul 10, 2006, 10:50 AM
Hmmm...replacing the chrome back with aluminum and leaving the from the way it is. I like that.

The "Chrome" back is aluminium isn't it?

Chundles
Jul 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
The "Chrome" back is aluminium isn't it?

No, it's stainless steel.

kevin.rivers
Jul 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
This would be very cool. I love my silver mini. This would be a great move for the nanos. I am sure it will be ridiculed however...

SteveRichardson
Jul 10, 2006, 10:52 AM
If apple chooses to bring back the colors, then there has to be one rule set in place...

NO MORE PASTELS.

The colors NEEEEED to be bold. This "powder" blue and light pink need to go...oh and the gold? excuse me I think someone HURLED on your iPod.

BLECH!

MAKE. THEM. BOLD.

nagromme
Jul 10, 2006, 10:54 AM
I'm still curious to know whether Apple was lying when they said the nano has the same surface material as any other iPod.

My guess: they were telling the truth or the lie would have been bigger news by now. But a "bad batch" remains a possibility.

I think group psychology may have a lot to do with just HOW bad one is bothered by the scratches that might have occurred on any plastic object. Why were nano owners (supposedly) more upset by scratches than other iPod owners? A physical difference or a psychological one?

Either way, scratches are frustrating--ESPECIALLY on something that starts out looking as nice as an iPod.

I love the glossy white/black look, but I know from my PowerBook just how durable anodized aluminum is: 3 years of abuse and my PB still looks like new. The coating is harder than most objects that hit it, so objects leave mark, but the mark just rubs off--it's not a true scratch.

Sounds like a good choice for the nano.

And I agree: bold jewel tones, not pastels! Jewel-tone red, blue, green, and orange would look nice. And throw in black--they make anodized Al maglites in black.

emotion
No, it's stainless steel.

Ah I see. I stand corrected. I only own a shuffle. :)

backupdrummer
I think it would be a good move. The mini in aluminum was aperfect way to give the big daddy ipod a classy premium look and the mini a fun young feel.

This would be a good move for apple

QCassidy352
Jul 10, 2006, 10:55 AM
My 4 GB can't hold all my music as of yesterday so this sounds good.

How about an aluminum nano with 8 GB and the battery life of the 2G mini? I'd definitely buy one. :D Those minis were so tough that I never used a case, and it still never scratched. And november would be perfect for me because the 1 year warranty on my current nano would just be up.

Phobophobia
Jul 10, 2006, 10:57 AM
I see the Nanos as being updated much sooner than November. Apple only recently started offering free lanyard earphones with each refurbished Nano. They're getting rid of stock for an imminent release of new iPods.

Macnoviz
Jul 10, 2006, 11:00 AM
My 4 GB can't hold all my music as of yesterday so this sounds good.

How about an aluminum nano with 8 GB and the battery life of the 2G mini? I'd definitely buy one. :D Those minis were so tough that I never used a case, and it still never scratched. And november would be perfect for me because the 1 year warranty on my current nano would just be up.

I use a case for my mini, but this is mainly for the rare times I drop it :o
It bens a bit on the edges, not noticable, though

MacRumoron
Jul 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
well.... i hope they will still have a white ipod nano

thats the only color i like on an ipod ;)

garfield2002
Jul 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
A focus on durability would really be fantastic and also quite a change from the current trend of electronics toward disposability. I had a Motorola V60 (almost all aluminum) for 4 years and it looked great dispite much much abuse. My latest phone, an all plastic V551, looked like crap after just a few months. I'd really consider purchasing an aluminum iPod of any size (video, nano, or shuffle).

Chris Bangle
Jul 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
I hate the nano, its overpriced, chepaly made and flimsy, A metel enclousure would be amazing, bring back rounded sides like the mini aswell as the metel. I m fussy about the shape of the sides os my ipods, nano is to square and the 5g is only rond at the back, the mini was perfect, i would buy one again if i didnt already have one.....

