Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I know of various iTunes widgets, apps like iTunes statistician and websites that will read the Library xml figure and calculate your total listening time and your playcount by genres etc.

But I'd like to be able to do some more 'date' based queries - so I could see whether the age of songs (by year or by date added to library) influences the play count. Yes, I'd expect songs I've had in the library longest to have the highest playcounts but I'd like to see by how much.

I'd like to be able to only see the playcount and stats for top rated songs rather than all of them. I guess what I'd like is something that almost gives me a pivot table to use virtually any of the View Options and count/sum/average them out.

Any suggestions?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
That would be awesome! The only advice I have would be to hire the great Doctor Q. I'm sure he'd come up with some kind of chart that shows you in depth things you've never even thought to think about. :)

I'll be watching this thread for any other suggestions. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My for-hire rate is 3.14159 per hour. But I won't tell you what units 3.14159 is in. Maybe dollars, maybe sushi dinners, maybe big-screen TVs. ;)

It makes sense to start from file Users/Yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml. Lots of useful information is in there.

One approach would be to extract and convert the data to spreadsheet or relational database form, and then analyze or query it. Another would be to apply XML-based query software directly to the xml file.

It's an interesting challenge either way, but not one I have time to work on. :( Unless the units above are "Power Macs". :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Doh! I've just spent the last 40 minutes reading up on how to read XML files and debating whether I could be bothered installing php just to satisfy my random curiosity...

And then I decided to try something different... I did a Select All in the Library then did a copy and a paste into Excel. Result? A beautiful spreadsheet with all the fields I need so I can now just create a few formulas and a pivot table and play to my heart's content!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Couldn't have you going hungry Doctor Q - here's some sushi that I had for lunch the other day - a Salmon in a Rushdie box

attachment.php

Strangely, the oldest songs in my library aren't the ones that have the highest playcount (the Library starts at Feb 04 when I imported my tracks from my old PC) That honour goes to the ones from June 04 (18.52 plays) - specifically those initial iTMS UK purchases ;)

But there are 8 months with a higher average plays per song added to the Library than Feb 04 (7.3 plays) - the most recent being April 05. Those added in 06 to date only average 1.1 plays per song so far. The same pattern holds whether I look at all my music or as its rated.

I appear to buy Electronica and Dance in the summer months and Alternative music in the winter months.

Attachments

• sushi.jpg
    sushi.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 555
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.