PDA

View Full Version : Where's my Insert key?!

TheMonarch
Jul 15, 2006, 10:49 PM
I feel like suck a newb for asking, but... Does anybody know what the insert key is on a Mac? :confused:

Right now I'm in desperate need of the insert key. And its nowhere to be found.

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using an Apple BT keyboard, if thats any help.

kildraik
Jul 15, 2006, 10:58 PM
I feel like suck a newb for asking, but... Does anybody know what the insert key is on a Mac? :confused:

Thanks

Insert Keys are found only on PC keyboards.

Chaszmyr
Jul 15, 2006, 11:03 PM
What does an insert key do anyway?

trainguy77
Jul 15, 2006, 11:03 PM

Why do you need a insert key? They seem to be annoyance for me on the PC. Why would you ever want to turn it off? Its just a annoying thing that little kids turn off....... unless you have a reason to turn it off. I have no clue what that would be.:o

Me1000
Jul 15, 2006, 11:06 PM
What does an insert key do anyway?

if you hit the insert key it will over write the next character with whatever you type. and it will keep doing it until you hit it again! :mad: annoying if you ask me!

TheMonarch
Jul 15, 2006, 11:24 PM
Why do you need a insert key. They seem to be annoyance for me on the PC. Why would you ever want to turn it off? Its just a annoying thing that little kids turn off....... unless you have a reason to turn it off. I have no clue what that would be.:o

if you hit the insert key it will over write the next character with whatever you type. and it will keep doing it until you hit it again! annoying if you ask me!

Yeah, I know it can get very annoying. But I don't need it for word processing. I'm doing my 3D modeling HW (Maya), and I need to change the center of an object, which would be done by pressing the Insert key [On a PC].

I get plenty of crap for using a Mac for 3D work :o

Me1000
Jul 15, 2006, 11:27 PM
ive never touched maya but can you change the preferences. also i have found that most 3d modeling programs have a way to do everything through the menu if you look hard enough!

emptyCup
Jul 15, 2006, 11:35 PM
Essentially you are always in insert mode on a Mac. Microsoft Word used to have some kludgy keyboard command to trigger destructive overtype. Because it is destructive, and an easy way to ruin your work, the Mac never had it and Microsoft got rid of it. In the Mac version of Word there is a little OVR button in the staus bar (on the bottom of the screen). If you click it, it turns green and this "feature" will work just as before. I believe Microsoft plans to get rid of overtype in all future versions of Word.

The Mac way is to highlight the text you want to remove, and then type the replacement text. There are quick ways of selecting words, lines, paragraphs and arbitrary chucks of text which are worth learning.

You might want to check out David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac: the Missing Manual". It explains many of the differences that switchers find confusing. There are also numberous online guides. Usually it takes about two weeks to adjust. After a few months, most switchers come to prefer the Mac way.

Best wishes.

Nermal
Jul 16, 2006, 12:26 AM
Try the Help key.

mduser63
Jul 16, 2006, 12:45 AM
Try the Help key.

Nermal is right. The help key on a Mac keyboard is actually the same key as the insert key on a PC keyboard. Of course it doesn't do the same thing on a Mac, but if you plug a Mac keyboard into a Windows machine, it works like insert. The only thing that confuses me is why Maya would require the use of the insert key when it's known that there is no insert key on a Mac, and Maya is used on a lot of Macs.

TheMonarch
Jul 16, 2006, 12:49 AM
Essentially you are always in insert mode on a Mac. Microsoft Word used to have some kludgy keyboard command to trigger destructive overtype. Because it is destructive, and an easy way to ruin your work, the Mac never had it and Microsoft got rid of it. In the Mac version of Word there is a little OVR button in the staus bar (on the bottom of the screen). If you click it, it turns green and this "feature" will work just as before. I believe Microsoft plans to get rid of overtype in all future versions of Word.

The Mac way is to highlight the text you want to remove, and then type the replacement text. There are quick ways of selecting words, lines, paragraphs and arbitrary chucks of text which are worth learning.

You might want to check out David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac: the Missing Manual". It explains many of the differences that switchers find confusing. There are also numberous online guides. Usually it takes about two weeks to adjust. After a few months, most switchers come to prefer the Mac way.

Best wishes.

Thank you for the lengthy and informative response, but I need the insert key for Maya (3D app) :)

Try the Help key.

No dice :(

TheAnswer
Jul 16, 2006, 12:54 AM
This is a complete shot in the dark as I don't know Maya, but how about the Home key. Just on the intuitive thought that the home of the object would be at it's center.

TheMonarch
Jul 16, 2006, 12:57 AM
This is a complete shot in the dark as I don't know Maya, but how about the Home key. Just on the intuitive thought that the home of the object would be at it's center.

Yess!!! :D

Thank you!

