PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G4 users out there?

_bnkr612
Jul 20, 2006, 02:20 PM
I need to know. Does anyone else have their PowerMac G4 holding their own in the world of G5s and Mactels? I know about PBs, I curious about the desktops more or less.

My specs:

Single 1ghz PowerMac G4, 1.5 GB RAM, 360 GB HD (x2), AirPort Extreme, Super and Combo Drive, X.4.7.

It has been treating me well. I sold a PowerMac G5 1.6 about 2 months ago, really missed having a PowerMac, and I couldn't pass up the deal on this CPU. Truthfully, I haven't noticed much a difference between this machine and my previous 1.6 G5. Call me crazy... I mean I use CS2 (Photoshop, Illu., InDesign), iTunes, Mail, Stickies, Dashboard, Safari and Adium all day. I have yet to say, "damn, come on already!"

This PowerMac will hold me over until I can get my hands on a nice B version of the new Mac Pros!

The only thing I would upgrade would be the video card for my 20" ACD.

I am just glad I can type it out to a place that cares.

Cheers!
Joseph

SC68Cal
Jul 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
I run a dual processor PMG4 (Gig E), with two 500mhz processors. You're not alone out there.

It's a rock solid machine, I'm very pleased with it. I upgraded the video card to a flashed Geforce FX 5200, and have been very pleased with the machine overall.

Jaffa Cake
Jul 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
Not at home, but at work the majority of our Macs are Power Mac G4s. They don't quite have the grunt our G5s have, but they're more than capable machines.

Nermal
Jul 20, 2006, 02:44 PM
In a few days I will have gone a step further - I just bought a Blue and White G3! :D (just waiting for it to arrive).

On the other hand, I do have my Intel iMac to keep me company :p

MacsRgr8
Jul 20, 2006, 02:55 PM
In a few days I will have gone a step further - I just bought a Blue and White G3! :D (just waiting for it to arrive).

:cool: !

One of my all time favorite Macs!

Why? Becasue this tower made that huge leap forward.... FireWire, USB, 100 Mb ethernet, superb case design (I especially love the gr8 big "G3" on the sides)... and it boots all OS-es I love to play with: OS 8.5 - OS 9, Mac OS X Server 1.x (Rhapsody), Mac OS X (Server) 10.0.x - 10.4.7!!!

I own two of 'em:
1 x 400 MHz, 768 MB RAM, 60 GB 7200 rpm HD, Voodoo 5500 PCI grfx card (my nostalgic Mac OS 9 Mac)
1 x 350 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB 7200 rpm HD, Radeon 9200 PCI grfx (my Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 gateway!)

Have fun with your El Capitan, Nermal!

63dot
Jul 20, 2006, 03:05 PM
dual power mac 500, 15" inch apple lcd monitor

three scsi 10,000 rpm hard drives

jaguar and os 9.2 on different hard drives

i am quite ok with this setup, but it pales in comparison to my dad's 20" inch intel imac, with tiger, with dual 2.0 ghz processors and one giant hard drive

one day i may get a 17" inch intel imac for my office and run os x and windows vista

Nermal
Jul 20, 2006, 11:51 PM
and it boots all OS-es I love to play with: OS 8.5 - OS 9, Mac OS X Server 1.x (Rhapsody)

I never even considered that I'd be able to run Rhapsody on it :cool:

Of course, tracking down a copy of Rhapsody will be the tricky bit :(

amemoryoncelost
Jul 21, 2006, 12:39 AM
I've been running a dual 800 G4 for the past 2 years. Just recently upgraded to a dual 2.7 G5 and Im finally gonna part with the G4. I have been editing with FCP 4.5 and using other programs with no hiccups. Im gonna miss it!

Xeem
Jul 21, 2006, 12:43 AM
It isn't even set up right now, but I still have my G4 Cube. It has the stock 450 mHz G4 and 16 MB ATI Rage Pro video card, but it has 576 MB RAM and a 40 GB 2.5" 5400 rpm IBM Travelstar hard drive (the original drive was very loud and slow). Unfortunately, its Firewire ports stopped working a while ago, or I might be using it with a couple external drives as a fileserver right now.

