PDA

View Full Version : FS: PowerMac G5 Dual 2ghz 1.5GB RAM

jestershinra
Jul 10, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hey all,

Looking to sell this machine. It's been great, but it's really much more power than I need.

Has 14 months AppleCare left on it (bought 2 years ago in September)

It's a stock Rev. B Dual 2GHz Machine, with an extra gig of ram for a total of 1.5GB.

Looking to get $1700, but completely willing to listen to reasonable offers. Sorry, but not interested in any trades ATM.

Machine hasn't been used a ton, and in a smoke-free home environment. A few cosmetic scratches on the right (removable) panel, but certainly nothing major. Pics available on request.

edit: It's got a superdrive, 8x I think (will check). Stock 160 gig drive in it also.

Thanks!

Feel free to post here or PM me; I'll get notified either way ;)

jestershinra
Jul 12, 2006, 08:29 PM
Is this price unreasonable? Is there just lower interest?

Maybe 1600 would be better...

Phobophobia
Jul 12, 2006, 09:21 PM
Lots of people waiting for the Mac Pro. I'd try to sell this as quickly as possible.

xfiftyfour
Jul 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
Lots of people waiting for the Mac Pro. I'd try to sell this as quickly as possible.

Yeah, after the Mac Pro's come out, you might be stuck like the PB owners are now (w/ machines that won't sell for their value because the MBs swept the market).

Also, you might have better luck on eBay with this, as I think it's a good assumption that folks here tend to be on the cutting-edge side, AND "up-and-up" with the rumors about the Mac Pro's - and thus, less likely to buy a G5 right now.

FF_productions
Jul 12, 2006, 11:45 PM
eBay it, you won't get as much as you want around here...and hurry before those damn Mac Pro's come out..

RichP
Jul 13, 2006, 03:49 PM
Beating a dead horse again...EBAY.

Ive been looking to pick up a used Quad, and in general ebay brings about 1000 less on things than apple sells for refurb'ed prices.

jestershinra
Jul 16, 2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks. It's on eBay now.

jestershinra
Jul 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
Update: price drop to $1300 on the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320008605378

Phobophobia
Jul 19, 2006, 03:10 AM
Either sell it now for a price lower than what you want, or sell it after WWDC for a price MUCH lower than what you want.

Fiveos22
Jul 19, 2006, 08:32 AM
Surprisingly, that horrible marketplace eBay gave me almost (95%) the price I wanted for a PowerMac G5 that I just sold. Let it ride on eBay, now before WWDC.

jestershinra
Jul 19, 2006, 01:37 PM
Either sell it now for a price lower than what you want, or sell it after WWDC for a price MUCH lower than what you want.

Yeah, I'm finding this out. You think I should lower it from $1300? Below that, I might just keep it...

FF_productions
Jul 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I'm finding this out. You think I should lower it from $1300? Below that, I might just keep it...

Be patient, someone will snatch it sooner or later. You mine as well keep the machine if it's going to be priced any lower.

xfiftyfour
Jul 19, 2006, 01:44 PM

eBayers are strange people - starting prices that are high (even if they're not actually "high" for the item) have a hard time selling, whereas auctions that start low usually end up doing well, AND going for more than the "high" prices that other auctions start at.. I never understood this, either.

Perhaps if you're worried, start low, but put a reserve price? The RP will deter a few auctioners, but not as many as a 1300 starting bid might - plus, you'll still be covering your butt in case it ends for too little.

topgunn
Jul 19, 2006, 01:50 PM
When I sell a computer on eBay, I find out the most I think it can reasonable sell for and the minimum that I want to sell it for. I then find a middle ground between the two and set a buy it now price. If after 3 days no one is looking at it, I lower it. Usually it sells pretty quick.

xPismo
Jul 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
eBayers are strange people - starting prices that are high (even if they're not actually "high" for the item) have a hard time selling, whereas auctions that start low usually end up doing well, AND going for more than the "high" prices that other auctions start at.. I never understood this, either....

This is true. I have always had good experiences using the $1 starting price. Its always runs past my target price in the last few hours. eBay is a strange place.

BTW, I'm waiting to see where the G5 prices go post WWDC. If they drop as much as you guys are thinking, I'll be very tempted to go G5 + MB over a MBP.... but we will see.

Good luck on the sale btw.

mlrproducts
Jul 19, 2006, 01:58 PM
Been a seller for 7 years on fleaBay.

You're best bet its to take photos of the actual item for sale (doesn't matter if it it in perfect condition, people want to see photos).

Then, start an auction out at 1 penny with no reserve, let it go for at least a week.

If you don't want to do that, then just make your whole auction format a buy-it-now.

QCassidy352
Jul 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
eBayers are strange people - starting prices that are high (even if they're not actually "high" for the item) have a hard time selling, whereas auctions that start low usually end up doing well, AND going for more than the "high" prices that other auctions start at.. I never understood this, either.

Perhaps if you're worried, start low, but put a reserve price? The RP will deter a few auctioners, but not as many as a 1300 starting bid might - plus, you'll still be covering your butt in case it ends for too little.

absolutely. ebayers like to see that a lot of people have bid before them - makes em feel better for some reason. So start every auction at $1 and watch 'em go. :) If you're really worried you can put a reserve, but as long as the auction has the right words in the title and is reasonably well set up, enough people will see it and you'll get fair value. Reserve is only really necessary on an item that wouldn't get a lot of bids.

alec
Jul 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
I agree with everyone else, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by having the starting price so high -- I don't know if the computer would even SELL for that on eBay currently. Did you do any comparisons and research for similar computers on ebay before you put this one up? I found systems around your specs going for 1100 to 1300.

Chrispy
Jul 19, 2006, 08:25 PM
You best bet on ebay is to start bidding at $0.01 and put no reserve price. It always works for me.

jestershinra
Jul 19, 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks, guys!

I guess I'm too worried to list it starting at a dollar sans reserve, so maybe I'll just do a reserve of $1200 or $1300. I'll take some real pics too.

If there are more suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

jestershinra
Jul 19, 2006, 11:01 PM
Ok, I redid the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320008904060

Hope this is better!

xPismo
Jul 19, 2006, 11:10 PM
Ok, I redid the auction...Hope this is better!

It is. I'd put in a bid if I was looking at the moment. Very nice.

Chrispy
Jul 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
That should do much better. Do you have the auction featured? I have the computer in my sig listed right now (roommate is unexpecedly moving out so I need rent money and plan to buy something cheaper or just use my work lappy) and I started it 3 days ago at 1 cent. It is now up to over $1200 with over 70 people watching and around 30 bids with over 3 days left in the auction. It is worth the $20 to feature auctions as it pays off on large items. Best of luck to you. If you don't have your item promoted in some way be sure to do it. If you already do, you should do well with your auction. :)

jestershinra
Jul 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
I just added the feature. This auction is certainly looking more promising than the last one--thanks all!