Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I forgot what the procedure was for a non-booting old clam shell iBook.

I reset the PR Ram... removed the battery, and put it back in. The system showed the 'non system folder' signs. I turned it on it blinked the system folder and the '?' sign pictures.

Apple provided no support for Os 9 at all do they now? Lets see... I reset PRRAM and I tried booting off a CD... uh...

Anything?

Thanks people.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Boot off an install CD and see if you can select a boot drive, or use Disk First Aid. There are 3 main possibilities:
1. your system folder somehow became "unblessed"
2. Corruption of the system files
3. Hard drive crash.

the first 2 are rather easy to fix, but the third one would require a trip to an apple authorized service center.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
3) or you could just buy a new drive and do it yourself. not everything has to be done at a service center. unless there are warranty issues of course.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by yzedf
3) or you could just buy a new drive and do it yourself. not everything has to be done at a service center. unless there are warranty issues of course.

This model has become old... I don't want to use lot of $ for a new HD.

Okay so I booted off my old Apple Protection (OS 9) disk and it seems to say my Hard drive was not selected as booting... :rolleyes:
It okay took 5 Disk Utilty runs in a row to say that a problem was there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.