R.Youden
Jul 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
I have the DP 1.43Ghz G4 in my sig. I suppose you cant get a much faster G4 than that. I love the machine and it does everything I want.

At the moment I am toying with the idea of replacing my PowerBook with a MacBook or replacing both my PowerBook and PowerMac with a MacBook Pro. How much do people think I would get or the PowerMac and would I notice a speed increase with a 2.16Ghz MBP?

drj434343
Jul 21, 2006, 01:57 AM
I owned several B&W G3's, but was always plauged with various IDE corruption, misidentified RAM, and faulty firewire issues. I decided to upgrade to a dual 533 Mhz PowerMac, and have been amazed by the power of the system. It's been rock solid and I've had no issues at all. Excellent machine.

Sozsei
Jul 21, 2006, 03:00 AM
I've got a single 867 MHz Quicksilver, 1G of RAM, two 80G HDs, etc, with a 17" 4:3 flat panel display. It works pretty damned well for a five year-old setup. I use mostly Photoshop and Illustrator. I've never had any problems. Ever.

I'd love to have a fancy shmancy Mac Pro but I need something portable so I'll end up getting the most powerful MBP Apple makes in February-ish. That should blow my G4 away.

Speaking of blowing away, the fans in this thing are freaking LOUD. It's really quite ridiculous. I wouldn't be suprised if one or two of you could actually hear my computer right now.

Ryan T.
Jul 21, 2006, 09:07 AM
I run my Intel iMac daily, but also have a PowerMac G4 that's getting use. I've upgraded it pretty heavily, but there are a few more things it could probably use. Right now it's running as follows...

PowerMac G4 GigE Model
1.4GHz G4 Sonnet Upgrade, 2MB L3
1.25GB PC133 RAM
70GB Hard drive space (1 x 40, 1 x 30)
8 USB ports, 4 of which are USB 2.0
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP
ATI Radeon 7000 PCI
Airport Card
Pioneer Superdrive
OS X 10.4 Tiger

It's really a very capable machine and I enjoy running it. The only real issue is my iMac has spoiled me as far as noise pollution goes, so now the PowerMac seems loud, when really it's not overly noisy at all.

SC68Cal
Jul 21, 2006, 12:08 PM
I never even considered that I'd be able to run Rhapsody on it :cool:

Of course, tracking down a copy of Rhapsody will be the tricky bit :(

I don't know what the licensing restrictions would be, but I would gladly make a copy of my (what I think is) Rhapsody install disk. It's branded as Mac OS X Server Release 1.2

rjphoto
Jul 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
I still have my G4 400 Tower running under my deck plug in side by side with the "work" IBM Tower to the same LCD monitor with a built in switch.

I picked it up when the graphics designer for the marketing department left the company and no one wanted it or even knew how to use it. I offered to give it a good home and pull any files off of it if anyone needed them...

I've added RAM, an 8X Pioneer SuperDrive and a 120Gig secondary HD.

The eMac in the sig is the main Mac right now, but I used the Tower this morning to make a disk image from a DVD that I was delivering this morning and didn't make a copy for the archives.

mojohanna
Jul 21, 2006, 12:32 PM
I have a single proc G4 450 that my kids still use quite often. It can do just about everything that the comp in my sig does, just a little slower. (actually, a lot slower). It still is hummin along though.

SilversunStreak
Jul 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
I've got a Dual G4 867 w/ a g4 Ti 4600. It's treated me great for about 4 or 5 years. The optical drive only reads DVDs now for some reason. No burning or reading :/:confused: I only wish it had more USB ports and could handle recent videogames. Planning on upgrading to a macbook or macbook pro in a year.

xfiftyfour
Jul 21, 2006, 01:09 PM
i have the upgraded "AGP Graphics" G4 in my sig and it fliiiies...

_bnkr612
Jul 21, 2006, 03:33 PM
I will never part with this one. Aesthetically, I prefer it over the cold PMG5. When a decent MacPro comes this guy will be a bad a$$ iTunes box.

