PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: old Mac/Windows software

FredAkbar
Jul 17, 2006, 08:39 PM
I've got some old CDs of software, most of which are dual MacOS/Windows versions, that I don't need at all anymore. I stuck in each CD to make sure they haven't eroded away or anything, but I didn't run any of the software (not since I last used it, that is). Make me offers.

Mecc Oregon Trail 1.2 (Mac/Windows)
Maxis SimTown (Mac/Windows) + manual (note: this seems to be a kids' game, based on the manual and such; designed for kids 8-12)
Quicken Deluxe '98 (Mac)
Maxis SimTower (Mac/Windows)
Broderbund Logical Journey of the Zoombinis (another kids' game, but pretty enjoyable as I recall; ages 8-12 again; there is some fun logic and problem solving stuff in this one)

edit: I guess I'll throw Broderbund Myst and Myst III: Exile. I probably have Riven as well, so if you're interested in that, ask me and I'll look for it.

edit: Maxis SimCity 3000 (Mac) as well.

I'm thinking $10 shipped per piece of software.

Maxwell Smart
Jul 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
Oh man, I loved SimTower on my windows machine, I got all the way up to the glorified Tower Status :D. I never knew there was a Classic Mac OS version of it. Does anyone know of a way to run it on my intel mac now that I don't have classic? I guess noone ever made an OS X port :(

FredAkbar
Jul 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
I use Basilisk II (68k) and Sheepshaver (PPC) (the Intel version of Sheepshaver has some bugs on Tiger, so I run that within Parallels, or on a PC) for running pre-OS-X. They don't run games with lots of animation very well, though. I'll check out how SimTower performs in those emulators.

Maxwell Smart
Jul 17, 2006, 09:58 PM
yeah, some good memories with simtower. Oregon Trail was pretty fun when I was a kid, I remember shooting so many buffalo hahaha. How much do you want for the oregon trail? Also, I actually have Basilisk II JIT and Mini vmac and Parallels set up on my machine, I was just wondering if there was something a bit more native ;)

plinden
Jul 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
Oh man, I loved SimTower on my windows machine, I got all the way up to the glorified Tower Status :D. I never knew there was a Classic Mac OS version of it. Does anyone know of a way to run it on my intel mac now that I don't have classic? I guess noone ever made an OS X port :(
Parallels or Boot Camp (more likely Boot Camp, sim city 2000 won't work with me in Parallels) + Sim Tower for XP (abandonware) (http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/341/SimTower.htm).

FredAkbar
Jul 17, 2006, 11:08 PM
I tried SimTower in Basilisk on OS X under 8.1. It was okay, the animations are a little choppy, and the sound was choppy/staticcy. It's a bit better under Sheepshaver in Parallels (WinXP Home, gig of RAM allocated to it), but I can't hear any sound in Parallels (or maybe it's a problem with that version of Sheepshaver), and it's still slightly choppy in some ways.