Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Awhile ago I broke my clamshell ibook's power adapter. Fortunately, I just use the ibook as a back up machine. Since my iMac G5 has been in the Apple repair shop for three weeks (lol) I decided to use it temporarily, so I bought a new adapter. Problem is, the ibook boots up fine on AC, but the battery isn't charging. The adapter light turns orange for about two minutes, than goes green again. Also, the battery capacity app. I have shows the battery at 76% capacity. I figure the battery lost it's charge because it's been in the closet for so long. Is there anyway to get the ibook to read the battery and start charging it? Do I need to reset something? Thanks for the help :D

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Well the battery is already drained, it's just not recharging like it normally did. Thanks though, I'll bookmark the page. Does anyone know how to reset whatever controls the battery charging?

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks, I went through all the steps in his posts, and the charger's light keeps going green after a few minutes. I don't see how the battery is dead since Capactity Meter App. shows it at 76% capacity and 3% current charge. Does anyone have any other ideas? :(

PS: I am having really bad Mac luck lately

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Does this seem like the signs of a dead battery? I've reset everything numerous times. I've never had a dead battery, so I don't know. Do you think I should just buy a new one?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Batteries just die after a while, they aren't lifetime things. I have an ibook that I need to replace the battery on; it acts and operates as normal, but holds about ten minute's worth of a charge (or about a day in sleep mode). It's sort of a pain in the ass, but hey, small price to pay for the mobility and quality of a modern laptop...

Anyway, since you're replacing a desktop and you have an adapter, why not just use it as one?

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for the help, after fiddilling with it for awhile, I can tell it's dead. Oh well time to pay for a new one. Hopefully my iMac is fixed soon and I won't even need the clamshell anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.