Chris Bangle
Jul 10, 2006, 11:16 AM
I use a case for my mini, but this is mainly for the rare times I drop it :o
It bens a bit on the edges, not noticable, though

exactly the same situation as me!!!!

hyperpasta
Jul 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
Good call, Apple. I would love colors, and I'll bet that the four iPod mini colors come back.

savar
Jul 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
I don't get it, what material is Apple using that it scratches so easily? My cell phone is in my pocket most of the day, almost every day, and it doesn't have any scratches at all. Do the same with an ipod and you'll have little scratches *all over* the thing. Mine got scratches just from putting it into that little white sleeve that Apple includes with the ipod. It's totally ridiculous.

And how will aluminum fix anything? I mean, are they going to cover the screen with aluminum too?

Yvan256
Jul 10, 2006, 11:21 AM
If apple chooses to bring back the colors, then there has to be one rule set in place...

NO MORE PASTELS.

The colors NEEEEED to be bold. This "powder" blue and light pink need to go...oh and the gold? excuse me I think someone HURLED on your iPod.

BLECH!

MAKE. THEM. BOLD.

I'm with you on that. I'd want a 8GB iPod nano, aluminum anodized in dark royal blue. But a black aluminum iPod nano would really be impressive too.

A slight re-design wouldn't hurt either. They should make is shorter to match the screen/wheel/case ratio of a "real iPod".

hyperpasta
Jul 10, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'm with you on that. I'd want a 8GB iPod nano, aluminum anodized in dark royal blue. But a black aluminum iPod nano would really be impressive too.

A slight re-design wouldn't hurt either. They should make is shorter to match the screen/wheel/case ratio of a "real iPod".

I used to agree with you, but now I find the ratio very distinctive, and part of what makes a nano a nano.

p0intblank
Jul 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
If true, chances are good I would actually get one. Simply being aluminum and with color enclosuers are good enough reasons for me. I love the design of iPod mini and would really like to see that style make a return. The current iPod nanos are REALLY nice... however, the easily scratching problems have to go. And not to mention this would be just in time for holiday sales! :)

mi5moav
Jul 10, 2006, 11:39 AM
I would love to see a white aluminum ipod with fish scale textures. So, cool love it bring back the mini exterior. Though I don't know if you can fold aluminum like that(nano shape)

ATG
Jul 10, 2006, 11:39 AM
Noooooooo!

Please don't do this. I love the look of the nano as it is and as much as I like aluminium it just doesn't suit it. Anyway, my nano hardly has any scratches even though I dropped it on a motherboard (long story ;)).

supremedesigner
Jul 10, 2006, 11:41 AM
Good! It's about time! I never owned any iPod before but I'm expectin' this one to be my first vPod (Video iPod, not nano) to sport Closed Caption/Subtitle. If not, well, 26 million of hard hearing and deaf probably won't buy it. :D

Macnoviz
Jul 10, 2006, 11:41 AM

NO MORE PASTELS.

BLECH!

MAKE. THEM. BOLD.

We hear you :)

Evangelion
Jul 10, 2006, 11:44 AM
Partially off-topic, but... The Black Nano is notorious for scratching. But how easily does the Black Video iPod scratch? I've been planning to replace my iPod Mini with something that has more capacity, and the black iPod seems tempting. But the scratching worries me.

JackSYi
Jul 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
Cool. Maybe if this happens, we can look out for aluminum MacBooks?

Collin973
Jul 10, 2006, 11:54 AM
A redesigned ipod nano would be very nice. I honestly don't think it needs to be thinner than a pencil. But, an AL ipod would be pretty sweet. We'll see what happens

bigandy
Jul 10, 2006, 12:00 PM
in the famous words of Dr Zoidberg,

"I'll take eight!" ;) :D

Evangelion
Jul 10, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cool. Maybe if this happens, we can look out for aluminum MacBooks?

Did we get aluminium iBooks when Apple released aluminium iPod Mini?

