PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A Clamshell Ibook.

da2005pizimp
Jul 22, 2006, 01:23 AM
Hey folks, i'm in a real pickle right now. i bought 25 clamshell 466mhz graphite ibooks and whenever i put the HD in and put a disc in the drive to try to install an OS nothing happens, so i pressed the option key and this blue screen with a lock on one side and an arrow on the other, with a space to write in, in the middle. now what i need to know is what should i do? i can put these things together like no one else but when it comes to software i'm lost. i'm going to try to attach the picture of what the screen looks like but i'm not too good at that either. but if someone can get these things up and running i'll give you a complete (no power cord) graphit clamshell for free. basically what i'm trying to say is I NEED HELP ASAP.

I made this same post on www.mac-forums.com here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38366

I just figured the more people that help the better.

Chundles
Jul 22, 2006, 01:28 AM
Hmm....

OK, first thing's first.

1. What OS are the iBooks currently running?

2. Have you tried putting in the CD and boot, holding down the 'c' key on the keyboard? That should get the iBook to boot from the disc, then it's a case of using Disc Utility on the CD to format the HDD then install the OS.

Give that a go then report back.

da2005pizimp
Jul 22, 2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the quick reply

1. don't know what they are running, got them off of ebay

2. i have tried holding down the "c" key and nothing happens.

I don't know how to down grade my pics to be able to upload them, but there is a picture of what i'm talking about on mac-forums. if you read there you can see what everyone else has suggested. thanks again for you quick reply.

CoMpX
Jul 22, 2006, 02:11 AM
The screen that you are describing seems like it's asking for a password. This most likely means that the person you bought the Clamshell from has set an Open Firware password. A good idea would be to ask them if they know anything about this, and what their password is.

Try booting the iBook with the "C" key again. Turn on the computer, open the drive tray, insert the OS CD, close the tray, and turn it off again. Now, turn the computer back on and hold down the "C" key as soon as you press the power button.

Note that this may take a while, because the computer is booting from the CD. Keep holding the "C" key down until you get some sort of screen on the iBook. You can then let go of the key and the computer should proceed to boot from the CD. Again, this can take some time.

Good luck!

KingYaba
Jul 22, 2006, 02:11 AM
Put your OS X disc in or whatever. Restart the computer holding down C. Then the computer should pop up showing you the menu. I think you should use the disk utility and erase everything and reformat when u install again.

CoMpX
Jul 22, 2006, 02:18 AM
Put your OS X disc in or whatever. Restart the computer holding down C. Then the computer should pop up showing you the menu. I think you should use the disk utility and erase everything and reformat when u install again.

Didn't I just say that?

KingYaba
Jul 22, 2006, 02:28 AM
You didn't post when I was typing this :p

KingYaba
Jul 22, 2006, 02:28 AM
Look at the time, they are within 1 minute of each other.

dextertangocci
Jul 22, 2006, 05:02 AM
If they are running OS9, I think they need some sort of firmware update.

da2005pizimp
Jul 23, 2006, 01:12 AM
well i had a friend of mine take a look at it and he got the password changed, but i think there is a problem with the dvd rom, so i'm going to look for one that works from the other 25 ibooks i have here to see if i can get one working.