Cheers ya'll for the responses, I am definitely not alone!

http://i5.tinypic.com/20l1aw3.jpg

solvs
Jul 21, 2006, 06:35 PM
And I felt slow with my 2GHz G5. :p Kidding, my Sis got rid of her dual 867, but only because it was having problems. Told her to buy AppleCare. We were able to fix it thanks to some stuff she found on eBay, but she just didn't trust it anymore. Bought a PowerBook and a mini for now, but I'm sure she'll want a Mac Pro when they come out. Had a working Beige G3, last of the Beige models and I was surprised how well it ran 10.2. Would have upgraded it, but it just didn't seem worth it, especially after Tiger came out. Xpostfacto only goes so far.

I still have a 6400 that's quite usable too, but unlike the still viable G3s and 4s, sloooow as molasses.

finchna
Jul 21, 2006, 09:45 PM
I have a 2x500 and a 2x1.25 (running 10.4 server)

However, they don't hold a candle to the g5s I use for video work.

Blue Velvet
Jul 21, 2006, 10:11 PM
The dual 1.4 with 2gb RAM I have at home is still adequate for design work... although InDesign is a little laggy. It certainly held its own in BakedBeans' recent Photoshop speed test and came close to the low-end G5s.

The things that annoy me about it are: the noise, lack of USB 2 and wireless.

The things I like? Drive capacity... 4HDs in there at the mo.

Probably selling it next year and getting a MBP.

4JNA
Jul 21, 2006, 10:18 PM
I need to know. Does anyone else have their PowerMac G4 holding their own in the world of G5s and Mactels? I know about PBs, I curious about the desktops more or less.

my dual g4 1.2 will take most single g5's lunch money. i love the clean aluminum look of the g5, but like to have the one of a kind thing, so ended up with this. dual 1.2ghz g4 from powerlogix, 2gb ram, 9800 pro 128mb, sata pci, wd raptor 10000rpm boot disk, 300gb sata scratch disk, zip 250, 16x DL dvd+-rw drive, front panel card reader/usb2/firewire, custom everything else :o got the solder splatter and empty band-aid box to prove it.

and lots of glowey lights and blinky led's. hey, i grew up watching star trek. computers need blinky lights ;) and don't even ask about the zip drive, or i'll have to tell you where to stick your thumb drive. :eek: most proud of the fact that the sleep 'throbber' works. in two colors even. yeah baby! all the custom fan/heatsink work makes it nearly as quiet as my dual g5 on the other side of the office.

solvs
Jul 21, 2006, 11:58 PM
The G4 was actually a pretty good chip. Just woefully underdeveloped. It's silly to get sentimental over a CPU, but it's still a little sad to see the end of the PPC for the Macs.

Ah well, bring on the Intels!

Macmadant
Jul 22, 2006, 05:04 AM
I've got a single 1.25 GHz Powemac G4 MDD, 3 HDDs in it 768 Mb of RAM and two optical drives Super and combo, and i love it to bits and wont be getting rid of until at least 2 years from now:rolleyes:

Erasmus
Jul 22, 2006, 07:01 AM
It isn't even set up right now, but I still have my G4 Cube. It has the stock 450 mHz G4 and 16 MB ATI Rage Pro video card, but it has 576 MB RAM and a 40 GB 2.5" 5400 rpm IBM Travelstar hard drive (the original drive was very loud and slow). Unfortunately, its Firewire ports stopped working a while ago, or I might be using it with a couple external drives as a fileserver right now.

Ha! I'm typing this on my 450Mhz G4 Cube. Mine also has its original 16MB ATI Rage Pro video card, and 512Mb RAM. As my sig suggests, I put in a 250Gb HDD when its stock 20 died. My Firewire ports still work (I think) but I've only used them once or twice. Original 15" LCD screen of the time too.
Hooray for G4s!
BTW, Who was it who insulted the G4 Cube???
Grrr...

_bnkr612
Jul 22, 2006, 11:47 AM
Ha! I'm typing this on my 450Mhz G4 Cube. Mine also has its original 16MB ATI Rage Pro video card, and 512Mb RAM. As my sig suggests, I put in a 250Gb HDD when its stock 20 died. My Firewire ports still work (I think) but I've only used them once or twice. Original 15" LCD screen of the time too.
Hooray for G4s!
BTW, Who was it who insulted the G4 Cube???
Grrr...

