PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO! PLEASE HELP (Airport Extreme Card )

Eckslusive
Mar 6, 2003, 06:42 PM
Okay, I just bought a non-refundable Airport Extreme Card for my Dual Processor G4 1GHZ (mirror drives). And then I found out that it wasn't Extreme Compatible. Is there anyway that I can make the card work??

Sun Baked
Mar 6, 2003, 06:51 PM
Nope, the new cards are on a totally different bus than the old ones.

It may not be refundable, but you can always try swapping it for the other type of card.

Eckslusive
Mar 6, 2003, 06:52 PM
awww that sucks! thats totally retarded and bogus!

Flowbee
Mar 6, 2003, 06:53 PM
Your best be is to sell it on ebay (you'll get nearly full price for it) and then buy a regular airport card ($20 cheaper than the extreme card).

Or maybe someone here would trade their regualr airport card for your extreme card.

Otherwise, I don't think there's an adaptor (yet).

Kwyjibo
Mar 6, 2003, 07:12 PM
You may want to see if somoene on MR wants to trade for a regular card +15 or 20 so each of oyu benefit. Just a thought

kansaigaijin
Mar 6, 2003, 07:40 PM
take it to the MacMarket on Fourth at MacDonald, they will sell it on consignment, or maybe trade for a regular one. much less hassle than eBay.

macstudent
Mar 6, 2003, 07:54 PM
Actually, there may be a way for it to work.

I have heard that airport extreme will be able to work via the pcmca(spell?) slot on powerbooks. Now I know you can get pcmca readers for your g4, therefore you could plug your airport extreme into the pcmca reader and plug that into your pcmca adapter and it might work.

But this would be pointless since you would be spending more $$ than it would cost to purchase a new old airport card. But it would be fun to try:)

JustAGuy
Mar 6, 2003, 07:54 PM
Where'd you get a non-refundable G card? Seems odd to me to be getting very new hardware without the possibility of return. All the local Mac shops take returns.

Eckslusive
Mar 6, 2003, 09:42 PM
do you think they will come out with adapters anytime soon?!?!

Kwyjibo
Mar 6, 2003, 10:12 PM
proably not that soon it seems like apple wants to sell new computers with g so they ...sell more computers

Eckslusive
Mar 6, 2003, 10:14 PM
THAT IS THE WORST MARKETING EVER...That just makes people that want Extreme on their old mac just not buy it. Do they really think that people will buy a WHOLE NEW system just so they can use Extreme...sigh...apple, apple, apple....

Kwyjibo
Mar 6, 2003, 10:25 PM
i would think since a g router is backwards comaptible they are very open to those ppl with older macs connection via .b i'm not sure its a direct strategy of apples but i would assume they figure most ppl are smart enough to buy the correct card at the time of purchase (i'm not saying you but in general they might ask the sales rep or person they buy from for the correct card). Also it seems like many of the older macs wouldn't have a port with suffiecent speed for this new tech neway (the laptops and old imacs)

Sun Baked
Mar 6, 2003, 10:32 PM
Somebody will have a PCI upgrade card for it, but watch it'll only have PC drivers. :rolleyes:

iJon
Mar 6, 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Eckslusive
THAT IS THE WORST MARKETING EVER...That just makes people that want Extreme on their old mac just not buy it. Do they really think that people will buy a WHOLE NEW system just so they can use Extreme...sigh...apple, apple, apple....
its not marketing. its just hardware and im sure they woud have used the old form factor if all possibly. its smart apple used the new form factor, way more smaller an can reduce weight. when apple came out with firewire no one complained that they couldnt use it, they just went and bought a third party card that would allow firewire on their computer.

iJon

daniel77
Mar 7, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Eckslusive
Okay, I just bought a non-refundable Airport Extreme Card for my Dual Processor G4 1GHZ (mirror drives). And then I found out that it wasn't Extreme Compatible. Is there anyway that I can make the card work??

hey i remember you, B418 :P :D (its pacifica )

Eckslusive
Mar 7, 2003, 08:40 AM
hahaha hey :D :D :D What happened to B418? is it dead now? i hven't gone in a long time.

Macpoops
Mar 7, 2003, 10:18 AM
Any one know the throughput on a PCMCIA bus? Can it even handle the throughput from a G card? That might be the reason apple didn't pick it.

MacBandit
Mar 7, 2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Macpoops
Any one know the throughput on a PCMCIA bus? Can it even handle the throughput from a G card? That might be the reason apple didn't pick it.

It sure can. The slot that Apple used for the regular Airport card apparently could not though. That is the reason for the new form factor.

James.Paul
Mar 7, 2003, 11:06 AM
I have a spare old style airport card and would be interested in a trade for it. I'm in the UK though and I'm not sure what you would like in addition to the card. If you are interested email me at british_webobjects@mac.com. I'd get it posted off Saturday. I have a friend in Victoria who could be the middleman if needed.

rainman::|:|
Mar 7, 2003, 11:52 AM
if and when they make PCI cards for AE, it won't hold an 802.11g card, it will *be* an 802.11g card. there won't ever be any adapter to make the AE card work on other computers-- i think it's a proprietary interface anyway.

I don't know how 'retarded' your computer is, but *you're* the one that bought an incompatable card.

pnw