Yvan256
Jul 10, 2006, 12:10 PM
I used to agree with you, but now I find the ratio very distinctive, and part of what makes a nano a nano.

Not saying the iPod nano is "ugly", but it does look different from the regular iPods (apart from the mini and the shuffle).

But now that I think about it, handling a shorter iPod nano would prove a bit difficult for me. The current height fits nicely in my hand.

Tom B.
Jul 10, 2006, 12:11 PM
Partially off-topic, but... The Black Nano is notorious for scratching. But how easily does the Black Video iPod scratch? I've been planning to replace my iPod Mini with something that has more capacity, and the black iPod seems tempting. But the scratching worries me.
The iPod with video is made of the exact same material as the iPod nano so it scratches just as easily, but it if worries you, just get a case. The Contour Showcase Video (http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcasevideo/) is one of the best you can buy.

Xander562
Jul 10, 2006, 12:20 PM
I wanna see it matching the MBP.
YES!! ME TOO! i would DEFINATELY get one if they are 8GB or larger

kevmbpro
Jul 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
What about an aluminum regular ipod. Finally that would get rid of the annoying fingerprint-prone shiny back and the plastic fronts. The ipd would look incredible then!

Jul 10, 2006, 12:31 PM
that is only if it is actually metal, no cheap plastic look like metal!!!! Also, only the back, I like the white front, but I am sure whatever apple designs will look great!!

Lukeinnj
Jul 10, 2006, 12:34 PM
Black anodized aluminum

At least it would match my pots and pans. Just dont put it in the dishwasher...I've learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:

Deepdale
Jul 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
This is the best news of this day ... the wait will unquestionably be worth it.

ChrisA
Jul 10, 2006, 01:05 PM
Aluminum? Why not stainless steel? What about some kind of soft rubber-like stuff. I'd like to see them made tougher so they could survive being dropped or stepped on.

Evangelion
Jul 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
Aluminum? Why not stainless steel?

Ain't that the truth! hard and durable. yes, it weights a bit more than aluminium, but the difference would be neglible. Hell, the weight of the entire iPod is starting to be neglible :)!

4God
Jul 10, 2006, 01:15 PM
I would finally break down and get one then.

uv23
Jul 10, 2006, 01:16 PM
I love my aluminum mini, it's indestructible and looks great. If they do an 8gb aluminum nano, I'll buy one immediately.

ipodG8TR
Jul 10, 2006, 01:30 PM
1. Black - black is always popular and looks great on electronics

2. Pink - Yes, I said pink. The pink ipod mini was the second best seller, 'nuff said

3. Silver - an all silver or White/Silver combo

Got to have these three at least. Throw in one or two other colors too. Maybe start with Orange and Blue. So, I'm a Gators fan. What can I say!

LaMerVipere
Jul 10, 2006, 01:36 PM
I would absolutely have to buy one if it came in Aluminum like the old mini.

roburado
Jul 10, 2006, 01:43 PM
Personally, I like the form factor of my nano. The mini was never small enough for me and never had a large enough capacity for the amount I would have had to pay for it. A lot of people seem to like it. So, to each his own. For me, the nano finally was small enough, and it had enough capacity for what I wanted it for--just bringing a few tracks along to the gym.

Mine isn't really very scratched up. From the beginning, I was very careful with it. I left the plastic covering from the original packaging on it until I could get one of those clinging clear plastic. shields. I never wanted to use a case, because I never wanted to make it any bigger than it was. I did contemplate some skins, but there was no way in hell I wanted to increase the size of the nano. That would have been defeating the purpose of having bought it in my mind. I figured the back would be just like car paint. Rub some slightly abrasive thing across it...oops swirl marks, micro-marring, or worse. I even thought that putting a skin on it would scratch it. So, that's another reason I didn't get one. So, I put the equivalent of a clear bra on the thing.

