Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hey everyone im sure there is a few drummers on the forum. I myself, was wondering if everyone could post their setups. I was thinking of getting a m audio interface throwing a decent mic in the corner put a little bit of a gate on it and wa-lah to record in garage band.. Or if anyone had any pointers it would be appericiated

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Hi!

Great to hear that some drummers are looking to record themselves! I've been playing and recording for 10+ years and on a budget you can definitely come up with something decent.

If you're looking to record for your own purposes (recording practices, etc.), two mics with a 2-channel interface is plenty.

You'll need to get yourself 2 large-diaphragm condenser mics and place them 3-6 ft in front of the kit and about waist high (there's other opinions on this though).

Having a stereo recording is much better than just having a mono room mic. I also wouldn't recommend gating the drums...don't know why you'd need to unless you're looking for an effect when mixing.

If you can afford to spend a bit more on an interface/mics, here's what I would recommend:

4 channel (4 mic preamps) M-Audio interface (don't know models)
2 SM57's (one for kick, one for snare...if you can get a Beta52 for kick, do it)
2 Large Diaphragm condensers: MXL makes inexpensive mics that will work for your budget

That would be a nice starting setup, I would think.

Here's my rig...it's a bit bigger:

Dual 1.42 GHz G4 + Dell 17" Display
Pro Tools LE
Digi 002 Console (18 ins, 18 outs)
M-Audio BX5 Monitors

4 SM57's (for snare and three toms, guitars, etc.)
1 Beta 52 (for kick)
2 Shure KSM 27s (for overheads, acoustic guitars, etc.)
1 Røde K2 Tube Condenser (for room mic, vocals, etc.)

M-Audio Octane 8-Channel ADAT Preamp - I run this via an optical cable into my Digi002...I usually run the drums into this when recording as it's a bit cleaner than the 002's 4 preamps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.