PDA

View Full Version : Who had the CS2s for sale?

Chef Medeski
Jul 19, 2006, 03:40 PM
I wanted a copy of the Adobe CS2 from the guy who was closing his business, but I can't find hid thread. Anyone remember what thread it was or who the user was? Or if the guy can just contact me.

baby duck monge
Jul 19, 2006, 03:45 PM
I wanted a copy of the Adobe CS2 from the guy who was closing his business, but I can't find hid thread. Anyone remember what thread it was or who the user was?

I forget who it was, but it got locked and removed. Presumably there was something the mods didn't like about the sale (ie: it may not have been legal).

amacgenius
Jul 19, 2006, 03:55 PM
(ie: it may not have been legal).

Wrong, Doctor Q locked the thread due to the OP not being qualified for the Marketplace due to him having less than 100 posts, not because the goods were/weren't legal.

I just can't remember OPs username or find where the thread went, sorry.

baby duck monge
Jul 19, 2006, 03:58 PM
Wrong, Doctor Q locked the thread due to the OP not being qualified for the Marketplace due to him having less than 100 posts, not because the goods were/weren't legal.

I just can't remember OPs username or find where the thread went, sorry.

Excellent. I had checked the Wasteland right after, but I didn't see the post there (so I had to guess). Though I don't really understand why people with less than 100 posts even have the ability to start threads in the marketplace :confused:

Glad to hear that there's nothing fishy going on. :D

amacgenius
Jul 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
I think I found him (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=75232)!

baby duck monge
Jul 19, 2006, 05:31 PM
I think I found him (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=75232)!

I do believe you are correct, sir. I would totally buy one except I only really use Photoshop and already have CS2 for that.

devilot
Jul 19, 2006, 06:46 PM
Though I don't really understand why people with less than 100 posts even have the ability to start threads in the marketplace :confused: I'm guessing because that member has contributed so his title sort of threw the site for a loop?

baby duck monge
Jul 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
I'm guessing because that member has contributed so his title sort of threw the site for a loop?

Ah. I hadn't thought about contributing not giving you a free pass to post. I guess it's fine, but I think perhaps we should let contributors post where they want since the reason for the restriction is to get people involved in the community first (and if you give money, I think you are committed). Oh well. Not a big enough deal for me to bring it up in the Site Comment forum.

Maxwell Smart
Jul 19, 2006, 07:39 PM
I think what happens, is A) either the members posts in the wrong forum and a mod moves it to the marketplace without checking his post count, or B) He had 100 or more posts, but enough of his posts were deleted to lower it down to below 100

craigatkinson
Jul 19, 2006, 07:47 PM
I bought one from him. I sent him a PM right when the thread was posted.

devilot
Jul 19, 2006, 08:13 PM
Ah. I hadn't thought about contributing not giving you a free pass to post.It's NOT. Why do you think his thread was closed? ;)

Being a contributor doesn't mean you don't follow forum rules.

baby duck monge
Jul 19, 2006, 08:22 PM
It's NOT. Why do you think his thread was closed? ;)

Being a contributor doesn't mean you don't follow forum rules.

That's what I said. I was saying that I hadn't thought about the fact that it didn't get you out of following the rules. Probably because the vast majority of contributors have plenty of posts regardless. I just went on to say that perhaps that rule could be changed for them because they are obviously contributing (for lack of a better word) to the community which is the point of the post reqs, I think.

craigatkinson
Jul 28, 2006, 06:23 PM
I can't seem to find the thread where I purchased CS2, but I just wanted to inform everyone that I have recieved my copy. I installed it. It works great. The only thing is it doesn't ask me to activate it. That part is all greyed out. I was told by the seller that this would occur. I just don't know why. I'm not 100% sure on the legality of it all, but it seems to be legit. It works great. If anyone can direct to me to the thread where these copies were for sale I'll update everyone there.

elfin buddy
Jul 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
I can't seem to find the thread where I purchased CS2, but I just wanted to inform everyone that I have recieved my copy. I installed it. It works great. The only thing is it doesn't ask me to activate it. That part is all greyed out. I was told by the seller that this would occur. I just don't know why. I'm not 100% sure on the legality of it all, but it seems to be legit. It works great. If anyone can direct to me to the thread where these copies were for sale I'll update everyone there.

How did you receive your copy? Is it on an official Adobe set of CD's, or a burned set?