To me, what's missing from the nano is a bigger screen. I'd like something like maybe a 16:9 ratio with a touch screen instead of the click wheel. It would be perfect for widescreen-format video. Aluminum? Okay. Whatever, as long as it isn't any bigger (thicker). Anodized black, silver, whatever. I don't really care. Just keep it the same thickness, or make it even thinner. Oh, and boost the battery life and capacity. I only wish my cell phone were as thin.

If they want to make it wireless? Okay. Fine. They want to make it talk? Okay. Fine. But...let me disable it when I want to .

Electro Funk
Jul 10, 2006, 02:02 PM

scratches just as easy... and the scratches show more on the black than on the white... have a white 60gb, a white nano, and a black nano.... the black nano was sporting scratches within 15 minutes of me taking it out of the box.... so was the white, but i dont notice them unless i angle it...

heisetax
Jul 10, 2006, 02:22 PM
Personally, I like the form factor of my nano. The mini was never small enough for me and never had a large enough capacity for the amount I would have had to pay for it. A lot of people seem to like it. So, to each his own. For me, the nano finally was small enough, and it had enough capacity for what I wanted it for--just bringing a few tracks along to the gym.

Mine isn't really very scratched up. From the beginning, I was very careful with it. I left the plastic covering from the original packaging on it until I could get one of those clinging clear plastic. shields. I never wanted to use a case, because I never wanted to make it any bigger than it was. I did contemplate some skins, but there was no way in hell I wanted to increase the size of the nano. That would have been defeating the purpose of having bought it in my mind. I figured the back would be just like car paint. Rub some slightly abrasive thing across it...oops swirl marks, micro-marring, or worse. I even thought that putting a skin on it would scratch it. So, that's another reason I didn't get one. So, I put the equivalent of a clear bra on the thing.

To me, what's missing from the nano is a bigger screen. I'd like something like maybe a 16:9 ratio with a touch screen instead of the click wheel. It would be perfect for widescreen-format video. Aluminum? Okay. Whatever, as long as it isn't any bigger (thicker). Anodized black, silver, whatever. I don't really care. Just keep it the same thickness, or make it even thinner. Oh, and boost the battery life and capacity. I only wish my cell phone were as thin.

If they want to make it wireless? Okay. Fine. They want to make it talk? Okay. Fine. But...let me disable it when I want to .

How could the Mini be too small in storage while the Nano is just right? The last Minis were 4GB & 6GB while the Nano comes in 1GB, 2GB & 4GB. That seems to be less storage space to me. The Nano put the price per GB up also. Price wise the 6 GB Mini = 4GB Nano. The 4GB Mini = the 2 GB Nano. This makes your storage size ideas given to us in the wrong manner.

The higher price per GB for the Nano over the Mini was just to get us ready for the higher prices on the Intel Mac over the G4/G5 PPC Mac. The next generation does not always stay the same price or derease. With Apple the new prices go up much of the time.

What will happen to the price of the iPods if Apple has to pay more than $50-100/month in wages for construction?

Bill the TaxMan

sam10685
Jul 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
i hope they keep an incredibly small design.

roburado
Jul 10, 2006, 03:30 PM
How could the Mini be too small in storage while the Nano is just right?

I don't mean to speak just in terms of the memory capacity and $ per GB. I mean that the mini--for me--was never small enough in physical size to justify the premium I would have paid for the miniaturization of the iPod. For me, the nano hit the sweet spot between cost, physical size, and memory capacity. The small size was the deciding factor. I had held out through I don't know how many iterations of the iPod and its stablemates before I finally bought my nano. Only then was it small enough. Of course, I would have liked to have more memory capacity, but I suppose that will come later. I didn't express myself well enough in my original post. Sorry.

I would probably have bought the regular 30GB iPod had it been as thin as the nano. Unfortunately, it wasn't as thin. So, I bought the nano instead.

