PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 3650, 7650 anybody?

meta-ghost
Mar 6, 2003, 11:41 PM
I'm looking at Nokia's 3650 and 7650 phones. In short, both are Bluetooth and SyncML compliant. Anybody with experience with these phones?

Jaykay
Mar 7, 2003, 04:18 AM
Yup. I have a 7650 and i use it with my mac, what do you want to know.?

meta-ghost
Mar 7, 2003, 09:43 AM
Great. Are you satisfied with it? I'm wondering about how well the interface works (calender, contacts, notes) and whether you've had success syncing all of it via bluetooth with OS X. Thanks in advance.

robbieduncan
Mar 7, 2003, 10:31 AM
These phone do not work with iSync at the moment. It appears that Nokia only implemented SyncML over GSM, not Bluetooth!

Jaykay
Mar 7, 2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by robbieduncan
These phone do not work with iSync at the moment. It appears that Nokia only implemented SyncML over GSM, not Bluetooth!

Im afraid hes right on that one, isync doesnt work (yet, hopefully) with these phones.

Apart from that i love this phone, its not that big, the interface works well as the series 60 symbian os has a great layout. The camera is funky and it can send pictures to the mac no problem.

I have my phone working as a modem sometimes (i dont use it that often - its not DSL) and it works great, although i havents gotten it to use GPRS for the internet (but im positive thats just me not knowing how to do it rather than the phone).

The only problem ive had with the mac and my phone is being able to tranfer files, im sure there is a program out there somewhere to do this, i just dont know about it. This really sucks thugh.

The applications that come on the phone work very nicely (its even got cut,copy and paste).

The batteries are decent, but by far the best thing about this phone is the amount of 3rd party apps for it. (I had Doom - which worked cery well - but now i have mario on a GBC emulator). All in all i like it, some minor flaws (like lack of memory - only 2MB), but some great features.

Check out My Symbian (http://www.my-symbian.com) for lots of stuff like tips files and everything else besides.

Edit : I have a 7650 by the way.

meta-ghost
Mar 7, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by robbieduncan

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to find a phone similar to the P800 (syncs with mac) but cheaper. I was hoping these might work. The T68i just hasn't grabbed me...

TheT
Apr 14, 2003, 08:05 AM
Alright, I just got a 3650 and need more input :)
Are you guys able to transfer all yours pictures from your Nokia phone to the mac at once? Because that just doesn't work for me, I have to do it one by one, which really sucks when you have 160 pictures :(.
I am neither able to browse through the files on the phone using my mac, it just doesn't show anything.
When sending files, I cannot directly access the memory card, which sucks because I can't senc movies bigger than 3 MB.
Oh yeah, movies: How in the world to I play those *.3gp files on a mac? They show up as being Quicktime, but the QT Player says it can't play them. Whereas the next problem would be: how do I create MPEG4-encoded *.3gp movies? the phone says it doesn't understand *.mp4 files. Same goes for sound: No *.mp3, but *.amr...? No luck on the mac.
There are a couple of other things like calenders not being able to be imported on the phone, but those are the main things that bother me currently.
Oh, and I just returned one of those cheap USB-BT-adapters today, maybe the one comming with the M$-Bluetooth mouse will at least allow me to transfer all pictures at once...
Any input appreciated, thanks, TheT

phantommaul
Apr 15, 2003, 04:29 PM
i have a 7650 and i am thinking of buying a powerbook 12" but there is no irDa port on them and i know the 7650's modem only works over irDa.

how r u making it work in portable computers ????