PDA

View Full Version : B&W G3 Mod

timbloom
Mar 5, 2003, 10:12 PM
I am thinking about taking this old b&w g3 and making some good use out of it.

I want to take out the logic board and "implant" it into something.

Currently my ideas have been:

1. Find a small LCD screen and implant the logic board into my coffee table, and use it to just surf the web while I watch TV or such.

2. tear the guts out of a dead Apple IIe and put it in there.

3. making a set-top box for a MP3 player, now that I have an extra 60 gig drive too, if i can find some kind of out-to-tv device for it.

What cool ideas do you guys have?

Anybody know of a 90-degree PCI riser card with just one slot, or a way to integrate TV-out into it at a low cost and not too bulky?

timbloom
Mar 24, 2003, 06:34 PM
I'm guessing this has no interest to anybody?! I would have thought people we be coming up with thousands of impossible mods by now.

thepannist
Mar 24, 2003, 07:06 PM
You will get a much better response there.

alset
Mar 24, 2003, 08:39 PM
Fit it into a small cubic box and run the video feed to a cheap LCD on your wall. Now run Flurry all day. Heh heh.

Dan

timbloom
Mar 25, 2003, 10:44 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of something useful and cool.

Rags
Mar 31, 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by timbloom
Anybody know of a 90-degree PCI riser card with just one slot... ?

Will this do it for ya? It's $15 over a servercase.com.

Rags
Mar 31, 2003, 03:11 PM
Doh that's a big image, I guess servercase uses HTML to make it small on their site. Sorry.

timbloom
Mar 31, 2003, 10:17 PM
no problem at all, but i wonder if that is tall enough to get over the other slots..... but for 15 bucks, it is worth a shot. Now I just need some kind of case that I can build the PSU into and a fan, hopefully to use as a set-top box. Anyone aware of a PCI Video card for a mac that outputs to RCA or S-Video?

AhmedFaisal
Apr 1, 2003, 01:37 AM
Got a neat aluminum ATX desktop case. Implanted the board in there. Added a CPU upgrade from Powerlogix, max of RAM, a Superdrive and big, slow thus silent HDs a capture card and an Audiophile Soundcard and made it my livingroom Comp.
Cheers,

Ahmed

GeneR
Apr 1, 2003, 12:45 PM
I really liked the idea of using an Apple IIe, but what about:

1.) A toaster oven? Put the LCD screen where the oven's glass door opens?

2.) A vacuum cleaner.... Use the top part of the vacuum as the antenna and the rest of the vacuum cleaner as the base.

3.) A TV/VCR box. Get an old case for one of those things and put it in there?

4.) (I've said this a billion times on this site so I'm sure it's nothing new: how about putting it into a Zero Halliburton case?) And add as switcher that allows you to switch between different hard drives. That way, if you have sensitive material on one hard drive, while you're online you don't have to worry about any hackers sneaking in and sucking out your HD. (My over active imagination is at work here... sorry!)

5.) Put it in a surfboard. So you can REALLY surf the internet.

Well, I just had a brain drain, so I'll stop for now. :D