Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Well last week I finally upgraded from my Kodak EasyShare C300. I decided on the Canon SD600 because I had heard good things about the series.

After taking it out and shooting a bit I found that it is just to basic for my tastes. I was hoping there would be a little room to grow into but I have mastered it in a couple of hours...

I have decided to take it back and I am looking at the A700 and A620. Any other suggestions? My budget is around $400. I just need a good camera to get me started. Nothing to complicated but something I can grow into and use until I can afford a D-SLR.

Thanks.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
dylan said:
Well last week I finally upgraded from my Kodak EasyShare C300. I decided on the Canon SD600 because I had heard good things about the series.

After taking it out and shooting a bit I found that it is just to basic for my tastes. I was hoping there would be a little room to grow into but I have mastered it in a couple of hours...

I have decided to take it back and I am looking at the A700 and A620. Any other suggestions? My budget is around $400. I just need a good camera to get me started. Nothing to complicated but something I can grow into and use until I can afford a D-SLR.

Thanks.

For another $150 or so you can grab a Canon Digital Rebel 300D off Amazon. Save your money.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
dylan said:
My budget is around $400. I just need a good camera to get me started. Nothing to complicated but something I can grow into and use until I can afford a D-SLR.
Thanks.

Beach Camera will sell you a Nikon D50 with the 18-55 Nikon lens for $549 That is only $149 over budget. If the DSLR is what you want why blow $400 on a point and shoot? That's what credit cards are for.

People will debate Canon V. Nikon but if your budget is tight Nikon is the way to go because of the large used market. Even 50 year old Nikon lenses will fit on the new DSLR and you can get some older but very high quality lenses for cheap and also their old film bodies from the 1960's, 70's, 80's and 90's will mount the new lenses. Yes there are used Canon lenses too but not much in the under $95 range.

If you must buy a P&S look at the Olympus SP-350. Amazon has them for $290. It is the current top of the line from a well respected long time camera maker. Easy manual control and a good lens, ht shoe for a flash and it takes AA batteries

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.