Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'm looking for some simple Cocoa projects to do; if you guys would post some idea's e.g.:
-1-
A typing tutor program with lessons - I may convert a project I have right now to that. But I don't want to do that right now.

See I can't even think of projects to do so I'm looking for some insight for my new found Cocoa abilities.

EDIT: Please be detailed and specific.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Well I thought of one, started on it last night and finished it today:

It's called MDM - MoneyData Manager. I made it so I can keep track of my banking transactions. I'm going to add more to it - like Notes so I know what I spent on what etc. But yeah, if you guys want to download it, it is Universal and has a nifty icon I made (Ok its not perfect, but its alright). So here ya go: MDM + screenshots:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 93
  • MDM.zip
    53.4 KB · Views: 68

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Make an app that shows a countdown to a specific date and time in the menubar. It would be just like the time in the menubar (same font, formatting, etc.) and have its choice of formattings (i.e. Day:Hour:Minute:Second or x Day(s), x Hour(s), x Minute(s), and x Second(s)). It would run without a dock icon and, if it suits you, it could even ring when its done.

EDIT: CocoaDev has some ideas as well.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
ham_man said:
Make an app that shows a countdown to a specific date and time in the menubar. It would be just like the time in the menubar (same font, formatting, etc.) and have its choice of formattings (i.e. Day:Hour:Minute:Second or x Day(s), x Hour(s), x Minute(s), and x Second(s)). It would run without a dock icon and, if it suits you, it could even ring when its done.
Uh... that's a little advanced for me, I'm not even sure how you'd do that. I'm not even sure how they have the icon in the top of the filemenu - probably something easy. I'll do some research and consider programming it.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
slooksterPSV said:
Uh... that's a little advanced for me, I'm not even sure how you'd do that. I'm not even sure how they have the icon in the top of the filemenu - probably something easy. I'll do some research and consider programming it.
Check Off is an app with open source code where the whole app is controlled from an icon in the menubar. You may want to sneak a peak at that code.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
ham_man said:
Check Off is an app with open source code where the whole app is controlled from an icon in the menubar. You may want to sneak a peak at that code.
Thanks, I'll do that.

Btw I updated my one program, MDM - MoneyData Manager - you can now arrange the items in the list via up and down buttons. Here's the new one:

Attachments

• MDMv1_10.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.