PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to airtunes?

irbdavid
Jul 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if an alternative product to airtunes exists? Looking for a way to wirelessly connect my laptop to my speakers, that provides decent sound quality. Airtunes sounds good, but is a little expensive, and apparently the device only has a lifespan of a year or so, as the reciever is so close to the mains plug.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

-irb

zim
Jul 20, 2006, 07:19 AM
Airtunes sounds good, but is a little expensive, and apparently the device only has a lifespan of a year or so, as the reciever is so close to the mains plug.

Where did you hear that? Both of my Expresses are over a year old and are working fine. I have never heard of such a claim. As for alternatives, I don't know of any but can't image you would be able to find an alternative for any less.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 20, 2006, 07:27 AM
Where did you hear that? Both of my Expresses are over a year old and are working fine. I have never heard of such a claim.There are some indication that a few of the earliest AirPort Expresses that was delivered had a lifespan of about a year. Last summer a small number of them, aged 11-14 months seemed to just go "poof" and burn out. Those lucky enough to have this happen within the one year warranty, like myself, got them exchanged without any hassle. I don't really know what happened to those with 13 or 14 month old Expresses, but as I haven't heard any outrage I guess those (few) cases were solved... ;)

I have not heard of any year old Expresses to go "poof" since that, so I gather that it was an issue limited to a (very low) number of the earliest ones. Wouldn't worry about it. Get an AirPort Express, they are fantastic... :)

irbdavid
Jul 20, 2006, 07:34 AM
I got this impression from the customer reviews on the apple site.

However, if you're right Mitthrawnuruodo then yes i probably will get one. Whats the sound quality like?

zim
Jul 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
I got this impression from the customer reviews on the apple site.

However, if you're right Mitthrawnuruodo then yes i probably will get one. Whats the sound quality like?

I see, thank you Mitthrawnuruodo for pointing it out. Well to be honest, only one of my Expresses is over a year old, the other will be very soon. Neither has ever given me any issues whatsoever. I don't think that there is anything else out there that fits the price range and has the flexibility and ease of set up that the Express has. Personally love both of mine. One serves as a main entry point for my wireless network as well as a print station while the other is being used to extend and also supply tunes to my living room, which has the sound system in it... great for parties :) I will also take the living room express with me on trips for use in hotels friends houses etc.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jul 20, 2006, 08:32 AM
Whats the sound quality like?The sound quality is very nice, AirTunes actually streams in encrypted Apple Lossless (if I remember correctly) so the quality you get out is just as good as the one you put in.

My iTunes library consists mainly of aac@128 and I've not bothered with an optical cable between the Express and my Onkyo receiver, I just use a regular analouge one and have no issues with quality. (Note that I grew up in the 70s and 80s with vinyl copied to cassettes... anything sounds good after a few worn out mixed tapes... ;))