PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia To Produce Video iPod Multimedia Chip?

MacRumors
Jul 18, 2006, 04:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Nvidia may have beaten out Broadcom (http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190500668) for the contract to supply Apple with next-generation "true video iPod" chips, according to EE Times.

"Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation vPod socket at the expense of Broadcom," said Satya Chillara, an analyst with American Technology Research Inc. (Greenwich, Conn.), in a new report.

"We believe the Nvidia chip adds 3D graphics functionality in addition to all of the existing features (such as H.264) that Broadcom supported with the existing vPod," he said.

Today's 5G iPod uses an audio codec processor from Portalplayer and Broadcom's multimedia chip. The rumored "true" video iPod contracts have, until now, been up for grabs (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060503010810.shtml). The iPods are currently not expected until early 2007.

ro2nie
Jul 18, 2006, 05:02 PM
This could be really nice... especially for games, etc

IEatApples
Jul 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
This + the Nintendo thing = FUN :D

Hmm... + iPhone = :eek: :D :) :D :eek:

NO, actually just: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corozive
Jul 18, 2006, 05:13 PM
I Want it now :)

illegalprelude
Jul 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
lame. I dont wany my iPod to play games and unless to change the entire design and convince developers to make serious games for it, I got my PSP and its perfect. I dont need to play Frogger and Soliter with my "iGamePod" :rolleyes:

But the move with nVidia is nice for future inhancments as maybe they can bump up how the menues look, maybe add a slightly more OS type features instead of just scroll.

ro2nie
Jul 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
This + the Nintendo thing = FUN :D

Hmm... + iPhone = :eek: :D :) :D :eek:

NO, actually just: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yep... this could be it...

Object-X
Jul 18, 2006, 05:28 PM
lame. I dont wany my iPod to play games and unless to change the entire design and convince developers to make serious games for it, I got my PSP and its perfect. I dont need to play Frogger and Soliter with my "iGamePod" :rolleyes:

But the move with nVidia is nice for future inhancments as maybe they can bump up how the menues look, maybe add a slightly more OS type features instead of just scroll.

You may not, but my 5 year old would absolutely love it! He loves anything that's old school arcade. This could be a way for Apple to tap into another market for the iPod...children. My son could care less about music at his age but he loves video games and any device that has them.

Apple added video to the iPod but said it's primary purpose was still music, ie. a music player that just happens to play video. Same thing could happen with games. It's still an iPod for music that just happens to be able to play games or, at least, has more interesting games than it currently has.

You don't sell millions of iPods without selling to a very diverse group of people who have different interests and needs. For the iPod to continue to be ubiquitous, it will have to evolve with chameleon like characteristics.

Eniregnat
Jul 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
Apple isn't one to rush it's upgrades. It will trickle out improvements. Better video, then real-time rendering for games, etc... They know how to string along a market. If Apple is worried about M$ product, then they might add gaming up-front, but I doubt it.

bigandy
Jul 18, 2006, 05:34 PM
why all the heating up with the damn ipod rumours? i don't want more ipod stuff! i want powermac/macpro stuff at wwdc!

Nikkobengco
Jul 18, 2006, 05:34 PM
they should just make and perfect the iPHONE idea. I dont think the iGamePod will work. But hey, who am i to know that. We'll see that when we see that.

Just imagine this, searching a song in your iPHONE by typing the title or song(just like the one in iTUNES), using the keypad of the iPHONE and the songs closest to the one you type will appear.

I like psp, as of this time. . .
but i dont like the idea of iGAMEPOD,as of this time. . .

dizastor
Jul 18, 2006, 05:36 PM
Maybe this is where the real video cards from the macbooks ended up?

It's just a joke, but it does seem odd, doesn't it. ;)

(Yes I realize the intel inegrated graphics is probably much better than this particular nVidia chip)

stunna
Jul 18, 2006, 05:46 PM
Maybe this is where the real video cards from the macbooks ended up?

It's just a joke, but it does seem odd, doesn't it. ;)

(Yes I realize the intel inegrated graphics is probably much better than this particular nVidia chip)
rofl

Apple going after the PSP type systems?
or really high def hand helds?
This will be very interesting.

ebuc
Jul 18, 2006, 05:49 PM
rofl

Apple going after the PSP type systems?
or really high def hand helds?
This will be very interesting.

