Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelseany23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
What do all you Apple design buffs think of this logo?

Picture 1.png

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Other issues aside, how well do you think that type would be visible or even legible if the logo was printed about an inch across or smaller?

chelseany23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Let's focus on the other issues. For the planned usage I'm not too concerned with print size legibility, its kind of a one shot online thing, but we'll up it a bit. Thanks for the input.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
chelseany23 said:
Let's focus on the other issues. For the planned usage I'm not too concerned with print size legibility, but we'll up it a bit. Thanks for the input.

Planned usage always gets subverted in the end... who knows how it could end up being used in the end... it's not just about print. Up the point size and move to Optima Demi...

Other issues and just for starters:

1. It's top-heavy. The word 'Propulsion' is centred within the circle, however the addition of the device above it makes its postioning uncomfortable. I would move the device together with the word down towards the optical centre of the circle.

2. The stroke on the outside of the circle is too heavy for my liking and is spaced a bit too far from the circle. It sets up an area of high contrast that attracts the eye for no discernable reason.

3. The type 'marketing concepts' is too loosely leaded (line-spaced). Bring them closer together so they look more like a unit.

A helpful way to look at things sometimes is to squint at it. It enables you to see what is visually weak and what stands out.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Judging by the name, I get the idea that the client wants to seem fast, rapid, ahead of the pace. However, I don't get that from the graphic.

Maybe find a way to instill motion into the circle? (without relying too much on all the clichés that are out there). Also, dark blue while seeming professional can seem overly professional to the point of bureaucratic and "old-school" style of thinking, I love the subtlety of the gradient though.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
TheAnswer said:
...I love the subtlety of the gradient though.

Which will be lost at small sizes. Any logo worth its salt should stand up in one colour only without any half-tones.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Blue Velvet said:
Which will be lost at small sizes. Any logo worth its salt should stand up in one colour only without any half-tones.

Yeah...you'd love to think a marketing concepts company wouldn't do it, but I can just see someone's assistant printing out the web page and running off 500 black and white xerox copies of it as a handout to potential clients.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I ended up with a double post. :(

Oh well, I'll edit this one to suggest maybe change the font to one with a slight italic, and a heavier weight as BV said above.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
In many ways, the device and the type would be an improvement by itself it was positive i.e. black on white. You don't need the circle and the stroke at all and that would give you the freedom to stack the type a little more sensitively.

chelseany23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Thanks for all the input.
Everyone seems to be going under the assumption that I'm some designer working freelance for a client. In actuality I'm just helping someone out with a model... I don't design for a living, nor do I plan to. In fact, this is the first time I've designed something like a logo, and it was done in Keynote of all things, not Illustrator or another graphics program.
While the suggestions are helpful, the condescending "I'm a better designer than you" doesn't need to be mixed in. You showed you're better than me at this as soon as you identified a font on sight, regardless of how common it is.

L

Lau

chelseany23 said:
Thanks for all the input.
Everyone seems to be going under the assumption that I'm some designer working freelance for a client. In actuality I'm just helping someone out with a model... I don't design for a living, nor do I plan to. In fact, this is the first time I've designed something like a logo, and it was done in Keynote of all things, not Illustrator or another graphics program.
While the suggestions are helpful, the condescending "I'm a better designer than you" doesn't need to be mixed in. You showed you're better than me at this as soon as you identified a font on sight, regardless of how common it is.

Well, as you gave no other information about your situation, can you blame them?

And I fail to see how a lot of freely offered useful information and criticism about logo design is condescending. Or did you want everyone to say "Ooh, awesome logo"?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
chelseany23 said:
...the condescending "I'm a better designer than you" doesn't need to be mixed in.

No condescension intended nor even implied. You asked, we gave... one of the skills of designing is accepting criticism on the work itself and not taking it personally.

You posted it publically here and we gave suggestions on how to improve it. This is the way things work... not giving unstinting praise.

I've given you my professional opinion and yet you seem to have taken it in poor grace. So for that reason, I'm ending my involvement in this thread. Good luck with your endeavours.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Can you give us some more information about the company you are designing this for, what are they like, what do they do, who they are aimed at.

I agree with more of the (completely not condescending, btw) critique given (with the exception of the stroke, that is just a preference really)

If you tell us a little more maybe we can "hit you up"

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Drop the gradient as well as the text. Flip the whole logo vertically so that the lines are moving in a "forward" direction, think "propulsion," then enlarge the lines so that they take up a majority of the inner circle. Take a look at some popular logos and see how they combine their logo with text at times and not at others. If you want the gradient then you will need create a larger distinction in black to blue, they feel too close in tonal range.

Remember, as already said here in previous posts, the logo, if successful, should work at various sizes.

These ideas are just that, ideas, in the end I really think just coming to terms with what propulsion means and then asking yourself does this logo do that? currently I would say it does not but some simple alterations might get it there.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
chelseany23 said:

Please do not ask for critique and then get mad about it. BV is giving you constructive criticism, which applies regardless of what you do for a living.

I would suggest to leave the gradient out altogether. What a mess that can become.

For me the diagonals are a bit odd because three out of four appear to be evenly spaced, and then the long one is off. Maybe this is intentional, I don't know.

Definitely shorten the line-spacing on the sub text, and possibly float it a little higher in the circle.

The relative size of the name to the entire grouping seems way to small. Imagine how large the smallest size you could use this logo would be.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
chelseany23 said:
What do all you Apple design buffs think of this logo?

I like the concept, though I would suggest you use a heavier, sans-serif font for your text. On darker backgrounds the thinner, serif-type fonts tend to disappear, so as a rule you want to use something a little bolder and less ornate...

just my opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.