Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to a MacinTouch reader, Apple's SuperDrive can also be used to write DVD-RW media:

At last, Data back up on SuperDrives. I just received my first pack of DVD-RW disks to try on my G4 733 and I have to report they write data like a hot knife through a butter, a whole 4.7 gigs no proble

A nice added feature for the $250 option (above a DVD/CD-R) on the new PowerMacs.

kidflibble

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2001
Sweet!

Excelent! I was wondering about that after reading the stats... One step closer to convincing the powers that be that I need a new Mac.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
help

Help!! How do I convince my parents that I need a new mac?
iM TIRED OF MY G3 400 Laptop.

- Ciao Max

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
kela

try telling them you need it or school.. tell them you cant do anything with this mac

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Kela

I have a $20.000 worth of electronic equipment (includding one G4 and one G3 500 firewire laptop), from my parents... do you think am I gonna give so many years of experience for free?

Tell the every body in your school have a G4 and they are doing great, but be nice to them always.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Just Imagine

People, I wan't you all for a minute to close your eyes
and picture this image. Your Brand New G4 Dual 800 MHZ Quiksilver with a fat 17 inch LCD Apple Display is sitting in your cleaned room. The air is cool. NExt to the computer are Bryce 5.0, Maya, Rune, UT, and an awesome Fly2k simulator. And you press the startup key for the first time..... OS X runs smoothly as silk, you check your mail, take a bite of your pizza and enjoy the MAC truly.

- KEla

p.s i drool just thinking about owning one of those!! drool i tell ya. Its not fair steve, they are soo yummy. I truly feel like eating them.

Luckster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2001
Texas
Apple's Superdrive is simply the Pioneeer A03 mechanism. It can write DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R and CD-RW. If you are interested, other companies are now beginning to sell these drives such as LaCie and CD Cyclone. They are compatible with Apple's DVD Studio Pro and Toast Titanium.

As for finding DVD media, that takes some time. Having wanted one of these drives, I can tell you that the DVD-R media is available from the Apple Store (oddly no one else carries it) and DVD-RW is available from Outpost.com. The DVD-R will cost about $10 and the DVD-RW about $20.

Hope you find this helpful.
- Andrew

M

mecccc

re superdrive

does anyone know if the superdrive can be used by retrospect for backups?

thanks

Luckster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2001
Texas
Perhaps so, but they are unreadable to anything except a DVD-RAM drive. DVD-R media is playable on any DVD player and can be used as a data storage medium.

Y

yzarc

Verbatim sells DVD-RW media on their website for $19. They also manufacture the DVD-R media that Apple sells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.