LieutenantLefse
Jul 10, 2006, 03:44 PM
Meh! I already have a mini. Where's my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse? Come on Apple, how many iPods have been released since the Mighty Mouse, and you can't find the time to slap a bluetooth chip in it? Just delay the next silly iPod socks/shoes/bra/whatever by one day and get something useful done. Grr...

shamino
Jul 10, 2006, 03:45 PM
Black anodized aluminum :eek: :D :o My goodness that would actually need to be bought and treasured forever - I love my blue mini, and a black one would be awesome...I'm not so sure of white aluminum though...
I don't know if black is possible.

I remember reading (back when the TiBook was introduced) that Jobs was very upset over the fact that the anodizing process could not produce black titanium. Which is why they instead went for a bare-metal look (even though the titanium was actually painted, it seems...)

Maybe this is only a quirk of titanium, and a black-anodized aluminum iPod would work. Given the fact that aluminum rusts to a black color, maybe it can anodize to that color as well.

As for white, meh. I like my silver iPod mini. But actual white would look silly, I think.

KindredMAC
Jul 10, 2006, 03:49 PM
I can't believe the undeniable backing of a reconstituted mini in these posts...
This is funny.

davey-nb
Jul 10, 2006, 04:02 PM
I love my aluminum mini, it's indestructible and looks great. If they do an 8gb aluminum nano, I'll buy one immediately.
I agree, I never bought a case, my 2 yr. old mini gets thrown in my bag and tossed around in the car and I haven't got a single scratch. I love the aluminum material. Good move (if true!)

boncellis
Jul 10, 2006, 04:05 PM
Comparing this rumored product to the iPod Mini is inevitable I realize, but it's not quite the same. First, the screen will almost assuredly be color, and second the capacity will be quite larger I believe--maybe even starting at 12 GB. In that vein, what will Apple do about the HDD? I think flash is the way to go, so in that sense it's just a Nano dressed up in aluminum, not really a "mini redux."

That said, I think it would be bitchin'.

shamino
Jul 10, 2006, 04:08 PM
Aluminum? Why not stainless steel? What about some kind of soft rubber-like stuff. I'd like to see them made tougher so they could survive being dropped or stepped on.
Let's go for the redneck look - diamond-plate steel. So your iPod and your truck bumper can look the same :eek: .

Hmmmm.... I may have to photoshop one of these....

boncellis
Jul 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
I don't know if black is possible.

I'm pretty sure it is possible. As Nagromme already pointed out, Maglite flashlites are black anodized aluminum. Think of that as your next iPod...

LaMerVipere
Jul 10, 2006, 04:33 PM
Black is totally the new...black.

:o

iJawn108
Jul 10, 2006, 04:51 PM
Yay! :D I hope this is true so when I get my MBP, my Gen 2 iPod Nano will match. :p

iJawn108
Jul 10, 2006, 05:22 PM
I only hope they make the touch pads black :confused: i didn't like the white with the silver mini

MattyMac
Jul 10, 2006, 05:31 PM
Eyy! I would *have* to get one! Hope this turns out to be true!
me too!

RichP
Jul 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
The nano "scratching" is a result of several factors:

-As stated, black shows scratches much more easily (just like a black car)
- The 5G ipod/nano design has a large flat front surface, which, because it lacks the large filleted edges of earlier ipods, makes scratches more noticeable.
- The nanos smaller screen and higher resolution gets more blurred with scratching than earlier models.

I want to see Apple take a note from Motorola's RAZR. Make it out of aluminum, and use a GLASS CRYSTAL over the screen (like the RAZRs external screen) Its very hard to scratch the external screen of a RAZR, and combined with the aluminum enclosure, its a pretty durable piece.

whee900
Jul 10, 2006, 06:30 PM
This is the best news we've had in a while!
But just wondering if anybody knows... Is an aluminum finish be necessarily thicker than the plastic finish that the Nano has right now?

padmasana
Jul 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
I'd love a sliver anodized Nano to match the aluminum Macbook Pro.
Black does well with anodization also. I have a lot of mountain bike gear that is proof to its durability.
Aluminum loves anodization. It only makes it stronger.
I can see why Apple didn't anodize the titanium Powerbooks. Most every anodized titanium bit I've ever seen had a washed-out, pale hew.

