PDA

View Full Version : Normal iPod + Nike?

tektonnic
Jul 19, 2006, 03:30 AM
Has anyone tried the normal 5g iPod with the nike+ stuff?

EricNau
Jul 19, 2006, 03:39 AM
I haven't tried it personally, but other users have reported that it is not allowed and results in an error message.

feelthefire
Jul 20, 2006, 07:13 AM
The Nike+ kit does not work with any iPod other than the nano. If you connect one, you will get a display message that the device is not supported.

Chundles
Jul 20, 2006, 07:21 AM
It's not available.

If Apple were to promote the Nike + iPod deal with a regular 5G iPod they would be admitting that running with a hard-drive based iPod would be an activity that they were designed for (and they most certainly are NOT) and would thus be liable for all repairs required from running-associated damage and also for any returns due to the iPod being "not fit for purpose."

I can guarantee you it would work with a 5G iPod, Apple just aren't crazy enough to allow it - there would just be too much money to spend on fixing hundreds of busted hard drives.

It will be flash-based iPod only until they come out with a hard drive that can handle the extreme shock that comes with running and seeing as hard drives are getting smaller and increasing capacity that's not likely to happen.

Slightly off-topic, anyone know when this is coming to Australia? It's advertised on the AU site but there's still no movement at the station with respect to an approximate sale day. I'd love to get one - would really help me get this weight off if I can plot my walks.

.Andy
Jul 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
Slightly off-topic, anyone know when this is coming to Australia? It's advertised on the AU site but there's still no movement at the station with respect to an approximate sale day. I'd love to get one - would really help me get this weight off if I can plot my walks.
I'd love to know the same thing Chundles. I've signed up for them to email me when it's available on the nike portion of apple.com.au but still haven't received anything. Really keen to give it a go plotting soccer matches to see how far I run on a week to week basis. I think it's going to get me quite enthused to better myself every week and that's cool :cool:!

MattyMac
Jul 20, 2006, 08:23 AM
Off topic...but I can't wait for my shoes to come in:D

REDSRT4
Jul 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
I have a friend who tried and it did not work, only gave an error message

count chocula
Jul 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
support for nike+ipod was built into the firmware update for the nano, but they left it out of the 5G update for reasons that chundles stated.

dbonesyl
Jul 24, 2006, 10:27 AM
I've been running with my 20gb 4g iPod for almost 2 years, and I have never had any sort of problem.

Granted, my maximum running time is about an hour, but I've gone on literally hundreds of runs with my hard drive based iPod and its not had any problems.

That said, I still want a nano so I can use the Nike+ rig.