Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j@yri¢hi£

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
California Pennsylvania
i have a G3 Snow iBook 500Mhz 10GB, like 128MB RAM now what i'm unsure of if its even possible but what all can i "upgrade" on it... basically all i need to do with it is run Photoshop.

any help will do!

thanks all

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You're stuck with the processor unless you swap the motherboard. Unless you're starving for hard drive space the internal is fine. You need more RAM though. Get it up to at least 512 MB.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
10 GB doesn't seem that fine, especially if you are going to have a lot of pictures saved. You can get an 80 GB HD off OWC
for like $90 (assuming i found your ibook model correctly)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Get a 100gb 7200rpm Hitachi or Seagate HD. Bump up your ram to 640mb with a 512mb chip. That's all the upgrading you can do but you will be suprised at how much faster your little machine runs. Then when you are tired of a five or six year old machine, you can pull the hard drive and pull the memory and part out the machine and put the hard drive in a new laptop.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
j@yri¢hi£ said:
theres nothing i can do w/ the CD Drive can i bump up to DVD Also or am i stuck w/ just the CD-ROM due to the processor??

You're right you can upgrade the cd drive, I think, to a combo cd burner dvd rom drive. However, it's a tray loading drive.

If i were you, I'd check the specs for Apple drives. I think the UJ 850 Panasonic Matushita drive happens to be a tray loading drive. Do your homework and then shop for the lowest price. I've had excellent luck on eBay with optical drives. Just make sure you get them new and under Panasonic warranty. Have had no experience with Sony or other manufacturer drives. Panasonic is Apple OEM.

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
This thread makes me frown. How much money are you going to throw at a machine that is worth less than $100?
Memory, DVD drive, harddrive, you are easily talking $250 here in upgrades. That almost half a new Mac mini.
When your car is worth $500 you don't do a $1000 repair on it. At least I wouldn't.....

erikamsterdam said:
This thread makes me frown. How much money are you going to throw at a machine that is worth less than $100?
Memory, DVD drive, harddrive, you are easily talking $250 here in upgrades. That almost half a new Mac mini.
When your car is worth $500 you don't do a $1000 repair on it. At least I wouldn't.....
True, but a mini is not a laptop. I would spend no more then $300 on this machine, I was going to spend anymore I would just buy a new machine, or get a refurb.

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
Macmaniac said:
True, but a mini is not a laptop. I would spend no more then $300 on this machine, I was going to spend anymore I would just buy a new machine, or get a refurb.

Oh yes, sorry. Some memory could help it live another year. Get an external HD I'd say, then at least you can use that for any future computer.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Untill you are ready to buy a new laptop, I recomend buying a 512 stick of RAM. There are some cheap external HDs around, so all you need to do is go to walmart or something because they sell cheap ones. Also if you ever do get a new computer, you can always use the external HD with any other computer.

The snow really isn't worth upgrading unless you feel totally compelled to do so. Money wise you won't get much return if you decide to sell it one day.

j@yri¢hi£

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
California Pennsylvania
erikamsterdam said:

less than 100 bucks....okay sure...but its a laptop to take to my open labs...its something small i got for a cheap price, like i said i just need photoshop and i wouldn't really buy a brand new comp when i have a G5 iMac with well over 2000 in periph's so i just want something portable and last i checked mac minis are small...but you MMMMIGHT need a screen for it....untill they start coming standard with a 8 in. pop up screen i'll keep my 100 dollar iBook....thanks... and to everyone that helped i've done my homework and gotten a cd/dvd drive hd and ram for a lil over 150....so i only spent 50 over the projected price of my iBook...i guess

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
j@yri¢hi£ said:
less than 100 bucks....okay sure...but its a laptop to take to my open labs...its something small i got for a cheap price, like i said i just need photoshop and i wouldn't really buy a brand new comp when i have a G5 iMac with well over 2000 in periph's so i just want something portable and last i checked mac minis are small...but you MMMMIGHT need a screen for it....untill they start coming standard with a 8 in. pop up screen i'll keep my 100 dollar iBook....thanks... and to everyone that helped i've done my homework and gotten a cd/dvd drive hd and ram for a lil over 150....so i only spent 50 over the projected price of my iBook...i guess

hey good for you. That's the spirit -- shop around until your cash outlay isn't overwhelming. I love making older lappies work. Let us know how your Snow is coming along. Great old computer.

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
After a lot of googling I believe that the newer slot load combo drives would also fit the snow ibook g3. i think they're cheaper, or at least more readily available. the only thing is the bezel doesn't quite line up flush with the edge of the machine... you might have better luck upgrading it from scavenging parts off a broken machine on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.