Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American Technology Research Analyst, Shaw Wu, echoes sentiments that the new iPod nano will come in a new metal enclosure. Shaw Wu, however, specifically states that the new iPod nano cases will be made of magnesium rather than the aluminum. According to Wu, the new magnesium nanos are expected by October of this year.

While there had been rumors of Apple using magnesium alloys for their laptops in the past, the last notable computer enclosure built with magnesium was the NeXT Cube. In 1993, NeXTWORLD's Simson Garfinkel documented his (extensive) efforts at setting a NeXT Cube on fire. (image)

Meanwhile, Wu also reiterates that the Intel PowerMac revision is expected at WWDC on August 7th. He also holds out hope for more to come:

Apple has already announced that it will preview Mac OS X 10.5. Mr. Wu says "With respect to Steve Jobs' track record and element of surprise, we are prepared to see something that no one anticipated."

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
Well, I'm waiting to be amazed. Apple has been pretty quiet in product releases as of late. I'd like to see an iPod that can play while on fire.

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
SteveRichardson said:
yeah whats the real difference between magnesium and aluminum?

Magnesium is flamible and burns VERY bright.

I can see it now: Do not smoke while using iPod.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Zweben said:
Magnesium is flamible and burns VERY bright.

I can see it now: Do not smoke while using iPod.

Oh yeah I remember lighting Magnesium on fire at school... Sweet. Hey ma got the new iFlame!

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
I had a laptop with a magnesium alloy case back in the days before I became a Mac Convert. It was a Sony VAIO 505-TR, and was a very nice light machine. One of the benefits of the magnesium case over the aluminium Powerbook case is the magnesium case never corroded like my 12" PB case has.

SteveRichardson

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
sweet. portable music player AND fireplace.

what more do you really need? ...save suffering 3rd degree burns.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
mozmac said:
I'd like to see an iPod that can play while on fire.

Heck why stop there? Why not make it water proof, fire proof, hurricane and tornado proof, and even lightning proof :p

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
For those who are interested in some of the advantages of magnesium, try this page. It's in reference to auto parts, but contains interesting general info.

Yes, magnesium is very flammable, but really only in finely powdered form.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
oh no

oh noes

I can just see someone doing there work on a mpb by candle light then the candle falls on the MPB and it burns....then the flames are so bright that the poor guy burns his retina's not a good idea..... I hope its not elemental magnesium that could cause some problems...:) :confused:

ipod nano oops really need to read better

MNSUGrad07

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
Mankato, MN
SteveRichardson said:
sweet. portable music player AND fireplace.

what more do you really need? ...save suffering 3rd degree burns.

Haha! That would come in handy, with these long cold Minnesota winters. :D Anyway, anything would have to be more durable than the current Nano enclosures. I love my mini because of its casing, and have waited on picking up a new iPod until I see something more durable. I have no need for a 30-60GB iPod, the 4-6 GB's is the sweet spot for me personally.

T-Reese

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2005
mozmac said:
Well, I'm waiting to be amazed. Apple has been pretty quiet in product releases as of late. I'd like to see an iPod that can play while on fire.
HAHAHAH that made me laugh

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Give me 5 years and I'll be buying these things in bulk off ebay to put in my New Year's Bonfire to replace the old magnesium VW engine blocks I use now.

Random Avenger

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2003
Aluminum is flammable too!

WildCowboy said:
For those who are interested in some of the advantages of magnesium, try this page. It's in reference to auto parts, but contains interesting general info.

Yes, magnesium is very flammable, but really only in finely powdered form.

What you people are failing to realize is that Aluminum in a finely powdered form is highly flammable too. In fact, it's the primary ingredient for solid rocket boosters.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Magnesium is also used for underwater and air flares. So, I suppose if you're out at sea and your diving lights go out, you could tinder the ol' iPod as an underwater torch. Or, maybe if you're being chased by heat-seeking missiles you could ignite your iPod and toss it out the window...

I'm sure whatever they do it will be fine, though...

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
Random Avenger said:
What you people are failing to realize is that Aluminum in a finely powdered form is highly flammable too. In fact, it's the primary ingredient for solid rocket boosters.

try lighting aluminum foil..... it won't burn try lighting a strip of magnesium and you have a light show lol

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
SteveRichardson said:
yeah whats the real difference between magnesium and aluminum?

Right now aluminum prices have skyrocketed. I've heard stories of people stealing aluminum irrigation pipes down south (the thieves turn around and sell the AL).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.