Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
These French guys go even further than just borrowing designs from the nano, they basically just copy the player and give it some bells and whistles.
On their eBay site, it evens says "identical to iPod nano/shuffle"

1e_1_sbl.JPG

b2_1_bl.JPG

Is this legal?

If you are interested I would be willing to translate, but you can find out a lot on : http://stores.benl.ebay.be/ROTHON-DISCOUNT_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

JosiahPB

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Grinnell
Sometimes these things get on my nerves...but most of the time they just make me laugh. Do they think they are actually going to make money with this stuff?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
JosiahPB said:
Sometimes these things get on my nerves...but most of the time they just make me laugh. Do they think they are actually going to make money with this stuff?

I agree. My friends bought one of those nanos, and it have a super advanced hold switch. You have to pop the center button out of its place and slide it under the "click wheel" so you can't push any buttons. State of the art. :rolleyes:

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
JosiahPB said:
agreed

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Macnoviz said:
These French guys go even further than just borrowing designs from the nano, they basically just copy the player and give it some bells and whistles.
On their eBay site, it evens says "identical to iPod nano/shuffle"

1e_1_sbl.JPG

b2_1_bl.JPG

Is this legal?

If you are interested I would be willing to translate, but you can find out a lot on : http://stores.benl.ebay.be/ROTHON-DISCOUNT_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Those things are on sale in many department stores down here - ugly as sin.

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Is it just me or do you think the ones on the bottom look kinda kewl?? I mean, I wouldn't buy one, but I think they look sorta good.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Lebowski said:
with a walkman logo ripoff......

Yah...I was going to say...for a second I thought that this was Sony ripping off Apple...I didn't think that they were that sleazy.

I guess for people who want the status symbol but can't afford it would like it but otherwise I don't see the point...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Felldownthewell said:
I guess for people who want the status symbol but can't afford it would like it but otherwise I don't see the point...

Couldnt you just buy some white earphones and pretend you had a 'real' nano? Much cheaper and better than giving those pirates your money! :D

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Technically it IS legal in a wierd sort of way.I have seen nano rip offs like that and it is not a click wheel and is allowed. They do look like crap and some very desperate or anti Apple people do buy them.

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Wouldn't Apple have copyrighted a "distinctive likness" of their products or something to combat these type of companies?

But I doubt Apple would think it worth it to try take these guys to court.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
JosiahPB said:
... Do they think they are actually going to make money with this stuff?

They must or they wouldn't do it - of course, they can't be making as much as Steve. I bet they get some poor (grand)parents that know what a "music player" looks like, see's this, and buys from them.

Of course, if they follow the old rule "if it's too good to be true..." they would know better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.