-------------------
2.16 Macbook Pro
4 gb Nano
VW Jetta to haul 'em around

macgruff
Jul 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
The nano "scratching" is a result of several factors:

I want to see Apple take a note from Motorola's RAZR. Make it out of aluminum, and use a GLASS CRYSTAL over the screen (like the RAZRs external screen) Its very hard to scratch the external screen of a RAZR, and combined with the aluminum enclosure, its a pretty durable piece.

Exactly what i was going to say but about my SLVR, it sits in my hip pocket all day without a case and there isnt a single scratch on it, and its been in there with coins a couple of times. Its metal construction makes it pretty hard to bend so the screen cant crack easily.

I'd def consider a nano with these construction materials and build quality. Well I would if they eventually manage to upgrade the software to take out the gap played between mixed dance music mp3s. :)

zac4mac
Jul 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
This would be good.

When the Minis came out I got a silver one and immediately took it apart and sent the case out for re-anodizing. Black. It looked beautiful, only problem, I screwed up the mainboard by to much handling. Now it's a paperweight.

As for its big brothers, I still have a 1G - 5GB, 60GB Photo and 60GB Video, all with the backs beadblasted to remove that evil shine. No fingerprints or scratches.

My wife and I have 4GB nanos for daily use and they're both unmodified, going from box into Agent18 cases.
Oh yeah, there's a 0.5GB Shuffle too. Guess we need another one like a hole in the head.

Z

MikeTheC
Jul 10, 2006, 08:14 PM
Regarding scratches to the iPod surface, I have heard that Brasso works extremely well at eliminating them (or at least reducing the more severe ones).

BTW, 1 GB Nano here, in a hard-shell plastic case since the moment it came out of the box. The only scratches are on the case, not the Nano. Let's just say I used my noggin on this one. :)

ezekielrage_99
Jul 10, 2006, 08:53 PM
YAY aluminium :D

I'll be buying that if they release it

hd78
Jul 10, 2006, 11:04 PM
I wish, I wish, I wish for a scratch resistant ipod. Please??

pink-pony115
Jul 11, 2006, 12:25 AM
sounds great...i'm dreaming of an ipod with no scratches. :D

MNSUGrad07
Jul 11, 2006, 01:52 AM
Just my opinion, but I have always felt the Nano was a bit too small for my tastes. I think the mini was a great mix of compactness and functionality. I loved the aluminum casing on the mini's and I tend to miss the mini's design.

MNSUGrad07
Jul 11, 2006, 01:58 AM
Let's go for the redneck look - diamond-plate steel. So your iPod and your truck bumper can look the same :eek: .

Hmmmm.... I may have to photoshop one of these....

Haha, I am now waiting to see a 3rd party make those cases. With a Confederate Flag on the back of the case. Sadly I could see a lot of those selling in the south, :eek: god lets hope not, haha.

Deepdale
Jul 11, 2006, 02:18 AM
I have always felt the Nano was a bit too small for my tastes. ... I loved the aluminum casing on the mini's and I tend to miss the mini's design.

Given how wildly popular the mini was, it should just be brought back with a new spectrum of colors. Making a product like the nano with its fragility never interested me and nothing will top the durability and look of the aluminum. Apple, give the people what they want. Even if only the nano gets the revamped look later this year, it will most likely be a huge seller.