Cubes are sexy. The MacMini is no replacement that's for sure. Ive is struggling with the engineers right now, that's why the new one isn't out. :D

FF_productions
Jul 22, 2006, 01:12 PM
Just check out the sig. This machine sometimes feels faster than my iMac G5 that it replaced. I got a pretty good time on the Photoshop speed test, beat my iMac by a few minutes. I'm still upgrading the machine to get the most speed out of it and haven't found a reason to get another computer because it's been serving me fine for the past month.

I've been contemplating intel, but the Mac Pro's aren't out yet and it's very early in the transition for me. I'll probably get a MacBook Pro for college, I need the power for Final Cut Studio.

Nermal
Jul 22, 2006, 08:21 PM
I don't know what the licensing restrictions would be, but I would gladly make a copy of my (what I think is) Rhapsody install disk. It's branded as Mac OS X Server Release 1.2

I'd better pass, I believe it's still under licence. Besides, I got my mitts on a copy of Jaguar Server to play around with :)

apunkrockmonk
Jul 22, 2006, 09:53 PM
I'm posting this from my Sawtooth 450mhz file server.

It has 600GB of storage space currently.

I plan to fill it to the gills with hard drives as the need arrives.

I will be keeping this machine forever most likely.

Works great!

Xeem
Jul 22, 2006, 10:10 PM
Hooray for G4s!

Mine still has the 17" Apple Studio Display CRT (with ADC connector) that it came with; to this day it remains one of my favorite monitors. Anyway, this thread has helped inspire me to pick up some hardware (http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=1289) for $20 from woot! that will let my Cube at least have a role as a wireless internet box and torrent client for all of my (solely freeware, of course...) downloads.

solvs
Jul 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
I put in a 250Gb HDD when its stock 20 died.
You know, you could just buy a copy of SpeedTools to break that 128GB limit. Or partition it into multiple pieces, if you haven't already. Not much point in having 250GB and only using half of it.

leekohler
Jul 22, 2006, 11:55 PM
I just bought a dual-core PM G5 in April. I sold my old G4 sawtooth that I upgraded the hell out of to a friend at work. It now has 1Ghz processor, 1.75 Gb RAM, a 64 Mb VRAM Radeon 900o Pro card and two hard drives. I loved that computer and got a bit misty-eyed when I sold it. I had it for almost 6 years and if I weren't starting to get into video editing, I would have kept it for even longer. I still have my iBook G4 though. :) I love it. I was going to sell it and get a MacBook, but I'm not impressed with them yet (integrated graphics, yuck). Oh well, they'll get better with time. :)

BTW- the friend I sold the PM G4 to loves it. It's his first Mac. His PC now sits in the closet. ;)

TDM21
Jul 23, 2006, 12:55 AM
I bought my QuickSilver PowerMac from these forums back in January. It actually came in pieces and had to reattach all the CPU spacers in the right place. After a PMU battery upgrade, the system booted up perfectly. Since then I have upgraded the video card to a 9800pro and the CD-Rom drive to a Pioneer DVD burner. I hope to have the processor upgraded by the end of the year as well as a SATA card and hard drive.

I know, I know, some would say to sell it and get a G5 or MacPro after all the money I have thrown at it, but I like the look and expandability of the QS. Plus I don't need the system for power since I'm only in college. This PowerMac is more of a hobby to play around with and see what I can get it to do.

63dot
Jul 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
I run a dual processor PMG4 (Gig E), with two 500mhz processors. You're not alone out there.

same here...still works great...and added features for mine are three 36 GB 10,000 rpm SCSI hard drives

my dad has a 20" inch intel imac and that machine is faster on native apps, and quieter but as we all know, there is still not a lot of native software for the mactels...this time next year, everybody out there in the third party software world should be on board with the new mactel machines

and where the PM was $6,000+ dollars, my dad's 20" inch intel imac was less than one third the price

it's amazing how much power one can get these days for an affordable price

Kaioshin
Jul 23, 2006, 01:07 AM
I use one at work (when I actually go there, my work allows me to do everything at home).
But I am uncertain what it's specifications are. If I remember I'll update this post once I'm there.

Erasmus
Jul 23, 2006, 04:55 AM
You know, you could just buy a copy of SpeedTools to break that 128GB limit. Or partition it into multiple pieces, if you haven't already. Not much point in having 250GB and only using half of it.

