PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: 20" Intel iMac 500GB 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM

topgunn
Jul 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
Here is the exercise. I want to predict the value of my iMac on August 7th based on two different assumptions. One, the iMac is not updated at WWDC. Two, iMacs are updated with Core Duo 2's and nothing else changes. Both assume that Mac Pros are released as reported.

The vitals of my iMac are:
20"
2GHz Core Duo
2GB RAM (by Apple)
500GB HD
128MB VRAM
All the other standard stuff (remote, keyboard, mouse, etc)

Oh, and the machine was purchased as a refurb from Apple. I know that knocks the resell value down a bit.

So, what is this machine going to be worth on August 7th if the iMacs are not updated and whats it worth if they are.

Thanks for your help.

Artful Dodger
Jul 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
Do you by chance have the stock 512 stick of RAM? Just thought I'd ask since I sold mine and should have keep it :o

FF_productions
Jul 17, 2006, 10:29 PM
So, what is this machine going to be worth on August 7th if the iMacs are not updated and whats it worth if they are?

Well, I don't think there will be too big of a difference. The iMac's are due for another update but I don't see the value of a machine like yours go down much at all. When the Mac Pro's come out, the G5's will slowly disintegrate, and you will see some price drops.

My reccomendation is to eBay it, a lot of this MR crowd is aware of what is happening with Apple, eBay is a different ballpark.

truz
Jul 18, 2006, 07:06 AM
Pricing is very low on ebay. I would sell local if you can. You can buy any apple product on ebay cheaper then amamzon.com/macmall.com or apple.com itself. New and Used.

Trying to get top dollar on ebay would never happen as ebay is "Wholesale Pricing" for the ones who never use it. I buy brand new DVD's sealed (before they are released in stores) for $10 or less shipped.

topgunn
Jul 18, 2006, 07:56 AM
Do you by chance have the stock 512 stick of RAM? Just thought I'd ask since I sold mine and should have keep it :o
It came with 2GB of RAM so I don't have a 512MB stick lying around.

topgunn
Jul 18, 2006, 07:57 AM
Pricing is very low on ebay. I would sell local if you can. You can buy any apple product on ebay cheaper then amamzon.com/macmall.com or apple.com itself. New and Used.

Trying to get top dollar on ebay would never happen as ebay is "Wholesale Pricing" for the ones who never use it. I buy brand new DVD's sealed (before they are released in stores) for $10 or less shipped.
I was thinking I could get about $1,500 for it if new iMacs are not released at WWDC and $1,300 if they are. Does that sound about right to you guys?

FF_productions
Jul 18, 2006, 08:54 AM
I was thinking I could get about $1,500 for it if new iMacs are not released at WWDC and $1,300 if they are. Does that sound about right to you guys?

Sounds really low if anything. I'd go for it.

topgunn
Jul 18, 2006, 09:52 AM
OK, so how about this. The computer was purchased in early April so the standard warranty extends to April 2007. It would cost me $130 to buy Apple Care for this iMac and it would extend the warranty out to April 2009. Before I sell the computer, should I purchase Apple Care? Would I get the $130 back out in a sale or would I be better off leaving the option to get Apple Care up to the buyer?

Edit:
Here's why I said $1,500 if nothing changes.
Although my iMac has 1.5GB more RAM and 250GB more HD, that only amounts to around $100 for the average person. So the options for Joe Buyer are:
a) spend $1,500 ($1,399 + 7% tax) on a refurb iMac from Apple with 1 year warranty and the possibility that it might come with more RAM, bigger HD, etc.
b) spend $1,500 on topgunn's iMac with 2GB RAM and 250GB HD but its not from Apple and it only has 9 months warranty.