Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I'm looking to upgrade my iBook's internal hard drive. Its a 1.2 gHz G4 with 1.25gigs of RAM. Right now, the HD is the stock 30gig. System Profiler says its a Fujitsu model number MHT2030AT.

First off: How easy is it to swap the HD myself?? The laptop is just over a year old so its out of warrenty from Apple. I've built plenty of PC's but all I've ever done to a laptop is install RAM.

Next: Any suggestions on which HD I should buy?? I'd like to get a 7200 RPM but I'm not sure if that will make the laptop too hot. I mostly use it for Adobe apps and I play World of Warcraft on it every now and then. I'd also like it to be at least 80 gigs.

Any help at all would be greatly appriciated. And if there is another forum that is like this, please link it as I couldn't find one. Maybe its because its 1am and I'm half asleep :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Look through this iFixit guide (12") to determine whether you think the process is too difficult. It's quite hard by most standards, but nowhere near impossible. :)

A 7200RPM drive shouldn't make your iBook all that much hotter in practice although different brands of hard disks have different levels of heat dissipation, irrespective of their speed.

I don't have any particular brands to recommend. I think they're all lovely. :)

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the link MadJew. I think I'll try it. I'm looking at getting this: Hitachi 100 gig. Seems to be a pretty good deal.

If anyone out there has replaced their iBook's HD and has any tips, I'd love to hear them. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Good stuff. Use a large piece of tape to keep all the screws sorted and together. Alternatively, use an ice cube tray. Maybe even label all the screws that come off it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.