PDA

View Full Version : Adding USB 2 to my G4 ?


Tall Guy
Mar 7, 2003, 02:49 PM
Has anybody here had any experience in upgrading their mac with a USB2 PCI card? I find it frustratingly hard to find any information, especially on availability of OSX drivers.
And if drivers are available, how reliable are they in your experience ?
I just went to the ADAPTEC website and there is a suggestion your USB2 card may only work at USB 1.1 speeds, but maybe that's only for OS9.:confused:

Bear
Mar 7, 2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
...
I just went to the ADAPTEC website and there is a suggestion your USB2 card may only work at USB 1.1 speeds, but maybe that's only for OS9.:confused:
Some USB2.0 PCI card manufacturers rely on the OS providing the drivers for USB. Most (if not all) USB 2.0 cards will work at USB 1.1 speeds if there are no USB 2.0 drivers.

If the USB 2.0 product doesn't specifically state USB 2.0 speeds on Mac OS X, be wary. I don't think any company offers USB 2.0 drivers of OS 9.

Orange Micro is one of the few companies to specifically state they have USB 2.0 drivers for Mac OS X. I think SIIG also has 2.0 drivers.

I've only heard good things about the Orange Micro cards. For my system, I'm looking aty a combo USB 2.0/Firewire card from them so I can drive the scanner at its full speed and I don't need a USB or a FireWire hub.

timbloom
Mar 7, 2003, 04:01 PM
I have seen many, relatively cheap USB 2 cards that are compatible with OS X. Usually they will have the OS X logo printed on the packaging. They even have them at my campus computer store (it's a very mac-friendly store).

Bear
Mar 7, 2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by timbloom
I have seen many, relatively cheap USB 2 cards that are compatible with OS X. Usually they will have the OS X logo printed on the packaging. They even have them at my campus computer store (it's a very mac-friendly store).
Just because they have OS X on them, it doesn't necessarily mean they have USB 2.0 drivers. It just means the card works with OS X. I just suggest checking if the come with USB 2.0 dirvers or not.

hugemullens
Mar 7, 2003, 04:46 PM
Its more expensive than most, but maybe check out Sonett's Firewire/USB 2 combo card.

bennyek
Mar 7, 2003, 04:50 PM
I own a dual 867 and picked up an orange micro usb 2 card that stated usb2 support, but it only froze my system repeatedly. I basiclly made my monitors not work. I took the card out and everything worked great, put it back and it froze again, tried 3 different pci slots with no success. I then returned it and gave up. Who Knows. Usb 2 in my opinion is a bit of a waste on macs.

Tall Guy
Mar 7, 2003, 05:01 PM
[/B]I've only heard good things about the Orange Micro cards. For my system, I'm looking aty a combo USB 2.0/Firewire card from them so I can drive the scanner at its full speed and I don't need a USB or a FireWire hub. [/B]

thanks Bear,

that's exactly why I'm looking to get a USB 2.0 card, to run my future scanner at full speed. Every scanners I looked at runs on USB 2.0. Since I am running out of USB ports on my machine anyway, a faster PCI card solution seems more sensible than going the slower hub way.

Tall Guy
Mar 7, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by bennyek
I own a dual 867 and picked up an orange micro usb 2 card that stated usb2 support, but it only froze my system repeatedly. I basiclly made my monitors not work. I took the card out and everything worked great, put it back and it froze again, tried 3 different pci slots with no success. I then returned it and gave up. Who Knows. Usb 2 in my opinion is a bit of a waste on macs.

Sorry to hear that bennyek. What OS are you on ? I know USB uses the processor a lot, could the card clash with your dual setup ?

bennyek
Mar 7, 2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
Sorry to hear that bennyek. What OS are you on ? I know USB uses the processor a lot, could the card clash with your dual setup ?

I am running osx 10.2.4 on a dual 867.
i assume it is a conflict with the new machine. Seems as though orange micro would be on top of it already though since they are so mac friendly. oh well

mdeschenes
Mar 7, 2003, 06:54 PM
I bought a Keyspan usb 2.0/FireWire card adding two USB 2.0 ports and three FireWire ports to my DP 1.25. It was very easy and I did not need the software for it to be recognized. It was relatively inexpensive and easy to get.

I have had the computer for three weeks and this card has performed flawlessly. I bought it from MicroWarehouse here in Canada and paid about $120 cdn.

Mike

Bear
Mar 7, 2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by mdeschenes
I bought a Keyspan usb 2.0/FireWire card adding two USB 2.0 ports and three FireWire ports to my DP 1.25. It was very easy and I did not need the software for it to be recognized. It was relatively inexpensive and easy to get.
Ah, but what speed are the USB ports running at? I don't think OS X has native USB 2.0 drivers yet. The ports may be running at USB 1.1 speeds if you haven't installed any drivers.

Tall Guy
Mar 9, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Ah, but what speed are the USB ports running at? I don't think OS X has native USB 2.0 drivers yet. The ports may be running at USB 1.1 speeds if you haven't installed any drivers.

here is a link to the keyspan FAQ page. Seems that since OS 10.2 you do have all the necessary drivers

gotohamish
Mar 9, 2003, 12:08 PM
I bought a standard USB2 PCI card for my powermac and it's never worked, with 2.0 speeds or 1.1 - it comes up in ASP but just as a generic pci card, no mention of NEC or USB2 or anything.

I've also tried installing the drivers from all the mac card manufaturers, and am currently installing the 3.0 drivers from SIIG.

OK, installed, restarted, and I get a grey screen with a circle-with-cross-thru-it.

WTF!?!

I'll be back on this one... (writing this on PB)

Tall Guy
Mar 9, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish
I bought a standard USB2 PCI card for my powermac and it's never worked, with 2.0 speeds or 1.1 - it comes up in ASP but just as a generic pci card, no mention of NEC or USB2 or anything.

Just went to the NEC website, I don't see any mention of Mac compatibility. Did they sell it to you explicitly stating it was Mac compatible ?

Eckslusive
Mar 11, 2003, 09:16 PM
IOGEAR (www.iogear.com) has USB 2.0 PCI cards, for cheap too!
And they are coming out with USB2/Firewire Cards.
All of their hardware support Mac OS and Windows.

evildead
Mar 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
I have the IOGEAR 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card. I installed it in my 867 G4 PowerMac with no problem. No drivers needed under OS 9 or X.

its cheep too! $29.99 after rebate at outpost right now


http://shop2.outpost.com/product/2978925


I paid more for mine... it was a while ago when I got it.

Tall Guy
Mar 13, 2003, 12:25 PM
Here in the UK it seems almost impossible to get anything else but Adaptec. I went for it and it works flawless, Apple is making things far to easy for those third party developers by putting all the drivers in;) .

I didn't want a firewire/USB 2.0 card since those cards would still give you the older firewire as opposed to the new "double-speed" firewire (what's the official name again?). Better to go for the cheaper USB 2.0 card for now and add a high speed firewire when needed.

gotohamish
Mar 13, 2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
Just went to the NEC website, I don't see any mention of Mac compatibility. Did they sell it to you explicitly stating it was Mac compatible ?

No. but it was the equivalent of $12 so I thought I'd give it a crack. I only actually wanted a 4-port 1.1 card, but the 2.0 was cheapers. The SIIG drivers buggered my systems badly, but a permission and drive fix did the trick.

Phew. FireWire all the way I say.

H

timbloom
Mar 13, 2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Tall Guy
new "double-speed" firewire (what's the official name again?)

It is either Firewire 800 or the standard is known as IEEE-1393b