Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Think Secret, Apple's second generation iPod Nano could arrive at Steve Jobs' August 7th WWDC Keynote address. The site predominantly echoes previous rumors that the new Nano would be available in multiple colors and be made of a more scratch-resistant metal alloy enclosure.

In addition, Think Secret believes that Apple has secured enough 40 and 80 GB hard drives to make a minor revision to its 5G iPod. The timeframe for the revision is not certain, but the site does not expect them at WWDC. A price cut is also seen as possible with component prices dropping dramatically since the 5G's introduction last fall.

To add a little fuel to the fire, one MacRumors source claims that Apple's next iPod will be able to play classic Nintendo games. While MacRumors was not able to verify the claim directly, Apple posted a job listing for an embedded game developer in February 2005 and recent patent filings have depicted an iPod with what appears to be a game-pad interface in place of a scroll-wheel [image mirror]. According to our source, the games would be playable via a special accessory.

Also mentioned is that Apple is indeed planning to use OLED displays on future iPods in order to maximize battery life. This echoes a previous page 2 rumor, which has since been countered by Think Secret.

Digg This

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
not at WWDC. developers, not consumers.

maybe around a week later methinks.

EDIT:
oh, and the game thing, would be cool :rolleyes:

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I would be in love with apple if they brought back the gold pastel.
Oh my old mini's color made me week in the knees!

The Ninitendo games sounds awesome. Not to many controls, it would be bad ass.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If Apple opens the iPod up for software developers to make games, it could very well be at WWDC...

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
but I thought OLED's didn't last as long??????

Funny.... hey everyone, my new 2nd Gen 5th Gen iPod still has a battery life of 24 hours..... but my screen died after 2 months of using it!

OY!

BTW- If you want to play Nintendo games.... buy a Game Boy [insert model name here]. Or wait for the Wii.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I really hope all of this arrives before the Back to School rebate ends. Core 2 Duo iMacs and a new Nano? :D

My debit card is ready.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Game Boy Micro + iPod Nano = A name I can't think of.

The game stuff sounds a bit fishy. Anyway for the Nano and 5G I doubt the revision will be at WWDC, but shortly after.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Eidorian said:
I really hope all of this arrives before the Back to School rebate ends. Core 2 Duo iMacs and a new Nano? :D
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last time there was the back-to-school rebate, the current Nano came out but was NOT a qualified purchase for the rebate anyway.

So even if a new Nano came out in time, it probably wouldn't work.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
GFLPraxis said:
If Apple opens the iPod up for software developers to make games, it could very well be at WWDC...

Yeam I told you people. I didn't base my statement on any actual insight knoledge but I can really picture an iPod with some more... software. I mean, you can do pretty much anything with a phone nowadays. I sure hope those new nanos will be in stores as soon as Steve announces them. Gonna be in NYC around that time anyway so I might check out that big Apple cube and get one of those nanos. :)

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
devilot said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last time there was the back-to-school rebate, the current Nano came out but was NOT a qualified purchase for the rebate anyway.

Party pooper :p But yes I'm pretty sure that was the case. :eek:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
devilot said:

I forget what happened last year. :mad:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Eidorian said:
I forget what happened last year. :mad:
I found this thread... linky. Which in turn, will take to you to two relevant threads describing what I have already said. :p Sorry... "No nano for you!"

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
What can I say, sounds great.
The sooner the better. :D

But the OLED screen thing has me confused... would it be a lot worse/last a shorter time than the current screens?? :confused:

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Oh, and yeah, that back-to-school rebate almost seems a way to clear out old iPod stock... you know what I mean??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.