PDA

View Full Version : Alternate to the ipod?

carve
Jul 20, 2006, 07:31 AM
Hi, i was just wondering to see if any other companies make MP3 players that still work with mac and itunes. If you could help me that would be good.

iMeowbot
Jul 20, 2006, 07:41 AM
iTunes-compatible players on OS X: here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548).

iTunes-compatible players on Windows: iPod only (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93377).

If any newer Creative players happen to use the same protocol, they might work, but Apple won't be helping...

michaeldmartin
Jul 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
You're going to have almost no success with using other MP3 players with itunes; it's made for the ipod and for NOTHING else; unfortunately.

Sesshi
Jul 20, 2006, 12:30 PM
There is kind of a workaround with iTunes in the form of iTuneMyWalkman (google it). It's a script which is really well written which allows the use of UMS (USB Mass Storage) players with iTunes. It's not exactly as plug&go as the iPod, but it's a passable substitute.

As well as the purpose it was written for (use iTunes with Sony Ericsson cellphones) you can use certain players from iRiver, iAudio X5/M5/M3, and many others both flash and hard disk. Problem is none of them ultimately hold a candle up to the iPod.

Newer Creatives are MTP so will not work, you'll need XNJB which has a certain degree of 'iTunes Integration' which is extremely basic. Creatives are cheaper than iPods but it shows, even in the new Zen Vision M.

CoMpX
Jul 20, 2006, 12:31 PM
Why would you want to use anything other than an iPod?

benthewraith
Jul 20, 2006, 12:35 PM

Maybe he's simply one of those people that don't like monopolies and wishes to help out the competition.

On that note, although I understand the use of Creative players and all that...

I'm going to stick with Apple's iPod, despite the fact that mines a stupid mini. :(

Sesshi
Jul 20, 2006, 12:39 PM

It's not a silly question to ask, after all we don't all want to be the same. Problem is your question is practically true despite the wealth of choices on offer. Nothing else works anywhere near as well and that's fact. The only machine which worked anywhere near as well as the iPod and was a better player in some ways is dead (the Karma). Nothing else comes close - not iRiver, not iAudio, not any Sony, and not even the current Creative. Maybe the new hyped Toshiba Gigabeat does work better (doubt it) but it's MTP so Mac compatibility is out of the question. It's pretty frustrating for those of us who like choice that noone else seems to really 'get' the iPod and come out with really viable competition.