You could probably check the legality of it by contacting Adobe and asking them about it.

mark!
Jul 28, 2006, 07:31 PM
Retail requires activation. Enterprise doesn't.

craigatkinson
Jul 28, 2006, 07:46 PM
This was a volume licencing version. It was the version you download off of the internet. I was sent a burned DVD that had all the files that were downloaded off of the internet. So it must be the enterprise version that was mentioned.

kevin.rivers
Jul 28, 2006, 07:58 PM

Do you know if he still has any left? Thanks.

craigatkinson
Jul 28, 2006, 08:00 PM
I believe he does. I can't find the original thread though. I contacted Adobe to make sure that my transaction has been legal. If they affirm that it was then it would be a good idea to find this guy and buy them from him quick.

Do you know if he still has any left? Thanks.

kevin.rivers
Jul 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
I believe he does. I can't find the original thread though. I contacted Adobe to make sure that my transaction has been legal. If they affirm that it was then it would be a good idea to find this guy and buy them from him quick.

How much were they? I never saw the thread.

craigatkinson
Jul 28, 2006, 08:05 PM
$150.

Chef Medeski
Jul 28, 2006, 08:15 PM
I received a set too and it worked great.

Much thanks.

craigatkinson
Jul 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
No doubt. It work's perfectly. I'm just concerned about the legality because my wife is going to want to use it for her photography business.

I received a set too and it worked great.

Much thanks.

Chef Medeski
Jul 28, 2006, 08:44 PM
No doubt. It work's perfectly. I'm just concerned about the legality because my wife is going to want to use it for her photography business.
Well, mine came with a serial number. So, if there is no one else using that serial number it is completely legal. I mean each serial number ensures one copy of the software as property. Property can be sold, traded, or replaced... as long as it is not duplicated in any shape and form (if its copy righted or a patent, without the consent of the patent wielding individual; if not... well its freethink). So... it is legal as long as the serial numbers are unique, which the seller has assured me they are. He said if I every came upon a problem, I could return them for a full refund.

craigatkinson
Jul 28, 2006, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately it's not so simple. Adobe has a whole section on their webpage describing different ways of pirating software. To be fair, I didn't read anything that made me feel that this deal isn't legal. I'm only playing on the safe side.

Well, mine came with a serial number. So, if there is no one else using that serial number it is completely legal. I mean each serial number ensures one copy of the software as property. Property can be sold, traded, or replaced... as long as it is not duplicated in any shape and form (if its copy righted or a patent, without the consent of the patent wielding individual; if not... well its freethink). So... it is legal as long as the serial numbers are unique, which the seller has assured me they are. He said if I every came upon a problem, I could return them for a full refund.

chrismccorkle
Jul 30, 2006, 01:23 PM
Hello. I was the one selling the copies, but the thread was shut down due to an unsettling feeling created by comments of skeptical users. The thread environment turned hostile because of how 'too good to be true' the deal was. It is very unfortunate that insecure MR members have to ruin it for those just trying to get a good deal.

I still have them for sale. As you can tell, the folks who bought a copy are happy.

Message me if you'd like one.

iGary
Jul 30, 2006, 01:26 PM
Hello. I was the one selling the copies, but the thread was shut down due to an unsettling feeling created by comments of skeptical users. The thread environment turned hostile because of how 'too good to be true' the deal was. It is very unfortunate that insecure MR members have to ruin it for those just trying to get a good deal.

I still have them for sale. As you can tell, the folks who bought a copy are happy.

According to Adobe, you are not permitted to sell software licenses that do not personally belong to you, but you just keep on keeping on. :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet
Jul 30, 2006, 01:30 PM
...It is very unfortunate that insecure MR members have to ruin it for those just trying to get a good deal.

Nothing to do with insecurity. What you're doing is against licensing regulations. I can't believe your gall...

craigatkinson
Jul 31, 2006, 02:49 PM
I received work from Adobe today. I'll copy and paste it's contents on here.

Totally illegal...where were they purchased?

Chris Stickle
Enforcement Manager, Anti-Piracy
Adobe Systems, Inc.
601 Townsend St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
415.832.5140 fax
cstickle@adobe.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 5:59 PM
To: piracy
Subject:

To whom it may concern,

I bought a copy of Adobe Creative Suite 2. The seller claimed that
his company had bought them under a volume license and then went out
of business. He said he was in charge of selling the unregistered
licenses. They had been downloaded, but not yet registered or
installed on a computer. He copied the downloaded files to a DVD and
sent it to me. I've installed it, and registered it, it never asked
me to activate it (I'm guessing because its an enterprise version).
I want to make sure that what I have done is legal. If not I am
going to request that this seller give me my money back. Please
contact me ASAP. Thank you.
Craig Atkinson

iGary
Jul 31, 2006, 02:52 PM
Totally illegal...where were they purchased?

