Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangefoodie

macrumors member
I pray and pray that it's not going to drop to 1200x800 (and dropping the pixel density for the 15.4" diagonal aspect ratio considerably). It probably is though, as most rumours regarding the 15.4 PB claim. A terrible, terrible shame - I hate how macs are always gipped in terms of screen resolution...

scarecrow

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2003
Washington DC
Higher resolution is always nice, but nothing beats improved brightness and/or contrast. I will take a hit on resolution if I get a brighter LCD.:D

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Originally posted by donshank
i don't know what you are talking about... my pb 15" screen res is 1152 x 768. a res of 1200 x 800 is a step up!

The 15" superdrive Ti has a 1280 by x 854 resolution, so if it debuts at 1200 x 800 it would be a step down from the current models. However, I believe the only reason for speculating an introduction at 1200 x 800 is because of the finding that the people who produced the 17"'s screen also produce a 15.4" screen at 1200 x 800. So don't let your hopes get too down.

orangefoodie

macrumors member
But realistically, there is no way Apple will choose something much more sensical and happy like a 1900x1200 resolution in the new PB (which is the highest resolution that 15.4 inch dell can go). THAT would make my day - I mean, there's 1.7 times more pixels in 1900x1200 than there is in the 17 inch powerbook.

That said, I'm still planning to get that 17 inch powerbook...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by donshank
i don't know what you are talking about... my pb 15" screen res is 1152 x 768. a res of 1200 x 800 is a step up!
The PowerBook DVIs are 1280 x 854. The rumored resolution for the 15.4" is 1280 * 800 (16:10 ratio).

If you got your PowerBook before last may, this would be a step us. For newer owners, it's a step down.

I won't be replacing my TiBook for at least another year, so I'm not too concerned about the lower resolution, although I hope Apple has it back up by the time I need a new PowerBook.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
I guess I just don't understand the hubub about the 17" PB. Keeps me locked into a desk (size), big screen that has a low resolution, and you can't get one yet. It is just a novelty item at this stage.

The 15.x" is a nice size, good for real work, but sized in such a way that I would be more than comfortable with it on my lap chillin' on the couch. Only thing to wait for is screen resolution, which I have the feeling I will be disappointed, much like when the iBook 14" came out.

15.4" with a high res, real DDR/FW800/BT/AE/backlit keyboard could be enough to push me over the edge.

Apple, please make me buy something! I am tired of waiting for the next big thing...

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by yzedf
I guess I just don't understand the hubub about the 17" PB. Keeps me locked into a desk (size), big screen that has a low resolution, and you can't get one yet. It is just a novelty item at this stage.
[snip]
I couldn't agree more. I just don't understand why people are so interested in this machine. Sure a 17" screen is nice, but the sacrifices that need to be made to put one in a laptop, not just in terms of size but in terms of weight (the 17" is nearly 2lbs heavier than the 15") makes it not worth it.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Centrino

Apple needs to hurry up with these laptops. They've failed to deliver on the promise set back in January that this would be 'year of the laptop' (3/4 year anyone?).

Meanwhile, next Wednesday sees the release of the Intel Centrino mobile processor. This looks pretty good - much better performance (less of a 'MHz myth' problem than the P4) and much lower power. Added to this is the expected $2bn advertising budget that Intel will use to get this off the ground, and which manufacturars will be keen to get behind.

I expect a whole load of wintel manufacturars will make product releases next week, with lighter/more powerful notebooks - which will better compete with the PowerMacs. Apple needs to wake up before Intel eats their lunch.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
But if you could instead get a brand-new top-of-the-line 15" TiBook 1GHz/512/60/Superdrive for $1,799.00, plus (mandatory) Applecare warranty for an extra $200.00, would you cave?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
so you save 1150 off the retail price of that tibook 2799 down to 1799 and 349 app to 200 app. that seems like a deal to me.

orangefoodie

macrumors member
Hell, they sell the 15" TiBook at the Umich Campus store for $2138 (applecare included). I'm going for the 17 inch because of:
1) The big physical real estate (knowing apple, they aren't going to push the resolution of their screens for a while, 15.4" or otherwise - after all the 17" AlBook's screen is based off the 17" imac)
2) The weight isn't really much of a concern, I'm used to carrying around many many pounds of books, and my mum's Dell laptop weighs more than the 17 inch. :D I've carried that sucker around all over...
3) When you actually make a mock-up of the 17" AlBook footprint, it's not nearly as big as you imagine. (Yes, I _am_ that sort of geek.)
Also, money isn't much of a concern for me cos this is coming out of my parents' money - so I guess I'm terribly biased :D

I just feel bad for Apple because they have boneheads in the marketing department. After all, they announced this with a load of hoo-hah, complete with FULL-PAGE ads on major magazines and newspapers like TIME and the NYT. Now it's been two months, and at this rate no one will remember anything ('specially the pontential switchers lured by the said TIME ads like me) about these Laptops when they actually come out, while Centrino sways the market backed by Intel money.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
so you save 1150 off the retail price of that tibook 2799 down to 1799 and 349 app to 200 app. that seems like a deal to me.

That, plus the delay on the new 15's, swayed me big time. Also, keep in mind that "announcement" does not equate to "now available." You can bet the line is growing already...and if the availability of the 17 is any indication, I'd just as soon get a 15" now and save loads of cash. The extra goodies on the new 15" will never make up for the $1000 I just saved.

As long as I'm here:
Additionally, the possibility of a lower res screen, those slippery new silver keys (they look better than they feel) and that funky plastic trim around the top edge of the new Powerbook's base (on all sizes) -- also weighed heavy in my decision. If you thought scratched paint on the TiBook was an issue, just wait till you see that plastic trim after it gets banged up and start protruding with sharp pieces like nasty hangnails after good use.