Lollypop
Jul 11, 2006, 02:36 AM
Meh! I already have a mini. Where's my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse? Come on Apple, how many iPods have been released since the Mighty Mouse, and you can't find the time to slap a bluetooth chip in it? Just delay the next silly iPod socks/shoes/bra/whatever by one day and get something useful done. Grr...

iPod bra... thats so funny! LOL

Give me the silver colour of the old mini, 8 gigs of storage and a profile somewhere in between the nano and the mini and i will take one!

asxtb
Jul 11, 2006, 03:39 AM
Given how wildly popular the mini was, it should just be brought back with a new spectrum of colors. Making a product like the nano with its fragility never interested me and nothing will top the durability and look of the aluminum. Apple, give the people what they want. Even if only the nano gets the revamped look later this year, it will most likely be a huge seller.
As others have speculated, I'd love to see the iPod become the iPod mini. A 20GB iPod mini would be awesome! I'd buy 2 the second they come out.:D

Deepdale
Jul 11, 2006, 04:19 AM
A 20GB iPod mini would be awesome! I'd buy 2 the second they come out.:D

Put me down for two as well ... the price of it would not matter in the slightest.

Piarco
Jul 11, 2006, 04:45 AM
Yet another analyst "informed opinion"... only this chap says magnesium...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/analyst-new-ipod-nano-due-q4-with-magnesium-casing/

Chris Bangle
Jul 11, 2006, 07:57 AM
Why are there still symbols on the click wheel. The world has been using ipods long enough to know what buttton does what. Also why dont apple just re-release the mini, it was one of the most amazing looking products of all time. The simplicity is mind blowing. The only thing simpler than a mini is the idrive in a BMW..:)

(Found this on ilounge....... I would sell my dog to buy one of these....)
http://gallery.ilounge.com/ipod/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=136

( I dont really have a dog)

Fuchal
Jul 11, 2006, 09:03 AM
I put a plastic protector over the whole front of my ipod - from clarivue.com for $7 - and not only does it not get scratched in my pocket, underneath, the ipod is perfect. Why is this so hard for Apple to accomplish when I can do it after for $7?

zac4mac
Jul 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
Looks like my black mini won't be a paperweight much longer, just bought a 1st gen mainboard on ebay for 35 bucks. Then I'll see whether I prefer the nano or the mini for daily use. When I get it going again, I'll take some pix of it and the whole iPod menagerie...

shamino
Jul 11, 2006, 03:21 PM
Looks like my black mini won't be a paperweight much longer, just bought a 1st gen mainboard on ebay for 35 bucks. Then I'll see whether I prefer the nano or the mini for daily use. When I get it going again, I'll take some pix of it and the whole iPod menagerie...
What black mini?

The only black iPods Apple ever made were the nanos and some full-size models (the 5Gs and the U2 editions.)

Minis never came in black. They came in silver, gold, blue, pink, and green

mandis
Jul 13, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah, hopefully some of the colors are different (remember the gold Mini?)

That's an unfair thing to ask though. What if you're into Rap music and you want your new ipod to match your golden chains and rings and of course your GOLDEN UZI??? :p

mandis
Jul 13, 2006, 10:41 AM
Aluminium iPod Nanos would rock BTW!!!!!:D

rebscb
Jul 23, 2006, 09:22 PM
Is this an aluminum nano on Radtech's site? (third photo square from left - mouse over).

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Acclaro.aspx

Mal
Jul 23, 2006, 09:42 PM
Weird. I've never seen one look like that. I'd guess it's either a ColorWare job, or bad Photoshop by Radtech, somewhere between where they used the black nano and the white one. It does look somewhat like aluminum, but we all know RadTech hasn't seen any product that's as yet unreleased, just like every other company out there.

The main thing I want to know is if there's a chance of a nano larger than the 8GB that was last rumored. I'd heard 12GB at one point, but nothing recently. Is that even possible with the current technology? 12GB would be enough for my library, but not 8GB.

jW

OdduWon
Jul 24, 2006, 02:42 PM
looks like they just painted the in side of the plastic case, like smoking out tail lights on ******* u mobile's. plus who wants another metal ipod? mt mini get so hot in my car that it burns my hands. even when i put it undef my seat to try and keep it cool. my 4g ipod dosent get that hot even in full sun. pluse the extra heat make the screen darken and is probbably really bad for the internals

Leondunkleyc
Jul 26, 2006, 03:58 PM