Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jseverns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Valdosta, GA
Perhaps this has been addressed before, but I am new here, and desperately need help.
I have a new 15" PowerBook and I have tried to hook it up to my home theatre. I connected the 1/8" headphone jack to a pair of AV wires and plugged them into my Yamaha reciever. Then I connected the S Video wire from the output on the PowerBook to the VCR1 in on my reciever. I got sound, but no picture. Then I hooked the S video directly to the S Video to the Plasm, and something weird happened. I saw part of my screen background, but never anything else, and couldn't see my mouse's curser either.
But I still had sound.
Can somebody out there help me? I am basically technically retarded.
I have my digital cable DVR hooked into the Yamaha Receiver for the DTV/HD in and then out to the TV. I have the DVD hooked up to DVD, and the CD to CD. VCR1 or 2 should theoretically work, right?
I have got to be missing something big. Do I have to re-program the notebook somehow? I only want to hook my laptop up to the entertainment center occassionally so I can watch my Top Gear episodes and such.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe Severns

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
You can try the setup you tried last, but open up the display panel in system preferences, and fiddle with some of the settings in there. You may have it to screen mirroring, which can be wonky on reselutions, etc. try display spanning, which should allow the plasma to be like an extension on to your pb screen. Try different resolutions and just mess with the settings and see if you can't get something to work. best of luck.

jseverns said:
Perhaps this has been addressed before, but I am new here, and desperately need help.
I have a new 15" PowerBook and I have tried to hook it up to my home theatre. I connected the 1/8" headphone jack to a pair of AV wires and plugged them into my Yamaha reciever. Then I connected the S Video wire from the output on the PowerBook to the VCR1 in on my reciever. I got sound, but no picture. Then I hooked the S video directly to the S Video to the Plasm, and something weird happened. I saw part of my screen background, but never anything else, and couldn't see my mouse's curser either.
But I still had sound.
Can somebody out there help me? I am basically technically retarded.
I have my digital cable DVR hooked into the Yamaha Receiver for the DTV/HD in and then out to the TV. I have the DVD hooked up to DVD, and the CD to CD. VCR1 or 2 should theoretically work, right?
I have got to be missing something big. Do I have to re-program the notebook somehow? I only want to hook my laptop up to the entertainment center occassionally so I can watch my Top Gear episodes and such.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe Severns

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Under System prefs>>Displays click the Detect Displays button and wait a few seconds.

Any better?

jseverns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Valdosta, GA
Still no luck. I am meeting with a friend of mine tomorrow that is into Macs and has his hooked up to a projector and watches his movies, shows, and files on his wall on a 110" screen.
He wins I guess.:D

jseverns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Valdosta, GA
Thank you

Thanks everyone. I had a bit of a hard time figuring that out until you guys told me about the display icon under preferences. Everything works now. My computer now kicks ass.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
jseverns said:
Thanks everyone. I had a bit of a hard time figuring that out until you guys told me about the display icon under preferences. Everything works now. My computer now kicks ass.

LOL, I reckon it's probably the screen more than the computer that's making this setup kick ass. Any chance of a pic of the setup? I've often wished I had a 42" or 50" plasma screen to hook my PowerBook to. Imagine watching 24 on that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.