PDA

View Full Version : I have 1500 to burn on Apple


CrackedButter
Mar 7, 2003, 04:43 AM
I need a new laptop now since i have sold my old NEC one.
I really want to purchase an iBook if only because they are avialable right now.

However i know updates are on the horizon but i don't know if i really want to wait because it seems like ages now. I've been waiting since the introduction of the 12" and the 17" PB's.

I was going to get the 12" but if it weren't for the price and its crippled state i would of bought one by now. However my needs are simple and some of you might say wait till the AE comes out and BT. But i ask myself if i really need them. Would i even need a new machine if they updated the processor on the iBook as well, considering the work i am doing?

AE is useless if only because i havn't got cable or DSL here yet, DSL could be upgraded in my area within 3 months but even AE would be over kill for it and i only want it for surfing anywhere around the house.

I have a BT enabled phone but just because i have it doesn't mean i use it.

The only apps i am likly to use is Java and Python IDE's along with Studio MX for web design and Flash animation.

I am not doing high graphic work and i won't need FW800 either.

Anyway my budget is 1500 max and besides the cost of a laptop i would like an extra battery, memory module, extra mouse, carry bag, Mac version of Studio MX. I'm looking at the 12" 800 iBook for its DVD-CDRW drive.

If i could afford it and afford to wait i would also get AE and Applecare.

I am really close to just buying the 12" iBook and getting it over and done with but i don't want to buy it and then find a new machine is out only 2 weeks later, sods law will come into effect.

Its got to last 4 years at least as well and this is another reason why i should wait for the upgrade thereby future proofing my machine enough for those required years.

Choices choices choices, if only we knew there was for certain an upgrade was coming. All my work that i am doing is on my gf's pc running winME...*sighs*

CrackedButter
Mar 7, 2003, 09:28 AM
Doesn't matter now, i've decided to wait for the 15" when they get updated. I got an email from somebody who told me to wait and forget the iBooks.

cubist
Mar 7, 2003, 09:50 AM
If you're having upgrade anxiety, why not consider a used or refurbished iBook? Then you know what you're getting, you don't worry about future releases, and you have a few pounds left over.

CrackedButter
Mar 7, 2003, 03:57 PM
I want to support Apple and its got to last 4 years.

Do any PB owners feel their machine is slow or sluggish..if so what type of work are you doing?