Yeah I know. But at the moment, I've used less than 80Gb, and don't see that increasing much very soon. If or when I get a new Mac, I'll format it in two partitions from the new computer using Target Disk Mode. That should work, shouldn't it? I'm cheap.

solvs
Jul 23, 2006, 07:05 PM
If or when I get a new Mac, I'll format it in two partitions from the new computer using Target Disk Mode. That should work, shouldn't it?
You should be able to partition the rest right now. It should leave your formatted partition as is. Um, just make sure to back up first. ;)

QCassidy352
Jul 23, 2006, 07:17 PM
I've got a single 1.25 GHz Powemac G4 MDD, 3 HDDs in it 768 Mb of RAM and two optical drives Super and combo, and i love it to bits and wont be getting rid of until at least 2 years from now:rolleyes:

my gf still uses a single proc 1.25 G4 with 1.25 GB RAM and the rest stock. Works great, and has since the day we got it. :) (she just saw me typing and said to say "I love it to the moon.")

ricgnzlzcr
Jul 23, 2006, 10:17 PM

You can partition a drive in order to break the limit of 128? Wow. That's really exciting

Nermal
Aug 1, 2006, 12:09 AM

It finally arrived :D and I have a question regarding hard drives. According to Apple, it uses "Ultra2 LVD" drives, but the only ones I can find for sale are Ultra160 and 320. Are these drives backward compatible (ie. can I put a 160 or 320 in a B&W)? Also, do I avoid the 128 GB limit by using a SCSI drive?

disconap
Aug 2, 2006, 02:15 AM
I love my Sawtooth and my b/w. Both hold their own just fine (the b/w is a little slow, but not that bad). A G5 tower would leave either in the dust, of course; but the real benefit over most other macs for me is the 2gigs of RAM in the G4, it just makes it cook along faster than any other machine I've been on.

On the drives, if you have a SCSI card installed, there should be no limit problem (READ: should). The only ways to break the barrier is through a PCI drive card or through a software utility (I can't remember the name offhand, but I don't recomment it anyway). You should be able to use any IDE (PATA) drive out there.

bartelby
Aug 2, 2006, 03:02 AM
I have a 733MHz Quicksilver with 1.12GB RAM, it's original 40 GB HD and a 120GB HD. I use it nearly every day.
The only things that really bother me are:

The heat and noise it produces
It takes forever to startup
and
It no longer sleeps. So I have to shut it down all the time!

Yoursh
Aug 2, 2006, 03:50 AM
I just got a 466MHz G4 PowerMac today. Traded it for one of my used ipods from a posting on Craig's list. Came with the original install discs(10.2), original KB/mouse,CRT monitor, and a set of retail 10.3. From looking at it, it hasn't been upgraded at all.(128mb RAM, 30Gig HDD, ATI video card w/ ADC output) Now I have to find what I can upgrade on it. Woo. I think I finally found a replacement for my PC desktop that's not upgradeable.

dpaanlka
Aug 2, 2006, 04:04 AM
There are many G3s and 604/603 machines still in service. Yes, many many people use G4s.

AlexMaximus
Aug 18, 2006, 03:04 PM
I have a Powermac G4 1,42 G Dual, 2Gig Ram and Radeon 9800/256MB.
In adition I have upgraded the noisy Power Supply Fans with a great Veraxfan option (M11). This machine is still super fast and I did not experiance any restrictions yet. There are stil many upgrade options left such as a nice SCSI controller with 15K drives. I also think about the new WD Raptor SATA 10K dirves together with the Sonnet SATA controller.
Sure, a new G5 PPC or Intel will be faster, however I always used my computers many years without problems.
At the end of the day you want to invest in technology you can easy transfer to the next generation. That means always buy the best screen, printer,, maybe even SCSI drives but I do not invest in CPUs very often. The G4's are actually such good machines that Apple had to build in artifical market restrictions in order to make the G5 more attractive. One example is the fact that apples apperture does not run on a G4. -Well, Adobes Lightroon runs super fast on it, which is the proof that it is not hardware related but market driven to push G5 sales volume.;)
I am sorry Apple, but you will not cut down my G4's product life cycle!