PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade in my old PB for a new iBook?




jmort
Jul 13, 2006, 02:28 PM
I've got a PowerPC 1.67 17" Powerbook w/ superdrive, 100GB, 1.5GB ram, ATI graphics card. I'm thinking I can sell it on ebay for arount $1500 (does that sound fair) and score a new intel iBook.

My question is: how would these machines compare. I haven't used the ibooks or even seen them in person yet. I primarily do web desisgn, photoshop, some amateur video editing, very light gaming (myst, halo). I'm not excited about losing screen real estate, but if there is a considerable gain in performance, I would do it. If anybody has used both, what are your thoughts, and what would you reccommend for me?

Thanks guys.
Josh

EDIT: oops, macbook, not ibook, thanks for the reminder.



bluebomberman
Jul 13, 2006, 02:41 PM
I've got a PowerPC 1.67 17" Powerbook w/ superdrive, 100GB, 1.5GB ram, ATI graphics card. I'm thinking I can sell it on ebay for arount $1500 (does that sound fair) and score a new intel iBook.

My question is: how would these machines compare. I haven't used the ibooks or even seen them in person yet. I primarily do web desisgn, photoshop, some amateur video editing, very light gaming (myst, halo). I'm not excited about losing screen real estate, but if there is a considerable gain in performance, I would do it. If anybody has used both, what are your thoughts, and what would you reccommend for me?

Thanks guys.
Josh
Er...your title is confusing. They don't make iBooks anymore. (The new MacBooks with Intel chips replaced the iBooks.)

When I saw your thread title, I thought: what, are you nuts? You want to DOWNGRADE?:eek:

EDIT: I should give some real advice while I'm here. That's a lot of screen you'd be giving up if you get a MacBook. It's gonna feel like a downgrade, even if it is in some ways an upgrade.

steamboat26
Jul 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
If you have an extra $500 or so to invest, then trade in your powerbook for a macbook pro. That would feel like a true upgrade.

jmort
Jul 13, 2006, 02:47 PM
If you have an extra $500 or so to invest, then trade in your powerbook for a macbook pro. That would feel like a true upgrade.

unfortunately I don't. It would need to be a lossless transaction. I wish I could though...

dextertangocci
Jul 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
I think you should keep your PB, and wait until you have enough cash for a MBP:cool: Then you'd be upgrading;)

steamboat26
Jul 13, 2006, 02:56 PM
I think it would make for an interesting experiment, see how a macbook compares to a powerbook. Anybody know about a comparison test between these two?

Bill Gates
Jul 13, 2006, 03:13 PM
Keep your PowerBook. That was top-of-the-line just months ago. If I were in your position, I would hold onto it until Q2 2007 when Santa Rosa comes out. Unless you can benefit right now from the architectural change then you won't be seeing much benefit from the switch. As others have stated, you will be giving up screen area, resolution, and graphics power. Photoshop isn't even universal yet so it would run slower on a new computer than it currently does.