Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
After a couple hours of browsing, mostly with 1-2 windows or 1-2 tabs open, Safari's memory usage is consistently 300-400 MB and one time I even had a slew of pageouts on my activity monitor .... the only time I've ever had pageouts. I know sites like espn.com, mlb.com, and youtube.com probably increase memory usage b/c of the flash content...... but 300-400 MB? I can live with 100-200 MB (which is what Firefox uses on my system) but 300-400 MB seems quite out of control.

Any remedies?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
rdf8585 said:
After a couple hours of browsing, mostly with 1-2 windows or 1-2 tabs open, Safari's memory usage is consistently 300-400 MB and one time I even had a slew of pageouts on my activity monitor .... the only time I've ever had pageouts. I know sites like espn.com, mlb.com, and youtube.com probably increase memory usage b/c of the flash content...... but 300-400 MB? I can live with 100-200 MB (which is what Firefox uses on my system) but 300-400 MB seems quite out of control.

Any remedies?
Safari caches aggressively. Either clear your cache or quit Safari and start it up again. Unfortunately, there isn't a memory cache preference.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I reset Safari every now and then to keep this sort of behaviour at bay. I haven't actively tested how well resetting helps, but it seems to help a little bit. :)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
mad jew said:
I reset Safari every now and then to keep this sort of behaviour at bay. I haven't actively tested how well resetting helps, but it seems to help a little bit. :)

I agree, I do the same thing every few weeks. It does help out a lot and speeds everything up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.