But we are just a bunch of insecure whiners.

You know what really bothers me about you?

You steal people's money and then blame it on people wo are skeptical enough to see through your BS.

You are nothing more than a thief. I hope the buyers here report you to Adobe.

chrismccorkle
Jul 31, 2006, 10:35 PM
guys i know you are going to hate me and say 'i told you so' but yes these are illegal.

i take all the blame for this. i purchased these from WHAT I THOUGHT was a legit adobe.com but it WASNT. the company i worked for and i personally have been HAD.

i am refunding the money to purchasers come thursday. i feel really really bad about this and all of your doubt, skepticism, and blame are ENTIRELY warranted. i am asking that *you destroy your copies* as i am destroying mine.

i do not want to take the heat for something i had no idea was illegal. i apologize to everyone. i am sorry.

these copies are illegal. i bought them from a bogus site who supplied me with a 'download.'

i have now officially learned the lesson to NEVER buy goods unless they are physical.

again, and for the last time, i take this blame. i apologize. chef medeski and craigatkinson will be receiving their refunds in full come thursday.

i will now never post to MacRumors again. i am sorry everybody.

MovieCutter
Jul 31, 2006, 10:55 PM
No wonder your business went under, they had you make a purchase decision...bet they'll never make that mistake again :rolleyes:

And you're full of $#!*. You get called out and all the sudden you admit they're illegal. Should have done you're homework beforehand. Get out of here and never come back you thief...Can we lock and wasteland this now?

chrismccorkle
Jul 31, 2006, 11:12 PM
well, a couple of things.

1) i went to adobe to see if they were in fact legit which is something i should have done first but never did, and they turned out to be illegal.

2) i am a macrumors contributor and did not come here in haste to sell illegal copies. i have started a number of threads and have continually replied to many others in good faith.

3) come thursday, each and every person, members of MR and others, are getting a refund and i am demanding refunds from the merchant i bought the copies from.

4) i would like to apologize, again, for my ignorance, naivety, and blatant disregard for the illegal acts i have committed.

you, as a group and forum, have every right to criticize me and belittle me for my actions. i have not been smart and not only do i know that, but i regret it as well.

any action taken against me by this forum is entirely warranted, justified, and understood.

again, i apologize to every user here. i am taking action against what has been done to you, and especially what has been done to me.

good day.

craigatkinson
Jul 31, 2006, 11:16 PM
Is there any possibility that this software contains viruses, malware, etc? I really hope not. I don't want my computer to get screwed up.

chrismccorkle
Jul 31, 2006, 11:23 PM
craig: not to my knowledge. you will be receiving your refund in full (as stated in your pm) this thursday, august 3.

here is the email i sent to chris stickle of adobe:

Hello,
You were recently contacted by a gentleman, Craig Atkinson, who purchased a copy of Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium for Mac from me.

My name is Chris McCorkle and I am a photographer and graphic designer, as well as a manager of a retail store at a local mall here in Georgia.

I did not know that these copies were illegal until I was contacted by this gentleman. Since then I have done some research about the merchant I bought them from and have found them to be entirely fraudulent as well.

Here is there website: http://warezstore.com/o/?productID=12910102

After sending my credit card information and being charged, I was provided the 6-disc download of the product- something I thought was fishy from the start, but out of naivety, ignored.

I purchased 13 copies from them for a company I worked for, whose name I will not disclose, which has since gone bankrupt and closed its doors.

There are two actions I am taking:
1) I am refunding in full the amounts that were paid to me by not only Craig Atkinson, but by other individuals as well. I sold the 'unused' copies for $149 each, and accepted payment through PayPal, through which I will provide the refunds. I have asked each individual to uninstall their copies and destroy the discs.

2) I have contacted but have not yet heard back from the merchant regarding the legitimacy of the products, which are assumed illegal. I have destroyed my copies.

I hope this email provides you with helpful information you may need.
If you have any more questions, PLEASE CALL ME DIRECT at ***-***-****.

Thank you,
Chris McCorkle

panoz7
Jul 31, 2006, 11:23 PM
Can we lock and wasteland this now?

