Refurbished PowerBook 12-inch 1.5GHz SuperDrive
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates
Original price: $1,699.00
Your price: $1,199.00

That's the closest thing I can find to my PowerBook since the only 15" offered is 1.67GHz. Not taking into account the fact that my laptop has more memory, better video-out, FW 800, an illuminated keyboard, a larger screen, a PC card slot, etc... the two computers should be approximately comparable. Then I have ~2 years remaining on AppleCare. Applecare for PowerBooks is $349.00. Taking 2/3 of that price for the 2 years remaining out of the three possible years of warranty yields about $233.00 (more or less). That would give an Apple refurb value of somewhere around $1450 for my PowerBook.

The refurb value of the black MacBook is $1299, so if we were to take the most likely assumed refurb value of my laptop and the actual assumed value of the most expensive MacBook, mine comes out slightly ahead. Of course, no one would be willing to pay the actual refurb value of either of these computers, but it's the best way I could attempt to standardize the prices of the two machines.

What I am proposing is an even trade of my PowerBook for someone's MacBook (you know your Rosetta apps are running too slowly for your taste). Now that's not absolutely set in stone, but I figured it's a good place to start.

I will go ahead and say that I don't really have any cash to add to any trade if you think you need it, but I might have an LCD or something depending on what's offered. I might also be willing to sell the PowerBook outright if someone had an offer I liked. I'm also not interested in a desktop as I already have a Mac Mini and I need to have a laptop in the end.

If you want to make or talk about a deal, feel free to post, PM, IM, or email. If you want to thread-crap, tell me I'm dumb, or try to sell your own stuff I will report your post (I wouldn't normally say that, but there seems to be a lot of it going around as of late). Please read the Marketplace rules if you are wondering if your post is appropriate or not.

If you have any questions or concerns about me as a seller, feel free to ask grenoble, genomez, 4JNA, JGruber, Bob_Barker, or NYmacAttack what it's like to do business with me.

PS - I will also say that if you have a 20" LCD and would like to trade for two unmatched 17" LCD monitors, I would also like to talk with you. I also have a LaCie D2 120GB HD and a 60GB HD + enclosure that I am looking to turn into something bigger as I'm running out of space.

baby duck monge
Jul 16, 2006, 07:49 PM
So I got an IM (sorry, I closed the message window and can't remember who it was) requesting some pics of the laptop. I should have just included them in the original post, but it seemed like a lot of work to dig out the camera and everything ;)

If there's something specific you want to see, let me know and I'll take care of it for you.

Also, in addition to the willingness to trade the two 17" LCDs for a 20" LCD, I would also be interested in trading one of them for an iPod Nano or a Shuffle + cash. I have recently started working out again, and now I miss having an iPod. Pics available, just ask.