Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pamon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2006
Started up my 15" PB today, got the blue screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark... used Apple Utility disk and doesn't even see the HD volume there.. was working fine 2-3 days ago, possible jarring in my bag killed it...

Less than a year old so still covered by Apple's Limited Warranty... anyone know if they replace it at the Apple Store or do they ship it out? And since it's under te warranty (albeit limited), is it a free replacement or will it cost me $$$...

Kind of surprised it only lasted 9 mos though. Assuming once they replace it, the data on the old HD is a goner....

Any insight appreciated.... Pamon

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
pamon said:
Started up my 15" PB today, got the blue screen and then a flashing folder with a question mark... used Apple Utility disk and doesn't even see the HD volume there.. was working fine 2-3 days ago, possible jarring in my bag killed it...

Less than a year old so still covered by Apple's Limited Warranty... anyone know if they replace it at the Apple Store or do they ship it out? And since it's under te warranty (albeit limited), is it a free replacement or will it cost me $$$...

Kind of surprised it only lasted 9 mos though. Assuming once they replace it, the data on the old HD is a goner....

Any insight appreciated.... Pamon
Did you have the motion sensor on your PB? My hd froze on a trip with a new 14" 1.33mhz iBook and I promptly sold it and bought the newer 14" iBook with the motion sensor just for this reason. In any case, Apple will replace the hd. Good time to upgrade the hd too.

pamon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2006
powerbook hard driive failure...argh

not sure if i did... it's only 9 mos old so kind of upset over that... called my local apple store and they mentioned that I should schedule something at the genius bar and they'll look at it. Might be able to swap out the HD in store if they've got them in stock.... was going to open it up myself but opened 6 screws and realized it's more of a challenge than I want. I'll let them fix it since it's still under warranty...

Assuming I've lost all the info on the hard drive.... argh......

California said:
Did you have the motion sensor on your PB? My hd froze on a trip with a new 14" 1.33mhz iBook and I promptly sold it and bought the newer 14" iBook with the motion sensor just for this reason. In any case, Apple will replace the hd. Good time to upgrade the hd too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.