PDA

View Full Version : nvidia or radeon

Foxer
Mar 6, 2003, 02:00 PM
Hey all. I bought a new Powermac yesterday from the Apple Store here in town. I was planning on picking up the 128g nVidia card at CompUSA. Should I wait for the Radeon 9700? Advice?

Foxer
Mar 6, 2003, 02:15 PM
Found an old thread that addressed this issue. Any idea when teh Radeon 9700 will be available?

yzedf
Mar 6, 2003, 02:18 PM
Wait for the new Radeon 9800.

9700 is sooo yesterday... ;)

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030306/index.html

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 6, 2003, 02:35 PM
Tuff call, sure the 9700 is the best available for the mac at this moment but is it really available? with new products from ati and nvidea coming soon this is a hard call. wonder what the Apple brains will do on this one. Either way both companys are moving ahead with their product lines which is more then we ever got out of motorola. Ati's history with mac and drivers has been suspect to say the least but i have no solid answer for you. I guess if i ordered a mac today it would be the geforce 4 tit since they have yet to ship the ati 9700 and who knows how long it will take? On the other hand if i could wait a month or so then it would be the ati 9700 but if they just announced the 9800 how long till apple uses it. Confused? I am.

Chrisnorth
Mar 6, 2003, 02:51 PM
ATI and Nvidia both make good products. The difference in performance between their high end stuff is probably negligible. As long as the Macintosh drivers aren't an issue, and video out options are the same, I'd go with the product that cost less.

topicolo
Mar 6, 2003, 03:56 PM
On the PC side, the Radeon 9700 is a good 1.5-2.5x faster than the fastest Geforce 4, the Geforce 4 Ti 4600. If you want the fastest card you can get your hands on for mac, definitely go with the Radeon. In addition to having better hardware, the Radeon should have better/more efficient mac drivers than Nvidias mac drivers.

TyleRomeo
Mar 6, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
Hey all. I bought a new Powermac yesterday from the Apple Store here in town. I was planning on picking up the 128g nVidia card at CompUSA. Should I wait for the Radeon 9700? Advice?

ok the nvidia Ti card has been availible for the mac for over a year now, its old, and not worth the money, if it was an extra $100 then its a good deal but the 9700 destoys the Ti card. for the time being enjoy the 9000, i have it and works great in the original 1.25.

Tyler

MrMacMan
Mar 6, 2003, 04:17 PM
I'd wait for the 9700.

The GeForce Ti 's were smoked and the FX took up two slots. :confused:

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 6, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
ok the nvidia Ti card has been availible for the mac for over a year now, its old, and not worth the money, if it was an extra $100 then its a good deal but the 9700 destoys the Ti card. for the time being enjoy the 9000, i have it and works great in the original 1.25.

Tyler Maybe this is the best advice because when better cards come and they will you can get one of those latter. In the mean time save a few bucks.

crazzyeddie
Mar 6, 2003, 04:34 PM
I cant imagine you needing more than a Radeon 9000 at this point. None of the games even fully use the GF4Ti, let alone the power of the 9700. Stick with the 9000 until the games start actually using that power.

MaxArturo
Mar 6, 2003, 04:46 PM
Always wait for Radeon, I used to buy nVidia and I was so pissed off, I decided to go with Radeon this time and was pleasantly surprised.

iJon
Mar 6, 2003, 10:59 PM
well nvidia came out with some new badass cards today. now their cards have 256 mb of ddr ram, which is double than anything else ati or nividia had to offer. hope these come to mac, when need a better selection than 2 cards that can play games.

iJon

Tomasz
Mar 6, 2003, 11:36 PM
Hey, iJon

Actually, nVidia didn't come out with anything new that is "badass". Their new cards are just FX derivatives for the masses (cheaper/slower). The only thing that is sort of recent from them is the quadro FX, but, I have yet to see any plans of it coming to the mac (but if i'm wrong... that would be okay with me). Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the 5800 FX ultra is still hard to find in most places.... they really messed up with that one.

And, ATI also announced some new cards today, except they also announced a card that is faster than their current offering. Also, in April, the 9800 pro is supposed to have 256mb. (as a note, matrox has had their paraphnelia (spelling?) with 256mb forever now, and most higher level cards have such options anyway).

I personally would get a card from ATI, they have improved dramatically recently.

Tomasz

iJon
Mar 6, 2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Tomasz
Hey, iJon

Actually, nVidia didn't come out with anything new that is "badass". Their new cards are just FX derivatives for the masses (cheaper/slower). The only thing that is sort of recent from them is the quadro FX, but, I have yet to see any plans of it coming to the mac (but if i'm wrong... that would be okay with me). Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the 5800 FX ultra is still hard to find in most places.... they really messed up with that one.

And, ATI also announced some new cards today, except they also announced a card that is faster than their current offering. Also, in April, the 9800 pro is supposed to have 256mb. (as a note, matrox has had their paraphnelia (spelling?) with 256mb forever now, and most higher level cards have such options anyway).

I personally would get a card from ATI, they have improved dramatically recently.

Tomasz
haha well they looked badass, still are in my opinion. on my pc i will continue to go with nvidia just because ati's drivers have been bad in the past and many peopl i work with and talk to have the same feelings from their expereinces. on the mac i could care less what card i have because i dont play games on my mac. i still feel sorry for mac users who have to pay 400 dollars for a geforce 4 ti 4600 when in the pc world you can get them for about 200. i think ati will slowly steal the mac market, just because they offer a wider variety of cards on the mac side. nvidia just has the 4600 you can buy, you cant buy the 4200,4400,4800,mx,fx or any of that stuff. at least ati allows people to manage their budget with their cards on the mac side.

iJon

ddtlm
Mar 7, 2003, 12:13 AM
On my PC, I'm sticking with nVidia too. ATI is going to have to demonstrate consistient good drivers for a while before I buy another one of their products.

maradong
Mar 7, 2003, 06:31 AM
radeon for sure.
( much better aa an af. )

iJon
Mar 7, 2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by ddtlm
On my PC, I'm sticking with nVidia too. ATI is going to have to demonstrate consistient good drivers for a while before I buy another one of their products.
completely, their drivers for the time being are s***.

iJon

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 7, 2003, 08:51 AM
Here is the geforce4 titanium replacement by nvidea. hopefully apple will use it. Maccentral reports that the fx chip uses the same architecture as the gfforce4 tit so it should be a easy upgrade sort of speak for apple. And it wont sound like a vacume cleaner as the 5800fx does nor use 2 slotts.