Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dollarsai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
I did install Windows Vista 5384 on my Macbook. The key given to me doesn't work. Can someone please share your key with me? PM me the key and I would greatly appreciate your help.

*********Please************
It is completely legal to share a key for Beta.
And Microsoft allows the same key to be used in 10 machines.

*********Urgent***********
I have only 1 day to activate failing which my Vista will die in my Mac. Please help me...:(

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dollarsai said:
I did install Windows Vista 5384 on my Macbook. The key given to me doesn't work. Can someone please share your key with me? PM me the key and I would greatly appreciate your help.

*********Please************
It is completely legal to share a key for Beta.
And Microsoft allows the same key to be used in 10 machines.

*********Urgent***********
I have only 1 day to activate failing which my Vista will die in my Mac. Please help me...:(
email m$ and tell them your situation. they should give you anooter key

dollarsai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
I even called tham and they said they can't help me anything on a Beta stage... So, if anyone of you can help me I would be the happiest man on earth, I swear...

kouljackson

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2006
Well how do you like VIsta? Is it 64-bit now? What does "Ultrafast" search **** look like? Is the gui different? Is the wireless network protocol improved? What think you of the built in firewall and auto-update reutines that MS said they would improve...?

dollarsai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Well, the interface is good. I still couldn't get Aero working. Planning to upgrade my RAM on Macbook from 512 to 2GB. Hope that would get the Lakeport drivers work and Aero to show up...

And it looks like M$ has done some changes in terms of Security. It asks me many questions now and then, if some program tries to access something in Windows... Pity.

I would say the UI rocks, even without the eye candy. Issues with Vista (Build 5384) with my 13" black Macbook:

1. Lakeport driver has a exclamation. Aero doesn't work.
2. iSight doesn't work.
3. Bluetooth doesn't work either.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dollarsai said:
Well, the interface is good. I still couldn't get Aero working. Planning to upgrade my RAM on Macbook from 512 to 2GB. Hope that would get the Lakeport drivers work and Aero to show up...

And it looks like M$ has done some changes in terms of Security. It asks me many questions now and then, if some program tries to access something in Windows... Pity.

I would say the UI rocks, even without the eye candy. Issues with Vista (Build 5384) with my 13" black Macbook:

1. Lakeport driver has a exclamation. Aero doesn't work.
2. iSight doesn't work.
3. Bluetooth doesn't work either.
Aero needs you only to have 1GB RAM, not 2GB. iSight isn't supposed to work, and it never will. Make sure to get anti virus, it isn't that secure. Bluetooth doesn't work because apple only made bluetooth drivers for XP SP2, but not Vista Beta.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
michaeldmartin said:
Dude, Vista is open beta, you can get a licence from their site along with the ability to dl vista (for free!)
Not any more. They closed the beta after some number of people downloaded it and got codes.

B

dollarsai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
wmmk said:
Aero needs you only to have 1GB RAM, not 2GB. iSight isn't supposed to work, and it never will. Make sure to get anti virus, it isn't that secure. Bluetooth doesn't work because apple only made bluetooth drivers for XP SP2, but not Vista Beta.

Yes, But I got a very good deal for 2Gigs from oempcworld and hence planning to upgrade it to a Maximum allowed :D

But I am still worried about some people complaining that Lakeport drivers doesn't work on their Macbooks with 1Gig memory..

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dollarsai said:
Yes, But I got a very good deal for 2Gigs from oempcworld and hence planning to upgrade it to a Maximum allowed :D

But I am still worried about some people complaining that Lakeport drivers doesn't work on their Macbooks with 1Gig memory...
what is lakeport?

dollarsai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
wmmk said:
what is lakeport?

Well, it's a long story. I installed Vista on my Macbook and it would detect your video adapter as Intel 845 bla bla bla. You cannot get Aero glass effects (eye-candy) work on that. To make them work, You need to manually update the video driver as Intel Lakeport video drivers (and they say that you should have 1Gig memory).

Not a long story, right? It would be, if you ask me what's Aero glass...?:p

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
dollarsai said:
Well, it's a long story. I installed Vista on my Macbook and it would detect your video adapter as Intel 845 bla bla bla. You cannot get Aero glass effects (eye-candy) work on that. To make them work, You need to manually update the video driver as Intel Lakeport video drivers (and they say that you should have 1Gig memory).

Not a long story, right? It would be, if you ask me what's Aero glass...?:p
heh, lol, i know what aero glass is. thanks for clearing that up. there really is a lot to learn on MR!:)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
dollarsai said:

But I am still worried about some people complaining that Lakeport drivers doesn't work on their Macbooks with 1Gig memory..

Actually there are rumors of 2GB sticks working (meaning a max of 4GB in iMacs/MPB/minis/MB)

Though right now 2GB sticks run about $1000 give or take.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
7on said:
Actually there are rumors of 2GB sticks working (meaning a max of 4GB in iMacs/MPB/minis/MB)

Though right now 2GB sticks run about $1000 give or take.
would those work in MBPs?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
dollarsai said:
I think macbooks will support 2Gigs max (1GB + 1GB). Refer to Processor and Memory section here

Apple has always stated the maximum RAM in their machines following the affordable, available chip sizes at time of launch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2GB chips (for 4GB total) worked in the MBP/iMac.

dollarsai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
dollarsai said:

Great!!! Received my memory thru mail today; I was curious to install it on my Mac. I did shutdown my Mac (my Vista still had the exclamation) on Lakeport drivers. Installed the memory and rebooted to Vista. To my surprise, it had the Lakeport drivers already installed completely.

So, it is confirmed that Lakeport doesn't work with 512 MB memory and it works with 2 Gigs. Not sure about 1 Gig...

Enjoying the Aero eye-candy now. Will post images later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.