(BTW, I'm still a beginner in Maya, and going back and forth from a Mac and PC can get confusing with these kind of apps [which aren't very intuitive] :o )

Nermal
Jul 16, 2006, 01:17 AM
The only thing that confuses me is why Maya would require the use of the insert key when it's known that there is no insert key on a Mac, and Maya is used on a lot of Macs.

Maya has actually become "less Mac" with each release. When I used 3.5, it said to use the Command key, the Option key, etc. In 5, it says to use Control and Alt :(

mjstew33
Jul 16, 2006, 01:27 AM
maybe control alt help key?

apple shift option?

kinda play aroudn with the shift, apple, control, help, and alt keys. :)

Nermal
Jul 16, 2006, 01:35 AM
We've already figured it out, it's Home.

mmmcheese
Jul 16, 2006, 12:52 PM
Well, since the author of this thread has the answer....I have to ask....where, in the name of Bob, is the help key? I have never seen a help key on any Mac I own...

steve_hill4
Jul 16, 2006, 01:05 PM
With Windows I often used holding shift to select and control to move blocks, (words), rather than characters. With Mac, it becomes shift and option. I always found it easier than moving to the mouse, selecting then back to keyboard to type.

TheAnswer
Jul 16, 2006, 06:21 PM
Yess!!! :D

Thank you!

(BTW, I'm still a beginner in Maya, and going back and forth from a Mac and PC can get confusing with these kind of apps [which aren't very intuitive] :o )

You're more than welcome. I actually can't believe it was right...I just looked over on that side of the keyboard and saw it right there next to Help and thought "that would make sense", usually that just gets me in trouble, but I'm glad it worked this time. :D

dpaanlka
Jul 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
Maya has actually become "less Mac" with each release. When I used 3.5, it said to use the Command key, the Option key, etc. In 5, it says to use Control and Alt :(

Wow, I've never even used Maya, but I hate it already.

amg40
Mar 3, 2007, 11:08 PM
For a G4 powerBook or MacBook keyboard you must hit fn + home (the back arrow)- This will activate the pivot in Maya.

eatpopplers
Mar 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
i figured out how to do the insert on a mac (it's called overtype).

i weeded through the responses and it didnt look like anyone answered your question.

if you still need to know its a funciton that you can toggle via a radio button on the lower right corner of the document window. rec, trk, ext, and ovr. click on the ovr one and you should be in insert mode.

if this is too late of an answer, oh well, maybe some other person can get some use out of it.

(found the this info at macoshints.com)

sixxpixels
Oct 28, 2007, 06:51 PM
Theres several other ways to move your pivot point in Maya. The simplest way is to go into your; (Have your object selected)

Attribute Editor, for example: pCube1:
Highlight -Check Mark - your Display Rotate Pivot;
Scroll Down to; World Space.
When use your ZXY Axis to move your pivot point (Scale or Rotate) to your desired location.

Hope this helps...

mankar4
Nov 6, 2007, 05:46 AM
just found this. at least it works in windows on my mbp. fn + enter.

mio
Apr 6, 2008, 05:37 PM
I had the exact same problem just now as I'm using Maya... only even worse as I don't seem to have a home key either!

Anyway the answer is you hold down D while you move the pivot point to where you want. Phew...I thought Macs were supposed to be easier to use :D

jb60606
Apr 6, 2008, 10:27 PM
Just because you don't use it, doesn't make it useless. Asking why someone would use it is like asking why someone would use the backspace key.

It's an alternative to backtracking through text you would like to remove, while simultaneously allowing you to overwrite it. A time saver to some people that have been using it for years and if they removed it from the standard-101 keyboard, I'd personally be kinda bummed.

fuzzyspider101
Jul 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
you can find the insert key on the mac keyboard for things like maya under the f14 key the arrow that goes diagonally top left next to the fn key??:cool:

Macnification
Jul 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
just found this. at least it works in windows on my mbp. fn + enter.

fn + return

This worked for me in XP on Bootcamp! Make sure and release the return key before the fn key or you'll accidentally type a line break. I also read the Help key, but I have no help key! And F13-F19 are like absent party members here. :rolleyes:

Now, to those of you being angry and such, I use the insert key extensively in coding. Many times I need to type comments or code headers that are in blocked sections, and it is MUCH easier to create the blocked sections, then type inside them with the OVR on than put the borders in one by one. There's no reason to banish something from the keyboard just because someone can't find a use for it! That's just silly ;)

puma25uk
Aug 21, 2008, 06:49 AM
Hi guys, newbie here :D

I came across this thread looking for the same thing - I'm primarily a Windoze developer, having just moved to the fruity side. I'm loving it! :p

The bootcamp manual points in this direction, where Apple details the various keyboard models and the windows mappings for each type.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1167

Hope this helps

alphaod
Aug 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
And since the Fn key is where the Insert was, it can be remapped probably.

