Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple hasn't yet released its first Intel-based professional model desktop machine, many users are actively watching Intel's future roadmap for hints as to what may next appear in Apple's second revision Mac Pro and XServe machines. CNet News.com reported yesterday afternoon that Intel's quad-core desktop chip (Kentsfield) and Xeon-class chip (Cloverton) have been bumped up and should arrive before year's end.

Educated speculation would therefore indicate that Apple's second revision Mac Pro workstation will feature 8 cores, and other models will all become "Quad" machines. Most recent rumors have indicated that the Mac Pro will use Apple's Xeon-class chips over "desktop" models such as Core 2 Duo "Conroe" and Kentsfield. With Conroe perhaps landing in a future iMac, further speculation would indicate that iMacs down the pipe will feature the 4-core Kentsfield processor.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Hmm, would make for an awesome rev b. MacPro on or around MWSF (probably "around" as MWSF is really a big consumer event).

Bring on the serious grunt!!

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
seems the tragic days of the P4 are gone for intel, good for us! :p With all the high end stuff from intel thats apparently going into the mac im a bit worried about the price of the systems though!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I wonder what they're going to call them, Quad sounds cool but "Octa or Octo" just sounds a bit silly.

MacPro8?

The Mactopus??

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Chundles said:
Hmm, would make for an awesome rev b. MacPro on or around MWSF (probably "around" as MWSF is really a big consumer event).

Bring on the serious grunt!!

Why not? Introduction of world's first commercial 8-core system. Live via webstream, with an awesome keynote, and a presentation of Final Cut Pro using all eight cores to maximum effiency with a live render at a geecktacular speed:)

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Chundles said:
I wonder what they're going to call them, Quad sounds cool but "Octa or Octo" just sounds a bit silly.

MacPro8?

The Mactopus??
Ive already trademarked "OctoCore" and "CoreOcto";)
Just keep saying it to yourself. After about the 12th time it just starts rolling off your tongue...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Macnoviz said:
Why not? Introduction of world's first commercial 8-core system. Live via webstream, with an awesome keynote, and a presentation of Final Cut Pro using all eight cores to maximum effiency with a live render at a geecktacular speed:)

Would be a very long keynote too:

- release date of 10.5 revealed - possibly more stuff revealed
- new software (considerable update to iWork if the rumours are true)
- iMac/MacBook updates
- iPod/iTunes stuff

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Chundles said:

- iMac/MacBook updates
- iPod/iTunes stuff

Strike:

Insert:
-release of 10.5

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Anyone else think this is getting out of hand? Two cores, great improvement. Four cores, ehh it's faster but Joe can't tell. Eight cores, now thats just stupid.
Let me guess it will only come with 512mb of Ram :p (ok it will be at least a GB).

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
wow. 8 cores. *drool

and i was just getting used to dual cores...

i cant wait till they turn up as refurbs... ill own one faster than you can say "no you dont"

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Chundles said:

- iMac/MacBook updates
- iPod/iTunes stuff

And one more thing: The Auad PowerMac has been the fastest Mac until today. I present to you the new Octa Mac Pro!"

moooosedude

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2004
Chundles said:
The Mactopus??

So I was just in the office workin on my new Mactopus...

or

Hey honey! I just dropped 3K on our new Mactopus!

...It could be very fun.

~moooosedude

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
reallynotnick said:
Anyone else think this is getting out of hand? Two cores, great improvement. Four cores, ehh it's faster but Joe can't tell. Eight cores, now thats just stupid.
Let me guess it will only come with 512mb of Ram :p (ok it will be at least a GB).

It's the future, you know, soon the clock speed will be irrelevant and we'll be expressing processor speed in number of cores octocore, hexacore, tricontradicore, hexacontetracore, hecticosoctocore, and such and such

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
this can be only good news, as long as Apple keeps up with the pc world and put these processors in their computers when they are released. i sure hope that they do

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I have a question.

If Kentsfield is a relation of the Conroe part (ie. Core 2 Duo) then will it be capable of being configured in a pair to create a "octo" core machine?

Surely that will require a Xeon class processor (like a quad version of the Woodcrest)?

edit: quad version of Woodcrest is Clovertown.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Macnoviz said:
It's the future, you know, soon the clock speed will be irrelevant and we'll be expressing processor speed in number of cores octocore, hexacore, tricontradicore, hexacontetracore, hecticosoctocore, and such and such

You mean its the future today? I thought it was next week! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.