Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplegrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Hi all,

After two years of using my PowerBook 17'' - 1,33 Ghz without a problem, I now have awful vertical solid lines of 1px (and 1px distance from each other) all the way down on the display, which affect only specific colours.

Recently while I was working, suddenly the display developed those vertical lines everywhere where there was a black colour! The lines are solid blue and 1px thick, with 1px distance. When I move the black picture around the lines move as well, so it is not a fixed position on the display. On external monitor everything is fine! All hardware tests show no problem and re-sets don't improve the issue.

Originally this began re-appearing every time after ca 20 min of using the PB. When PB is cold and starting up, even now, the display is fine for few minutes, then it goes wrong. Lately the same effect started appearing also on the red colour (pink lines) and green colour (light green lines). Also blue pixelated shades appear around windows.

Although no warranty (2 years old), I went to a Apple certified service (in Bulgaria) to find out the cause. They opened it and think it's the display cable, although it could be the display matrix as well (they say). No visible isues inside. Apparently, one cannot order only the display cable (unless second hand), but has to change the whole display.

Questions:
Do you guys think it could be the cable only? How come only specific colours are affected? Can the cable "see" the colours? Is it not likely to be some computations and electronics involved?

Thanks for your valuable comments

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I personnally think it is your video card. on my old PC I got these weird vertical lines. I replaced the graphics card and it was fine. Then again an old PC notebook I had, it had weird colours all over it, everytime I pressed on the keyboard it would be fine. But the lines make me think that it is your graphics card.

purplegrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Many thanks,

but on the other hand on an external display it is all perfect! Would the video card not send those errors also to the external display if it was damaged...?

Thanks

tainice

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
Try to run the native display and the external monitor simultaneously in mirror mode and see what will happen.

purplegrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I use external display in mirror-mode and the external is fine, while the PB display is not.
I still cannot imagine what could cause only specific colours to be affected... Can that really be the LCD-cable only? Also, it seems temperature dependent. Would the cable be also temperature-affected? When the PB is really cold it's all fine for ca 10-20 mins.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Sounds like an LCD issue, I had an SGI flatpanel that developed the same symptoms and replacement was the only fix.

Considering its basically shot, when it does make the colored lines, *lightly* press the screen, move the machine around and see if there is an internal LCD connection that is loose; if you are getting responses that react to pressure or movement, it would be more likely the LCD than the vid card.

In terms of repair, that is your call if it is worth it to you to replace the machine, or the panel (there are companies that sell just LCDs for laptops out there)

purplegrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Thanks again for the suggestions.

The screen & lines don't react at all on pressure or movement. Once the lines appear, they are firmly there. :confused:

I will try to post some pics later today...

purplegrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Finally!
I have photos of my screen.

The techies amongst you will be able to tell what is wrong I think, if it's the LCD, the cable or the whole motherboard.

On EXTERNAL MONITOR - NO LINES, all fine!

http://www.metodi.de/pb_screen/

What do you think?

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
If an external monitor works normally, then it's not the video card, so I'm guessing you should check if a cable has come loose inside.
(Btw, that face looks freaky)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.