PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 15.2" vs MacBook Pro 15.4"

bodi
Jul 12, 2006, 07:25 AM
Hi ,

Been having a look on the forum trying to find out if it is better to go for a powerbook g4 or MacBook pro , given that there seems to be a lot of discussion concerning the MacBook's ability with adobe products - especially photoshop , etc.
Would appreciate anyone's feedback - as i am a new user to this site - cheers

Shadow
Jul 12, 2006, 07:38 AM
With all these types of theads, it depends on what you will do with it. For Adobe/Macromedia (I am aware that Adobe have bought Macromedia), get a PowerBook. For pretty much everything else, get a MacBook Pro.

bodi
Jul 12, 2006, 08:33 AM
thanks chris,

i was told by apple , that the macbook is just as fast though ? i am really confused as to what to believe - there seems to be some really good deals on refurb macbook pros on the apple site. Stat wise it seems to be much better. why wont these programs run faster on the newer technology ?

dextertangocci
Jul 12, 2006, 09:01 AM
Apple is correct. The MBP's, and event the MB's will run even non universal apps faster than even the quickest G4, most of the time. Go with the MBP, and enjoy using PS at speeds about the same as the PB's, and be amazed at the blazing speeds of PS on the MBP when the UB of PS is released;)

MUCKYFINGERS
Jul 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
get the mbp

bodi
Jul 13, 2006, 05:37 AM
thanks for your help everyone - just ordered a MacBook pro - should be here next week :-)

risc
Jul 13, 2006, 05:45 AM
The MBP's, and event the MB's will run even non universal apps faster than even the quickest G4

HAHA! Not on my MBP(2.0 GHz 2 GB RAM)! Are you talking from experience or just towing the company line? Of course Apple are going to say the MB/MBP run PPC apps as fast or faster than the G4s, why? BECAUSE THEY DON'T SELL G4 MACHINES ANYMORE!

edit: Just noticed that the OP went ahead and ordered a MBP. Hopefully it does what you want. Having owned both a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz and a MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz I'm sorry that you got such bad advice from some of the guys here regarding how well Adobe apps actually run. Oh well CS3 should be out sometime next year.

dextertangocci
Jul 13, 2006, 07:51 AM
HAHA! Not on my MBP(2.0 GHz 2 GB RAM)! Are you talking from experience or just towing the company line? Of course Apple are going to say the MB/MBP run PPC apps as fast or faster than the G4s, why? BECAUSE THEY DON'T SELL G4 MACHINES ANYMORE!

edit: Just noticed that the OP went ahead and ordered a MBP. Hopefully it does what you want. Having owned both a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz and a MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz I'm sorry that you got such bad advice from some of the guys here regarding how well Adobe apps actually run. Oh well CS3 should be out sometime next year.

I speak out of experience. I have the 2Ghz white MB, and it is faster than my mom's 1.5Ghz PB when using a non UB app;)

risc
Jul 13, 2006, 08:01 AM
I speak out of experience. I have the 2Ghz white MB, and it is faster than my mom's 1.5Ghz PB when using a non UB app;)

Are you talking about Adobe apps like the OP asked about or just some random app? Because both Microsoft Office v.X 2004 and Adobe Photoshop suck here compared to running them on a G4.

dextertangocci
Jul 13, 2006, 10:40 AM
Are you talking about Adobe apps like the OP asked about or just some random app? Because both Microsoft Office v.X 2004 and Adobe Photoshop suck here compared to running them on a G4.

Non UB games, MS office:mad: (I hate it), iWork 2005 etc.

I also installed Photoshop CS2 premium trial version, and it starts up quicker on my MB than on the PB. (I don't know how to use it, and thus can't conduct any further tests:o )

generik
Jul 13, 2006, 11:53 AM
Who cares about CS, for the rest of the applications the MBP trounces the PB anytime.

PS: If you care that much about CS, hey... CS3 is coming out in 6-7 months time. What'd happen to your PB then? Your MBP will still be smokin'.

Chrispy
Jul 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
Office runs very slow on my roommate's MB compared to the G4 12" PowerBook she sold to buy the MB. That said, as more apps go universal you will be glad you bought the MBP.

dollystereo
Jul 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
Office Sux on my MPB, it takes ages to open, and excel is barely usable!
Photoshop sux to, try to do something with a picture larger than 2 MB
Anyway is just a matter of time, everything is going universal...

QCassidy352
Jul 13, 2006, 12:34 PM

MS office 2004 runs faster on my macbook than it did on my ibook G4 1.33 with 1.5 GB RAM. And it crashes less.

risc
Jul 13, 2006, 05:18 PM
Who cares about CS, for the rest of the applications the MBP trounces the PB anytime.

PS: If you care that much about CS, hey... CS3 is coming out in 6-7 months time. What'd happen to your PB then? Your MBP will still be smokin'.

Who cares about CS? Try reading the first post on this thread I bet you'll find the OP cares about Adobe apps. :rolleyes:

gregio
Jul 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
While it's debatable how running applications in Rosetta compares to running them natively on a G4, I think buying a laptop, unless you just have a ton of money to throw away, is a pretty big investment, so for that reason, I'd say you made the right choice. While you might suffer from slower speeds temporarily, your computer will last you longer than if you had bought one that was already "obsolete".

Enjoy your new MacBook Pro! I'm loving mine. :)

dmw007
Jul 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
thanks for your help everyone - just ordered a MacBook pro - should be here next week :-)

Congrats on the purchase of your MacBook Pro bodi! :)
You will love using it when it arrives. :)

bodi
Jul 27, 2006, 06:56 AM
had my macbook pro a week now and it magic! I am Photoshop CS and not really noticing it being any slower than the iMac I use at work.
If it works this well now - i can't wait to see how it will be when they release the new version PS!