TucsonTom
Aug 26, 2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks

On my logitech keyboard the Help key toggles between insert mode and overwrite mode.

bartszyszka
Jan 5, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hi, I'm looking for a solution to this. Don't see it in the thread.

To people wondering why you would need it, it would come in handy if you receive a form made in Microsoft Word where it has a lot of underscores where you're supposed to fill things out. If you just type something into a form like that, then "_______" turns into "_ABCXYZ_______", which expands the form and breaks its layout. But if you had the insert key on, you could type things in and have the characters replace the lines, which would make it "_ABCXYZ_".

benf.dc
Jan 10, 2011, 04:53 PM
Word 2008 does not have an OVR toggle in the status bar.

However, if you go to View > Customize Toolbars and Menus you can assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle Overtype mode on and off, or add Overtype to one of your toolbars or your Edit menu. I couldn't find "Overtype" among the Editing commands, but it is there under All Commands. I believe that Word stores these customizations in your Normal template.

There is also an "Overtype" checkbox in Word's editing preferences that you can toggle if you only need Overtype mode on rare occasions or if you are using someone else's Mac.

Overtype mode is clearly deprecated in Word 2008. I don't have Office 2011 so I can't say whether any trace remains.

Astrobop
Jan 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
Insert" is sometimes obtained by pressing the Fn key and the numeric keypad 0 key at the same time. :D

Bill.Raynor
Jan 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
Both the fn+numeric 0 and fn+return work just fine for programming a windows app under parallels on a macbook

THanks

TheSotomatic
Jun 13, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure if anyone still needs this info, but the insert key in Maya is simply holding down the "D" key. If you want to continually work in insert mode, the command is "fn"+"Enter".

Hope that helps.

bill94566
May 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
Instead of trying to morph your Windows software into the Mac keyboard, just connect up a standard 101 keyboard via bluetooth to your Mac. You'll have to take the Mac by the hand and specify the keyboard type, but it works brilliantly. The Apple evil empire hasn't been able to supplant ASCII yet :D. By the way, this is the preferred method for working remotely with Windows apps via RDP over your Mac. Save yourself the headaches.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
I hate to revive such an old topic, but, how on earth does one swap to insert mode on a Mac!?

It's nice that there's a work around for Word, but I need to know how to use it in Eclipse (which is Java based.)

But while I'm at it, how does one enter Insert mode on any cocoa text field (IE, in Safari, or TextEdit, or Pages... etc... and I don't want an app specific answer!)

And if the answer is that there simply isn't an insert mode, then say so! I don't understand why people have been dodging just answering the question for six years!

Edit: I found this, saying there is no such thing:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4440595?start=0&tstart=0

Bummer. I wonder how difficult writing some kind of utility app to do this would be... or if people would pay money for it...

ezerini
Feb 8, 2013, 06:46 AM
I found a workaround for me using a different Mac Application that needs the Insert Key. I'm using Citrix Viewer, which is like a remote desktop into a PC from a Mac. I previously used the FN + Enter keys in Parallels which was assigned as the key command for Insert. I used this to toggle emails as read/unread.

so anyway, it seems that Mac OSX has a way to specify an application that you wish to program an insert key for, so here are the instructions for doing it using my example:

1. Open System Preferences on the Macintosh computer.
2. Go to the Keyboard preference pane and select the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.
3. Select Application Shortcuts.
4. Press the + button located under the right list box.
5. Select Other from the list for Application.
6. In the dialog press Shift, Command, and G simultaneously to open the Go To Folder page.
7. In the Go To Folder page, enter /Applications/Citrix Receiver.app/Contents/Helpers/.
8. Click Go.
9. Select Citrix Viewer.app and click Add.
10. Enter the exact name of the keystroke that you would like to create a Key Command for, such as 'Insert' in the 'Menu Title' field (I found this to be case sensitive).
11. Enter the shortcut key you are using. I tried combinations of fn + enter and ctrl + enter, but thise did not work, so try Command + i
12. Click Add.

Gordon Klaus
Feb 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
Someone mentioned Fn+NumpadZero. On a MacBook the numpad keys are accesible via Fn+{mjkl;uiop7890}; NumpadZero is Fn+M. Long story short, Fn+Shift+M seems to produce Insert, at least judging by the results in Adobe Reader via Remote Desktop to Windows. FWIW.

safiqahamed
Apr 7, 2014, 03:22 AM
Command + i == Insert

:)

dan1eln1el5en
Apr 7, 2014, 05:05 AM
Maya seems to map their keys to the windows kayboard "mostly".
you can Ctrl+C for copy...it's nice since I work on Maya on Windows and OS X and I don't need to "adapt" my shortcut moves...but a tad annoying it's "windows style" that's the basis.