PDA

View Full Version : Weird iBook Power Promblem - help

-i2i-
Jul 14, 2006, 12:04 PM
Whilst I was away one Friday my brother decided it would be fun to have a go on my iBook. When I came home the 'nib' of my power adaptor had snapped off. I ordered another off eBay but when this arrived it stuttered on charging my iBook so I asked them for a replacement.

I got that new adaptor yesterday and it has the same problem, now I'm sure its something more serious with my ibook.

Whenver I plug in the adaptor the orange ring lights up and it will begin charging. After ~10 seconds it will stop charging and change to battery life. It continues to switch and change like this around every 10 seconds, no matter what position I hold the cable in. I have left my iBook for a day and so far it has charged up to 14% without me even touching it!

I think its screwed, I still haven't found the broken 'nib' of the old power adaptor so I'm fearing that it may be lodged inside. I've tried resetting the PMU to no avail.

Anyone got any suggestions or is it going to be another costly trip to the Genius bar?

Thanks,

California
Jul 14, 2006, 01:06 PM
yeah something is messed up. However, it may come under normal usage and Applecare might cover it so just take it in, if you still have applecare. I can't remember if the dc in is a separate board on the ibook but if it is, they just replace that. Don't force or jam anything in the meantime.

ITASOR
Jul 14, 2006, 01:18 PM
I can't remember if the dc in is a separate board on the ibook but if it is, they just replace that.

Yes it is, and it's a cheap easy fix. You could even do it yourself (if not under a warranty of course).

I actually have a bunch of these boards....if you need one, let me know.

-i2i-
Jul 14, 2006, 02:16 PM
No it's not under warranty so I'm fine to meddle with it. Will it be hard to change the board, I saw a few on eBay where it looks like u just unplug them but is it going to be a mission to get to the board?