PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4: Failing SO-DIMM?

fistful
Jul 15, 2006, 11:47 AM
First off my computer came with 256mb of "hynix" branded Ram to which I added 512mb of "crucial" Ram.

I first noticed the problem when I realized there was no start up chime so I reset the PMU, PRAM in hoping to resolve the issue to no avail. I did some searching and found it could be caused by failed or unseated Ram. I took a look and sure enough only 512mb was showing. I then opened it up made sure the ram was seated, same thing. I then switched the two modules and for a time this seemed to do the trick until some time later the system would randomly freeze, I restarted with no chime and and only 256mb showing. I then removed both modules placing only the crucial Ram in the upper SO-DIMM. It's been a few days now and everything seems to be working fine albeit marginally slower.

Just wondering if first does that sound like a proper diagnosis and second what my course of action should be. Get it repaired, stick it out with 512mb until I replace the computer itself as I had planned either later this year or early next, or switch out the 512 for 1gb as a stop gap?

If I had gotten AppleCare it would still be under warranty but unfortunately I did not get it. I certainly learned my lesson as I have had one HD fail out of warranty and now this. I've also had one power adapter replaced through warranty and now I have a second out of warranty that seems to be having similar issues as the last.

Any advice, insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Eidorian
Jul 15, 2006, 12:03 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173

Does this apply to you?

fistful
Jul 15, 2006, 12:10 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173

Does this apply to you?

Unfortunately no, it is a 2004 1.33Ghz PB.

WildCowboy
Jul 15, 2006, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately it does sound like a lower RAM slot failure. Not sure how much the repair runs, but like any Apple notebook repair, it won't be cheap. :(

Can you take it by an Apple Store and see how much the repair would run? If it's running too slow for you right now, upping the working slot to a 1 GB module might be cheaper and a good stopgap measure as you say.

AlBDamned
Jul 17, 2006, 03:47 AM
Does sound a lot like lower RAM slot failure :( .

A new logic board including replacement cost is about 500-600 if it's out of warranty.

You could ask Apple about it. It's very unfair that their repair scheme doesn't cover certain serial numbers. I'd definitely try that avenue. Other than that, upping the RAM to 1GB is a good workaround, although they do tend to run really, really hot when just using 1 RAM slot so be careful there.