You gotta take the good with the so-so.

Overall, I think the quality and craftsmanship of the new iBooks and Powerbooks has suffered a bit. The 12" iBook, arguably the most beautiful of Apple's notebooks, has become just in the last few months a homely shadow of its former self. The new cheap white pebbly-feel plastic keyboard area collects dirt and natural oils and quickly turns a lovely shade of beige after regular use.

Too bad...Just as we were beginning to gain some terrific momentum. I hope Steve reads this forum and takes note.

bikeboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Never mind screen resolution...

...what about performance specifications?

What I mean is, will the 15" PB continue to be the flagship model? or will the 17" take over as Apple's high end notebook?

I'm assuming that because it's the last to be upgraded, the 15" will be more advanced in some way(s) than the 12 and 15 PBs.

Do people generally agree? disagree? How might Apple push the envelope with the new 15"?

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Don't Know...

My 12" is going back in the next couple of days and I'm trying to decide if the wait and couple hundred extra are worth it for the next 15" or if I should just get another 12".

If the 15" looks like this:

a 16:10 screen (I'm okay with the projected resolution)
and
64M Video Card
DDR
AE
BT
1+Ghz (Low Power Usage?)
Lit Keyboard
DVI out
4X Superdrive
80G Hard Drive?
New Enclosure
1G RAM

These would all be improvements on the Ti or advantages over the 12". I think it's worth the dollar difference easy as long as size isn't the crucial factor.

kdog

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2002
15" missing from Apple store

FYI - I noticed the 15" powerbooks were all missing from the Cambridge, MA Apple store this weekend. No comment from the sales clerks.

I hope these 15" models pack a real punch. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the 12" al-book. Basically a 'sexier' version of the iBook without much additional real-world power.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Re: 15" missing from Apple store

Originally posted by kdog
FYI - I noticed the 15" powerbooks were all missing from the Cambridge, MA Apple store this weekend. No comment from the sales clerks.
Forget about next month...I truly believe that new 15.4-inch PowerBooks are imminent. I know we've heard that they've been imminent since late-January. Consider, however, that Dell is likely to introduce yet another 15.4-inch widescreen model as a midrange model when the new Pentium-M chip debuts on Wednesday, March 12th. Might Apple try to counter announce? If supplies of the Titanium are, as someone posted here, constrained as the yet available 17-inch, in concert with the fact that the low-end PowerBook and high-end PowerBook sport both built-in Bluetooth and support for Airport Extreme, I think that leaves this middle PowerBook almost a no-brainer for an update soon.

Can anyone who's visited other Apple Stores around the country vouch for missing 15" Titanium display models in your respective stores?

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Re: Don't Know...

My take on this....

Originally posted by dabirdwell
My 12" is going back in the next couple of days and I'm trying to decide if the wait and couple hundred extra are worth it for the next 15" or if I should just get another 12".

If the 15" looks like this:

a 16:10 screen (I'm okay with the projected resolution)
Probably
64M Video Card Doubtful. ATI is on Steve's *****list, it seems, they'll probably use the same card in the 12' and 17'.
DDR Probably
AE Definitely
BT Definitely
1+Ghz (Low Power Usage?) 1Ghz, yes, faster, no.
Lit Keyboard Definitely
DVI out Definitely
4X Superdrive Doubtful, 2x more likely
80G Hard Drive? Maybe
New Enclosure Definitely, similar to the 12' and 17'
1G RAMDoubtful. 512mb is more likely

This would bring the 15' into the same league as the 12' and 17' versions, and yet not blow either out of the water. I'd guess the price point would stay reasonably the same, too.
And I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between whether to buy in the next month whatever the updated 15' PB might be, or the 17' that I lust for now.

A

AhmedFaisal

Bluetooth PCMCIA Support please!!!

More than anything else I want support for Bluetooth PCMCIA Cards. What does my Powerbook have a PC Card Slot for if not for a Bluetooth Card. The stupid D-Link dongle is an annoyance and it blocks a USB Port.

As for the Powerbook, lets hope they keep the Radeon, the NVIDIA sucks...
Ahmed

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I will now wait for this laptop i have no problem with this but since there are 2 15" PB's i think we will see 2 different models.

One will have all the same features (superdrive, keyboard, Gcard) as the 17" but at a 15" screen but the other 15"PB will have the same features as the 12" Superdrive there by losing its Superdrive, keyboard and possibly Gcard.

I want the 15" Super model with bells and whistles and have budgeted for it already!

However i could wait for the PCC970 as well with the time frame i have set out sincei am moving to NZ for a year next year.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by ryan
I couldn't agree more. I just don't understand why people are so interested in this machine. Sure a 17" screen is nice, but the sacrifices that need to be made to put one in a laptop, not just in terms of size but in terms of weight (the 17" is nearly 2lbs heavier than the 15") makes it not worth it.

Ditto. Sure the 17" is big, and it would be nice, but realistically, I think my next laptop will be a 15" Powerbook. My 12" iBook has done a great job for me in the past year, but what impresses me with the Powerbooks is the nice monitor size. I don't think I need 17", plus the weight behind it. So a 15" would probably suit me just fine, especially with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW. I just don't need DVD burning capabilities, so having a DVD-ROM/CD-RW would provide for faster CD burning than a drive equipped with a Superdrive.

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
7457??

What are the chance that the new 15 incher will use the updated G4.. specifically the reduced power consumption it brings and.. even more importantly, the bigger (512K) L2 cache - which will make a useful and significant impact on performance.

I am waiting to buy (using my company's computers for staff policy, that sees them paying 33% of the cost of a new computer for staff if it is to be used for work) especially waiting for AExtreme and built in bluetooth.. I only hope they don't downgrade the display size and use them GeForce chips...

Anybody have an idea on the 7457 though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.