PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook to Macbook Pro

jbrown
Jul 12, 2006, 09:13 AM
Two questions.

1) Is the ram from my 1.25 G4 PB compatable with a 1.8 Macbook Pro?

2) How can I migrate all my files and settings from my Powerbook G4 to my new MacBook Pro - in the old days I'd just use Carbon Copy Cloner - but not sure it'll work going from the G4 to Intel powered MacBook Pro 1.8. Any easy ways without having to reinstal everything from scratch?

cheers

:)

ChrisBrightwell
Jul 12, 2006, 10:44 AM
1) Is the ram from my 1.25 G4 PB compatable with a 1.8 Macbook Pro?As I understand it, no. The old PowerBooks use DDR, whereas the new MBP uses DDR2.

2) How can I migrate all my files and settings from my Powerbook G4 to my new MacBook Pro - in the old days I'd just use Carbon Copy Cloner - but not sure it'll work going from the G4 to Intel powered MacBook Pro 1.8. Any easy ways without having to reinstal everything from scratch?OS X's migration tool should do the trick.

QCassidy352
Jul 12, 2006, 10:50 AM
As I understand it, no. The old PowerBooks use DDR, whereas the new MBP uses DDR2.

correct, the PB G4 RAM will not work on the MBP.

OS X's migration tool should do the trick.

Yeah. :) When I went from my ibook to my macbook, I used the migration tool, checked all the options, and let it do its thing. When I started up the macbook, I was amazed. Everything, and I mean everything, was in place. Except for downloading universal versions of software, there was nothing to set up on the macbook at all; it was like a twin of the ibook.

jeremy.king
Jul 12, 2006, 01:12 PM
Dont forget to update or remove any old PPC pref panes after doing the Migration. You will find they just don't run :(

Or better, if someone has got them to work, let me know - i would still love to use Detour.