Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Hi, I'm thinking about doing the switch from pc to mac and would like to buy an imac and ibook. My biggest concern is what are my options when I want to transfer a file between the two? Besides using a CD-RW disc or buying an external drive I have no idea. I've been thinking about getting an older ibook w/out CD-RW and would really like to avoid buying airport cards and trying to set up a network. The imac will probably be an older 700mhz w/flat screen.

My budget is really tight since I will be paying my way through grad school next fall but I don't trust my 5 yr old Inspiron will last much longer. I was planning on just getting a 12-in ibook but then I got a good look at them in my local apple store and realized I couldn't deal with a screen that small on a permanent basis (Inspiron was 13-in). Still debating whether or not to just get a 14-in ibook but I like the idea of having both an ibook and imac better.

Getting back to my question ... is there some kind of way to connect the two with a single cable? I don't care how slow it is just as long as it's simple for a novice. My guess is no and I will have to set up some kind of network.

One last thing... if I did end up getting airport cards for the two would they be able to network with each other w/out me buying a base station? I don't really understand how this technology works and think it's a bit pricey.

Thanks a bunch to anyone who offers their wisdom.

-Christine

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
best way i know is if you want to say transfer files from the imac to the ibook, you connect the ibook via a firewire cable then you restart the ibook and hold down "t" this the screen will go blank except for a firewire symbol and the ibook's harddrive will show up on the imac and you can just trasnfer files at fast firewire speed between the too...basically it makes the ibook and external harddrive temporarily.

the only bad thing is that you wouldn't be able to have both on...but if you were to buy airport cards for the two then in the finder press "go" on the toolbar and connect to server you will see the other computer automatically, and you can connect to it and drop files into it through the drop box, its really easy to do and really doesn't require setting up. i'm guessing you might be able to just do this with an ethernet cable...i don't know, i never have cause i havn't needed to, but maybe try that out.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
When I want to transfer files between my iBook and my friend's iMac, we just use FireWire. Plug it into both machines with one of them off, and then as soon as you hear the chime on thr machine you turn on, press and hold the "t" key until you get a FireWire logo bouncing on the screen. Then, whichever computer has the FW logo on it shows up as an external HD on the other computer...I'm sure you can network, but this is just the way I do it.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I've had varying success with just a single ethernet cable between an imac and an ibook. Set ethernet to dhcp in network pane of sys prefs (tcp/ip tab) then turn appletalk on (appletalk tab). I've had it work before, but it seems to be sketchy (it might be with the tcp/ip settings, but I'm not a networking expert so I don't know for sure).

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
oh, btw, I love firewire target disk mode ('t' key startup). It saved all my data when my system crashed and corrupted key system files.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Yeah, I usually download new iApps and OS X updates and other software from Apple since I have DSL and my friend has modem, and then I give them to him with iBook. Then again, I could use my iPod, oh well.

ezri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
thanks for all the info....the firewire option sounds easiest. Once I get used to using macs I'll think about setting up a network.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
All you need is an ethernet crossover cable. Yes it is a different cable then you would use for connecting to a hub or a network. It is specifically for connecting between two computers that have on board ethernet without having to use a router in between them. Once you have done that all you have to do is setup the Appletalk and Sharring preferences on both of them and then connect. It's actually quite simple and will provide you with up to a 100Mbit connection.

By the way you don't need to mess with the ethernet settings at all. No changing to DHCP or any such thing. Simply use Appletalk and Sharring.

There should be a guide on how to setup the preferences in the Apple Help Guide within the system.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
don't use firewire, it's not the easiest way... what happens if you need a file on your iBook and you have all of your work loaded, and the iMac is busy (folding?)... you won't want to have to shut one down and worry about target disk mode... just get an ethernet cable and network them the old fashoned way. you'll have on-the-fly access to the other computer.

tho Airport is the way to go if you can afford it-- it's like Ethernet (okay, a tad slower) but totally wireless. Plus, since it's a standard, you can use your iBook to surf the web wirelessly at any 'hotspot'... coffee houses, parks, and mass transportation are good examples of where hotspots are.

pnw

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by MacBandit
All you need is an ethernet crossover cable. Yes it is a different cable then you would use for connecting to a hub or a network. It is specifically for connecting between two computers that have on board ethernet without having to use a router in between them. Once you have done that all you have to do is setup the Appletalk and Sharring preferences on both of them and then connect. It's actually quite simple and will provide you with up to a 100Mbit connection.

By the way you don't need to mess with the ethernet settings at all. No changing to DHCP or any such thing. Simply use Appletalk and Sharring.

There should be a guide on how to setup the preferences in the Apple Help Guide within the system.

One may not even need a cross-over cable, since most new macs automatically detect whether a cross-over cable is needed, and adjust accordingly.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
One may not even need a cross-over cable, since most new macs automatically detect whether a cross-over cable is needed, and adjust accordingly.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

That is the reason for the "varying success"

I would suggest a permenent network, because if you do not allready, you will probably get broadband in the near future.

A nice, easy (but not the cheapest), way to do this would be to get an airport base station and an airport card with your machines. Have the airport card put into the ibook, and have the iMac wired directly into the base station. This would give you wireless freedom with the ibook, and allow you to transfer files without shutting down or messing with wires each time you want to copy files.

ezri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
The crossover cable seems more like what I was looking for and I'm guessing that it would connect a mac and pc as well. That would be very useful when I have to transfer my files from the old windows laptop to the mac, since I've already got an old ethernet card installed.

In my dreams I have the money to afford broadband service and an airport network, but that won't be true for many years. I may just get the airport card for the ibook since i will be living in nyc and there are many hotspots there to take advantage of.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by ezri
The crossover cable seems more like what I was looking for and I'm guessing that it would connect a mac and pc as well. That would be very useful when I have to transfer my files from the old windows laptop to the mac, since I've already got an old ethernet card installed.

In my dreams I have the money to afford broadband service and an airport network, but that won't be true for many years. I may just get the airport card for the ibook since i will be living in nyc and there are many hotspots there to take advantage of.

Just get the crossover cable it will be compatible with Macs and Pcs and comes will no doubt come in hand at times in the future when you just want to connect to another computer.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Originally posted by timbloom
That is the reason for the "varying success"

I would suggest a permenent network, because if you do not allready, you will probably get broadband in the near future.

A nice, easy (but not the cheapest), way to do this would be to get an airport base station and an airport card with your machines. Have the airport card put into the ibook, and have the iMac wired directly into the base station. This would give you wireless freedom with the ibook, and allow you to transfer files without shutting down or messing with wires each time you want to copy files.

Ahh, learning more and more about networking. It's nice to have the network experts sound in.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.