PDA

View Full Version : iPod scratch remover!!

abeyk
Jul 11, 2006, 09:44 PM
i got a black 5G iPod and i'm looking for a scratch remover. I need to remove scratches from both the front and back, I had it in a case but it scratched any way. I've heard of applesauce and ice cream, but i'm still not sure.
also i wanna know if the invisibleshield is good as it is said to be.

ToastMaster
Jul 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
Applesauce is pretty good. Not perfect, but good. I haven't had experience with Ice Creme (although most of Radtech's products are great). The metal polish Brasso (you've probably heard of it as a cheap alternative) is hit-or-miss, but it is cheap and you might have some lying around the house.

And yes, the InvisibleShield is fantastic. It's the best $20 I ever spent on an iPod accessory. It will pretty much make your iPod impervious to scratches and will pretty much never come off if you apply it correctly (which by the way is a pain).

iShane
Jul 11, 2006, 10:50 PM
Wait. So if I rub applesauce as in the food on my iPod Video it will take care of scratches? What about toothpaste?

ToastMaster
Jul 11, 2006, 11:00 PM
This:

http://www.wholesalepdas.com/ProductImages/ipod/applesauce_photo.jpg

Not this:

http://pbskids.org/rogers/R_house/rhimages/applesauce01.gif

steamboat26
Jul 11, 2006, 11:12 PM
How is brasso a hit-or-miss?
I have heard about its abilities to "erase" scratches, but i don't want to try and mess up my nano.

ToastMaster
Jul 12, 2006, 02:19 PM
I mean that some people have had great success with it, while others have had bad results or even made it worse with Brasso. I'd suggest a real cleaner like one of the above mentioned. It'll be worth the price.

KD7IWP
Jul 12, 2006, 03:32 PM
Meguiars Scratch X and lots of elbow grease worked great for the used 3G I bought.

Gerg
Jul 14, 2006, 03:51 PM
I've had decent luck with iCleaner, too.

http://www.icleaner.com/

Sesshi
Jul 14, 2006, 03:59 PM
Applesauce is pretty good. Not perfect, but good. I haven't had experience with Ice Creme (although most of Radtech's products are great). The metal polish Brasso (you've probably heard of it as a cheap alternative) is hit-or-miss, but it is cheap and you might have some lying around the house.

And yes, the InvisibleShield is fantastic. It's the best $20 I ever spent on an iPod accessory. It will pretty much make your iPod impervious to scratches and will pretty much never come off if you apply it correctly (which by the way is a pain).

What he said on every count. Invisibleshield has meant I don't really have to worry about anything other than dropping the iPod. iCleaner worked well on my scratched-to-hell Nano, although if you leave it uncased the effects are temporary of course ;) Applesauce works well too, I used it on my first 5G iPod just before it broke and I got a new one (and on the new one I already knew well enough to put it into a hard case straight away :D ).

I don't think they stress enough the elbow grease needed to get the scratches out though. I was kind of expecting a miracle "wax on, wax off" thing but I realised you have to rub pretty firmly (and long) to get the polishes to work.