Apple might give iPods some more games, but it really is a device that has stayed audio-oriented for years and will likely stay that way.

Though, being able to play Super Mario on an iPod would out-do any new games on a PSP, so...

Mainyehc
Jul 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
Apple might give iPods some more games, but it really is a device that has stayed audio-oriented for years and will likely stay that way.

Though, being able to play Super Mario on an iPod would out-do any new games on a PSP, so...

Defitinely. Make Super Mario Bros 3 run on it, and I'll get one! :D

macnews
Jul 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
I think this is a good thing. I don't know much about Nvidia, other than they make some good video cards and go back and forth with ATI.

I do see potential if they are developing for the iPod perhaps we will get better compatibility with all macs. Also, hopefully this will mean seeing more top of the line video cards in the pro machines. Again, I am no expert but I always read, and see people on these forums bitch, about how the latest Apple offering isn't comparable to what you can get on the PC side. Understand I speak only about desktop machines where you have more video card options.

I would also hope Nvidia has more R&D $$$ than the current provider as this might mean we could actually see a video iPod soon. I think the fight for this market would be pretty huge, espcially given the recent slump in PC sales across the board.

macnews
Jul 18, 2006, 06:13 PM
Defitinely. Make Super Mario Bros 3 run on it, and I'll get one! :D

I can't imagine controlling Super Mario 3 with the click wheel!

BTW, Lisbon is a nice city. Very much enjoyed time there.

BornAgainMac
Jul 18, 2006, 06:30 PM
I can't imagine controlling Super Mario 3 with the click wheel!

I can. Make it turn based.

MrCrowbar
Jul 18, 2006, 06:48 PM
I can. Make it turn based.

Pffff! :p
(Stupid Flanders :rolleyes: )

mackiwi
Jul 18, 2006, 06:53 PM
I can really see this being used for 3d games.

And the nintendo thing makes sense. Doesn't the new nintendo machine - Wii - let you download old school nintendo games for a few dollars each?

Sounds like something that will be on a new itunes store.

bloodycape
Jul 18, 2006, 07:07 PM
This could be only for a higher video quality with out the jerkyness. Hell, ATI and Nvidia are now making chips for phones and similar devices just for the higher video demands. There some true PMP that use AMD cpu and gfx for video performance as its primary goal. I think Apple can use the nvida let say their GoForce 5500 chip or GoForce 4800 or 4000 to lower cost. Then add a unix/linux(open source based) based os like what the touch screen iStation pmps' uses or the Neuros non touch based systeem.

kev0476
Jul 18, 2006, 07:08 PM
The great thing about nvidia is they come out with updates that make the graphics cards much faster. me likes!

dr_lha
Jul 18, 2006, 07:23 PM
All very interesting, but why does this jackass insist on using the term "vPod"?

evilgEEk
Jul 18, 2006, 08:25 PM
3D solitaire. Hot!

I really don't have any interest in playing games on my iPod, well, aside from a game of solitaire every now and then as I'm waiting at the doctor's office or somethin.

I do really like the current iPod interface, simplicity is best in my book. But a better chip is always good. :)

GFLPraxis
Jul 18, 2006, 08:30 PM
All very interesting, but why does this jackass insist on using the term "vPod"?

Yeah, I know- with Apple's naming scheme it's more likely to be called the "Pod Pro" now :p

JackSYi
Jul 18, 2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah, iPod Pro. :) I want it.

Will_reed
Jul 18, 2006, 09:03 PM
This sounds interesting but hmmm Im thinking about getting an ipod in early september so now im a little worried I dont wanna get a 30 gig video and 2 weeks later this awsomeness comes out or somthin

cloudnine
Jul 18, 2006, 09:09 PM
why all the heating up with the damn ipod rumours? i don't want more ipod stuff! i want powermac/macpro stuff at wwdc!

I have to agree... as much as I hate to admit it, being an avid Apple fan, I'm sorta sick and tired of hearing about iPod rumors. Personally, I'd love to see them finally come forth with some sort of iPDA... a pda that will finally sync with a mac flawlessly. I'd rather see that than an iPhone, but an iPhone would be pretty rad, too...

