Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
ok i have a quick question.
basicly can this be done.

I want to boot from the cd/dvd drive on another computer on my LAN.
its a windows computer and i have shared the dvd drive. is there anyway that i could tell it to boot from that dvd drive?

Thanks,
Me1000

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
There is no way to do that even on windows without server software. I think you would need OS X server to do that. But I am not sure how it would be done. Anyways I think you will need extra software for it to be possible. Why do you need it done like this?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
well i installed vista like that on another computer, that was running xp.

but i was able to launch the setup.exe file when i browsed the cd.

the reason it has to be done like that is because i dont have a dvd drive in this one.

2nd question.

is it possible if im still in the OS. im running 3 HD's and i want to put tiger on the biggest HD, im running jaguar on my 6 GB HD. my sig has the specs of my computer.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
One way I know you could do it is using a ipod or external firewire hard-drive to boot the system. Do you have access to either of these?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
I Have access to a USB ipod 4gb nano.
i dont have a firewire adapter though.

i MAY be able to get a external firewire HD. but how would i install OS X on it. because the only computer i have with a dvd drive is my PC running XP.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Me1000 said:
i MAY be able to get a external firewire HD. but how would i install OS X on it. because the only computer i have with a dvd drive is my PC running XP.
Dig dig dig....we have something in these forums about it.......here it is: http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Mac_OS_X_10.4_without_DVD So all you have to do is make a disk image of the 10.4 dvd onto your hard drive then write this image to a firewire hard drive.

EDIT: also if you have another mac with a DVD drive you can do it.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
damn!!! now i need a firewire!!!

Thank you!
Im very close now!

only time will help me now!

Thanks a million you have really helped me

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
ok one more question, i swear this is the last one :eek:

if i install 10.4 on the 40 GB HD and leave the 6 GB HD alone (the one running 10.2) which HD will boot up? will the 6gb or the 40 gb?
I want to leave the 6 GB one alone because i know it will work, so incase anything goes wrong in the installation, i will have something to fallback on. since the only way i can boot from the cd is to change it in the OS.

also, if i go to system preferences then boot disc and i say boot from cd. will it boot from the HD if the CD doesn't boot correctly?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Yes that is correct if there is no CD it will look for another bootable volume. Also if you ever need to pick a volume to boot from just hold down the option key when you start up. It will scan the volumes for bootable systems and then let you click the one you want. :) And once you pick a OS to boot from in system preferences it will do that every time until you tell it otherwise via system preferences(or remove that disk) But you can temperarly override that by holding down the C key to boot from cd. Or the option key to pick, or the X key to boot from os x(if you have OS 9 and only one X volume)

I hope this helps.:D
And don't worry about asking more questions thats what we are here for.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
well i cant really use keys to boot from a volume, Im not sure why. i think it has to do with my keyboard. search this forum for a thread call boot from cd i made that thread to try and figure out why i couldnf get it to boot from cd.

but since you dont care if i ask questions, let me ask...

why do the following hard drives not work in my computer?

1.Maxtor D740X-6L 40 GB
2.Quantum Fireball Plus AS 40 GB (I have 2 of these)
3.(the biggie) Western DigitalCaviar 120 GB

i have some smaller ones too. but i want these to work, especialy the 120 GB one.

they are all IDE HD's and they all work. but when i put them in the computer doesnt boot up.

sometimes it pops up to the little folder icon with the finder face in it. and blinks with a question mark.

sometimes it goes to OS X and when the OS starts to load it stops at mounding local drives!

i would tell you what HD's i have in there right now, but i my computer is hard to get out. and i would rather not get it out unless i had to.

all i can say is the 2 small ones 4 and 6 GB are quantum's and the 6 GN one came with the computer!

-Thanks

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
According to this: http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=166 you need this to make it work http://macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=110. Do you have this?

Me1000 said:
well i cant really use keys to boot from a volume, Im not sure why. i think it has to do with my keyboard. search this forum for a thread call boot from cd i made that thread to try and figure out why i couldnf get it to boot from cd.

but since you dont care if i ask questions, let me ask...

why do the following hard drives not work in my computer?

1.Maxtor D740X-6L 40 GB
2.Quantum Fireball Plus AS 40 GB (I have 2 of these)
3.(the biggie) Western DigitalCaviar 120 GB

i have some smaller ones too. but i want these to work, especialy the 120 GB one.

they are all IDE HD's and they all work. but when i put them in the computer doesnt boot up.

sometimes it pops up to the little folder icon with the finder face in it. and blinks with a question mark.

sometimes it goes to OS X and when the OS starts to load it stops at mounding local drives!

i would tell you what HD's i have in there right now, but i my computer is hard to get out. and i would rather not get it out unless i had to.

all i can say is the 2 small ones 4 and 6 GB are quantum's and the 6 GN one came with the computer!

-Thanks

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Thank you for showing me that site, i looked forever and couldnt find anyhitng!

nope i dont have that, but i wouldnt consiter it to be out of the question to get it in the future, if im still using this mac for a while!

any idea why the other ones dont work? :confused:
they arnt as new as the 120 GB one, but they are newer than the computer itself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.