Don't wasteland (or lock) this until its resolved... i.e. I get my money back.

Should have known this was too good to be true, and that the nervous feeling I've had since sending payment was justified.

chrismccorkle: I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were telling the truth all along and were just as naive as the rest of us. That being the case, why are you waiting until thursday to send out the refunds?

chrismccorkle
Jul 31, 2006, 11:25 PM
paycheck from work. i'm sorry for the delay.

panoz7
Jul 31, 2006, 11:27 PM
paycheck from work. i'm sorry for the delay.

OK... thanks. Just wanted to reassure myself that nothing fishy was happening.

chrismccorkle
Jul 31, 2006, 11:31 PM
no sir. everything is being taken care of.

To BlueVelvet and iGary: never stop being skeptical. never. your doubt and serious bulls*** detector has not only saved other users from fraud but me as well. i apologize personally to you two, and praise your actions entirely.

please trash this thread and allow other people trying to sell legit things get some more views.

xfiftyfour
Jul 31, 2006, 11:33 PM
Okay, i've been quiet in this thread this entire time, but seriously? The site you bought CS2 from originally has "warez" in its very title! Did that not clue you in? How about the fact that it was only $45!? Did you read the Terms of the site?

Honestly.

chrismccorkle
Jul 31, 2006, 11:35 PM
honestly, i didn't. i bought the products in haste.

again, my own fault.

iGary
Aug 1, 2006, 06:00 AM
You originally said your previous employer bought them directly from Adobe.

The lies continue. :rolleyes:

eva01
Aug 1, 2006, 06:45 AM
wait a second you bought software from a website that has the word warez in the URL. And you didn't know they were illegal?

That just doesn't seem logical or believable

chrismccorkle
Aug 1, 2006, 06:52 AM
that's the truth people. i'm done posting.

MovieCutter
Aug 1, 2006, 07:26 AM
wait a second you bought software from a website that has the word warez in the URL. And you didn't know they were illegal?

That just doesn't seem logical or believable

I can't even access that site at work because the corporate filter blocks it due to "Criminal Activities". :rolleyes:

CNU182
Aug 1, 2006, 10:25 AM
I can't even access that site at work because the corporate filter blocks it due to "Criminal Activities". :rolleyes:
not to stray too far from the path, but is it criminal with this clause

1. You are required to own an original copy of the title you intend to backup, if you sell or give away the original copy, you will either, (A) Destroy that backup or (B) Give the backup to the person receiving the original. This law extends to PC and basically anything that consists of copyable data for backup purposes.

Obviously for this man to purchase the copies he tried reselling it was..

craigatkinson
Aug 1, 2006, 12:10 PM
I wonder how many people who buy from the website actually have the original. I would be surprised if any.

not to stray too far from the path, but is it criminal with this clause

Obviously for this man to purchase the copies he tried reselling it was..

CNU182
Aug 1, 2006, 12:14 PM
I wonder how many people who buy from the website actually have the original. I would be surprised if any.
Of course, I hope I was clear in stating the fact that probably very few/if any actually abide by the contract.

panoz7
Aug 3, 2006, 11:33 PM
Anybody get their refunds today? I didn't and I'm kind of annoyed. Should I open a paypal dispute? Does that do anything? I just want my money back...

xfiftyfour
Aug 3, 2006, 11:38 PM
Should I open a paypal dispute?
I probably would.

craigatkinson
Aug 4, 2006, 01:03 AM
I didn't get mine either, I emailed him today about it. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Anybody get there refunds today? I didn't and I'm kind of annoyed. Should I open a paypal dispute? Does that do anything? I just want my money back...

ReanimationLP
Aug 4, 2006, 03:40 AM
*Falls over laughing*

NO S*** THEY'RE ILLEGAL!

YOU BOUGHT THEM FROM A WAREZ SITE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez

For anyone who doesnt know what warez is, consult the link above.

I'm personally willing to bet that he saw these on the site, went WOW, and decided to come here and con some people.

I'm betting that he collected the money, went to the site, bought the license, paid the 45, handed over the links to the buyer, and pocketed the extra 104 dollars.

panoz7
Aug 4, 2006, 09:12 AM
Oh well... a dispute it is.

Funny part about this whole thing is that I never got the CS2 disks in the mail. If I had I never would have checked back on this thread and probably would have lost $149 to a pirated product.

All this makes me feel like a complete sucker an idiot.