They have iPods that store anywhere from 1gb to 60gb that shows photos, videos, plays games, and can sync with your addressbook, notes, calendar... who gives a crap if they can play nintendo games from 1989? Ugh.

miketcool
Jul 18, 2006, 10:45 PM
nVidia on iPod = 3D Menus = remote w/ ipod = front row for ipod

::think::

avensis087
Jul 18, 2006, 11:07 PM
i don't really think the nvidia chip is being brought in for enhanced gaming graphics. i think it's being brought in for enhanced video for..um..let's see..MOVIES? possibly high definition films available through iTMS perhaps? maybe a restyled menu layout with finer graphics and 3D menus? but i doubt their focus is on gaming.

mr

ezekielrage_99
Jul 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
nVidia.... I thought the more logical Apple choice would have been ATi.

Still if this rumor is true I can't wait to the result of an nVidia chip in an iPod :cool:

technicolor
Jul 19, 2006, 12:03 AM
2007!?!?!

Well that sucks.....

killr_b
Jul 19, 2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah, iPod Pro. :) I want it.

iPod Pro

I'm all about that concept!

exabytes18
Jul 19, 2006, 12:47 AM
nVidia.... I thought the more logical Apple choice would have been ATi.

I agree.

Though ATi has yet to fail me, I would take a nVidia chip any day.

bloodycape
Jul 19, 2006, 01:32 AM
i don't really think the nvidia chip is being brought in for enhanced gaming graphics. i think it's being brought in for enhanced video for..um..let's see..MOVIES? possibly high definition films available through iTMS perhaps? maybe a restyled menu layout with finer graphics and 3D menus? but i doubt their focus is on gaming.

mr
Yes that what I am saying I think they are using it to enhance movie quality.

NewSc2
Jul 19, 2006, 02:26 AM
doubtful they'll get nintendo games... the Wii is getting a nintendo game download service, and Super Mario, Super Mario 3, etc. are out for the Nintendo DS and GBA

FleurDuMal
Jul 19, 2006, 02:44 AM
I don't quite understand why everyone's automatically made a connection between the iPod and Nvidia and gaming. If you look at some of the latest generation of Nvidia video cards, you'll see that they've all developed impressive capabilities for hardware-based decoding of AVC video. Perhaps Nvidea are developing a chip which will help the next-gen iPod decode AVC smoothly without draining battery life (and hopefully allow better resolutions)?

netdog
Jul 19, 2006, 03:14 AM
Personally, I'd love to see them finally come forth with some sort of iPDA... a pda that will finally sync with a mac flawlessly. I'd rather see that than an iPhone, but an iPhone would be pretty rad, too...

I won't be satisfied unless these two are part of one product.* A portable device needs to be able to make voice and data (GSM/3G and WiFi) connections for Web and email and VOIP, and it must generate email and texts.* Under this must be your entire contact database which will link into the email and the phone dialer/VOIP software.* And oh yeah, let me put some music on there.

This must then be made easy to use and configure, and not allowed to be limited in capabilities by a reseller like Verizon or Cingular.

Honestly, anything less and I think that Apple shouldn't bother to get into the phone buisiness.* I am sure that they will get this one right.

RodThePlod
Jul 19, 2006, 04:41 AM
Personally, I'd love to see them finally come forth with some sort of iPDA... a pda that will finally sync with a mac flawlessly.

Hear, hear!!! That's what I'd love to see. It's so annoying that the current implementations don't sync Notes!!!

I set up a web site that provides text based notes info - but having to tell users step by step how to place their iPod into disk mode, blah, blah, blah is so un-user friendly.

A simple drag 'n' drop into a designated folder which sycnronised Notes on the next link up, (similar to how photos are synced), would be so cool.

These Microsoft announcments seem to have really stoked the fire - I'm hopeful we'll see some really cool iPod stuff coming from Cupertino over the next few months... :D

RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel

iMikeT
Jul 19, 2006, 05:33 AM
Why not contract ATI?

SPUY767
Jul 19, 2006, 06:57 AM
In my experience, nVidia's cards seem to decode video a little better. I have a super old nVidia Card, this is on the PC btw, and it will do hardware decoding of "HD" material encoded in WMV better than an old ATi card will. I'm not sure about H.264 tho.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 19, 2006, 07:19 AM
I agree.

Though ATi has yet to fail me, I would take a nVidia chip any day.

I just thought with ATi's new theater designed chip it would win out over nVidia because the ATi chips are hardware H.264 specific and Apple is really pushing that codec for Quicktime and iTunes.

