PDA

View Full Version : Random fluctuating volume?!

April Dancer
Jul 14, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hi

Just lately, my 5G has developed its own personality. When watching a video the volume bar will suddenly appear and start jumping around until it finally settles down at minimum volume (I usually have it up fairly high).

I thought maybe mobile phones etc were affecting it but it's no nearer to one that it always is. Bizarre... any clues anyone?

Thanks!:)

PilotWoo
Jul 14, 2006, 10:26 AM
I had this on my 5g. It turned out to be a faulty click wheel, and Apple replaced the whole device.

April Dancer
Jul 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
Uh oh, that doesn't sound too good.... :eek:

Thanks PilotWoo

Sesshi
Jul 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
I've started getting this sometimes when it's in my bag. It's not that near my mobile (I know that causes volume fluctuations) so I can't quite explain it. Could you keep us posted on what happens with you? Thanks.

fatties
Jul 14, 2006, 04:41 PM
i had that with mine. but volume went right up and thge ipod tried to deathen me.

i think its defo the phone as we don't have reception on the underground and this only ever happen when i am on a train and the signal tower changes.

Sesshi
Jul 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
Ahh. Very good point. Mobile ramps up power trying to reach a station. Glad it didn't succeed in deathening you :D

April Dancer
Jul 15, 2006, 02:04 AM
i think its defo the phone as we don't have reception on the underground and this only ever happen when i am on a train and the signal tower changes.

It only happens to me on the train too, I didn't realise that but thinking about it... But it's only ever during the video, never when I'm playing music. :confused:

balamw
Jul 15, 2006, 02:12 AM
The mobile phone (GSM only) can be up to 6 inches away and still cause some interference under some conditions.

If you're just watching video, use the lock switch on the top of the iPod to stop it from listening to the signals from your phone via the clickwheel. As a bonus it seems like the battery lasts a bit longer when the switch is engaged...

B