Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nvidia may have beaten out Broadcom for the contract to supply Apple with next-generation "true video iPod" chips, according to EE Times.

"Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation vPod socket at the expense of Broadcom," said Satya Chillara, an analyst with American Technology Research Inc. (Greenwich, Conn.), in a new report.

"We believe the Nvidia chip adds 3D graphics functionality in addition to all of the existing features (such as H.264) that Broadcom supported with the existing vPod," he said.

Today's 5G iPod uses an audio codec processor from Portalplayer and Broadcom's multimedia chip. The rumored "true" video iPod contracts have, until now, been up for grabs. The iPods are currently not expected until early 2007.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
lame. I dont wany my iPod to play games and unless to change the entire design and convince developers to make serious games for it, I got my PSP and its perfect. I dont need to play Frogger and Soliter with my "iGamePod" :rolleyes:

But the move with nVidia is nice for future inhancments as maybe they can bump up how the menues look, maybe add a slightly more OS type features instead of just scroll.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
All things to all people

illegalprelude said:
lame. I dont wany my iPod to play games and unless to change the entire design and convince developers to make serious games for it, I got my PSP and its perfect. I dont need to play Frogger and Soliter with my "iGamePod" :rolleyes:

But the move with nVidia is nice for future inhancments as maybe they can bump up how the menues look, maybe add a slightly more OS type features instead of just scroll.

You may not, but my 5 year old would absolutely love it! He loves anything that's old school arcade. This could be a way for Apple to tap into another market for the iPod...children. My son could care less about music at his age but he loves video games and any device that has them.

Apple added video to the iPod but said it's primary purpose was still music, ie. a music player that just happens to play video. Same thing could happen with games. It's still an iPod for music that just happens to be able to play games or, at least, has more interesting games than it currently has.

You don't sell millions of iPods without selling to a very diverse group of people who have different interests and needs. For the iPod to continue to be ubiquitous, it will have to evolve with chameleon like characteristics.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Apple isn't one to rush it's upgrades. It will trickle out improvements. Better video, then real-time rendering for games, etc... They know how to string along a market. If Apple is worried about M$ product, then they might add gaming up-front, but I doubt it.

Nikkobengco

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2006
SECWET
they should just make and perfect the iPHONE idea. I dont think the iGamePod will work. But hey, who am i to know that. We'll see that when we see that.

Just imagine this, searching a song in your iPHONE by typing the title or song(just like the one in iTUNES), using the keypad of the iPHONE and the songs closest to the one you type will appear.

I like psp, as of this time. . .
but i dont like the idea of iGAMEPOD,as of this time. . .

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
why all the heating up with the damn ipod rumours? i don't want more ipod stuff! i want powermac/macpro stuff at wwdc!

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Maybe this is where the real video cards from the macbooks ended up?

It's just a joke, but it does seem odd, doesn't it. ;)

(Yes I realize the intel inegrated graphics is probably much better than this particular nVidia chip)

stunna

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2005
greenmonsterman said:
Maybe this is where the real video cards from the macbooks ended up?

It's just a joke, but it does seem odd, doesn't it. ;)

(Yes I realize the intel inegrated graphics is probably much better than this particular nVidia chip)
rofl

Apple going after the PSP type systems?
or really high def hand helds?
This will be very interesting.

ebuc

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
stunna said:
rofl

Apple going after the PSP type systems?
or really high def hand helds?
This will be very interesting.

Apple might give iPods some more games, but it really is a device that has stayed audio-oriented for years and will likely stay that way.

Though, being able to play Super Mario on an iPod would out-do any new games on a PSP, so...

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
ebuc said:
Apple might give iPods some more games, but it really is a device that has stayed audio-oriented for years and will likely stay that way.

Though, being able to play Super Mario on an iPod would out-do any new games on a PSP, so...

Defitinely. Make Super Mario Bros 3 run on it, and I'll get one! :D

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I think this is a good thing. I don't know much about Nvidia, other than they make some good video cards and go back and forth with ATI.

I do see potential if they are developing for the iPod perhaps we will get better compatibility with all macs. Also, hopefully this will mean seeing more top of the line video cards in the pro machines. Again, I am no expert but I always read, and see people on these forums bitch, about how the latest Apple offering isn't comparable to what you can get on the PC side. Understand I speak only about desktop machines where you have more video card options.

I would also hope Nvidia has more R&D $$$ than the current provider as this might mean we could actually see a video iPod soon. I think the fight for this market would be pretty huge, espcially given the recent slump in PC sales across the board.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Mainyehc said:
Defitinely. Make Super Mario Bros 3 run on it, and I'll get one! :D

I can't imagine controlling Super Mario 3 with the click wheel!

BTW, Lisbon is a nice city. Very much enjoyed time there.

mackiwi

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
I can really see this being used for 3d games.

And the nintendo thing makes sense. Doesn't the new nintendo machine - Wii - let you download old school nintendo games for a few dollars each?

Sounds like something that will be on a new itunes store.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
This could be only for a higher video quality with out the jerkyness. Hell, ATI and Nvidia are now making chips for phones and similar devices just for the higher video demands. There some true PMP that use AMD cpu and gfx for video performance as its primary goal. I think Apple can use the nvida let say their GoForce 5500 chip or GoForce 4800 or 4000 to lower cost. Then add a unix/linux(open source based) based os like what the touch screen iStation pmps' uses or the Neuros non touch based systeem.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
All very interesting, but why does this jackass insist on using the term "vPod"?

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
3D solitaire. Hot!

I really don't have any interest in playing games on my iPod, well, aside from a game of solitaire every now and then as I'm waiting at the doctor's office or somethin.

I do really like the current iPod interface, simplicity is best in my book. But a better chip is always good. :)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
dr_lha said:
All very interesting, but why does this jackass insist on using the term "vPod"?

Yeah, I know- with Apple's naming scheme it's more likely to be called the "Pod Pro" now :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.