Still I think Apple needs to resurect the PDA/Newton thing, it's the only major area where Apple needs to do something and soon.

Mal
Jul 19, 2006, 08:26 AM
I won't be satisfied unless these two are part of one product.* A portable device needs to be able to make voice and data (GSM/3G and WiFi) connections for Web and email and VOIP, and it must generate email and texts.* Under this must be your entire contact database which will link into the email and the phone dialer/VOIP software.* And oh yeah, let me put some music on there.

This must then be made easy to use and configure, and not allowed to be limited in capabilities by a reseller like Verizon or Cingular.

Honestly, anything less and I think that Apple shouldn't bother to get into the phone buisiness.* I am sure that they will get this one right.

Actually, I can see them launching two phones simultaneously. One that's basically a Nano + Phone, no PDA but with basic calendar, notes, etc, like a decent phone has, and with the new gaming service that's rumored. The second one would be the PDA, with Newton X, 60 or 80GB drive, and all the top-end features. Price them at, oh, $299 and $499, or even $399 and $599, and they'll have top sellers on their hands.

BTW, one of the guys in our Mac Usergroup here says that all the foundations for iPhone integration is built-in to the Leopard Alpha, or Beta (whatever it's at now). He's one of the testers, and while he obviously can't give us much detail, he claims that it's definitely coming. I'm not sure if I believe him, but he does have some connections, so it's possible.

jW

Stella
Jul 19, 2006, 08:33 AM
Battery Life.

Killyp
Jul 19, 2006, 08:45 AM
I agree with FleurDuMal. Why has everyone instantly related the iPod to this new nVidia deal? Maybe apple are making an extension for the mac which connects to a USB port and acts like a media center for your TV, or maybe they are making a PDA?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 'real' video iPod, one with a nice big screen and 80 gb storage (my iTunes library is growing slowly but surely...). Also, the battery life on the iPods is very poor....

MongoTheGeek
Jul 19, 2006, 09:25 AM

I was kinda hoping to be handed one leaving the keynote at WWDC

johnthevulcan
Jul 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TOUCHED!!!
TOUCH SCREENS
WIFI
BLUETEETH
OH MY!!!

Now think of those patent images from a few weeks ago, how likely is it that each pic was a separate model? Why can it be you see what you need to see, like when listening to music it is a scroll wheel, for all we know it will project an a and b button and your ipod is the coolest looking gameboy on the market, only setback would be for nintendo... unless full on merger, but im already salivating so lets not go into detail. Imagine it coupled with nintendo's upcoming Wii more over the virtual console ideas, the ipod is more than powerful enough to play almost any cartrige based game, with nvidia straddled up we may see something quite spectacular...

Jobs if youre reading this i will totally be your groupie. :) :D :)

KEL9000
Jul 19, 2006, 09:59 AM
it would be sweet if the iPod had a better video chip than the MacBook.

sobedragonfire
Jul 19, 2006, 10:37 AM
iPod Pro

I'm all about that concept!

iMac and Mac Pro

MacBook and MacBook Pro

MacPod and MacPod Pro?
Then maybe MacPod shuffle and MacPod nano? Well see.

jholzner
Jul 19, 2006, 03:00 PM
doubtful they'll get nintendo games... the Wii is getting a nintendo game download service, and Super Mario, Super Mario 3, etc. are out for the Nintendo DS and GBA

True, but I would buy Nintendo games for the iPod but wouldn't buy any of the above listed devices. The market is bigger with iPod and businesses would be stupid to not tap that if they can.

jholzner
Jul 19, 2006, 03:01 PM
iMac and Mac Pro

MacBook and MacBook Pro

MacPod and MacPod Pro?
Then maybe MacPod shuffle and MacPod nano? Well see.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Since the iPod is not a Mac AND it works on Windows those names make no sense.

ezekielrage_99
Jul 21, 2006, 10:54 AM
True, but I would buy Nintendo games for the iPod but wouldn't buy any of the above listed devices. The market is bigger with iPod and businesses would be stupid to not tap that if they can.

Totally agree, if Apple has the edge in an area over the competition it would be silly not to capitalise on adding new function to an already successful and well selling device.

jm1234567890
Jul 22, 2006, 06:50 AM
Nvidia had the soundstorm before, maybe they will be supplying one chip for all the iPod's multimedia needs.