PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Cheapest Powermac G4 Possible

kildraik
Jul 22, 2006, 04:09 AM
I am looking to possibly buy a very cheap, very low end Powermac G4 that is in pristine condition. I would prefer the Powermac to also include the box and manuals, but if not, then it's a compromise.

Specifics:
> Must be the "Sawtooth" architectured logic board with 4 RAM slots.
> Processor if PREFFERABLY single, and no smaller than 400 mhz.
> At least 256mb RAM, 512mb single DIMM preffered.
> Any CD Drive is fine, will upgrade later anyways.
> Must include all cords, w/e. Keyboard and mouse need not be required, but would of course be nice.
> Case must have NO CRACKS, very little wear, and inside not neglected (i.e. no dust that has been caking over for years on end :D).
> The original box and manuals would be awesome. That way I would know that it would be safe to ship in it's fitted box.
> Any size hard drive. I have a loose 60GB one laying around.
> No monitor needed. I won't even consider it unless its free, an LCD, and you pay shipping.:rolleyes:
> Must have an ethernet card. (IDK if its standard or not)
> Any version of OS X. Tiger or Panther would be nice though, if you don't need the discs anymore.
> Any GPU, prefferably the original card it came with.
> Finally, IT MUST BE WORKING!! I do not want a DOA G4, thats the very last thing that I want. Also, I don't want any strange hardware defects, i.e. excessively loud power supply (odd, but w/e- if it bugs you, it will bug me).

Remember, I want it to be as cheap as possible. $50-$150 plus shipping would be awesome. *:D I WANT IT CHEAP AND SUPER LOW-END!!:D* Please provide pics, too.

So, If your G4 is just sitting there, and have not used it for a while or is used very little please consider on putting it forward.

Thank you!
-Will

SmurfBoxMasta
Jul 22, 2006, 06:46 AM
I am looking to possibly buy a very cheap, very low end Powermac G4 that is in pristine condition. I would prefer the Powermac to also include the box and manuals, but if not, then it's a compromise.

Specifics:
> Must be the "Sawtooth" architectured logic board with 4 RAM slots.
> Processor if PREFFERABLY single, and no smaller than 400 mhz.
> At least 256mb RAM, 512mb single DIMM preffered.
> Any CD Drive is fine, will upgrade later anyways.
> Must include all cords, w/e. Keyboard and mouse need not be required, but would of course be nice.
> Case must have NO CRACKS, very little wear, and inside not neglected (i.e. no dust that has been caking over for years on end :D).
> The original box and manuals would be awesome. That way I would know that it would be safe to ship in it's fitted box.
> Any size hard drive. I have a loose 60GB one laying around.
> No monitor needed. I won't even consider it unless its free, an LCD, and you pay shipping.:rolleyes:
> Must have an ethernet card. (IDK if its standard or not)
> Any version of OS X. Tiger or Panther would be nice though, if you don't need the discs anymore.
> Any GPU, prefferably the original card it came with.
> Finally, IT MUST BE WORKING!! I do not want a DOA G4, thats the very last thing that I want. Also, I don't want any strange hardware defects, i.e. excessively loud power supply (odd, but w/e- if it bugs you, it will bug me).

Remember, I want it to be as cheap as possible. $50-$150 plus shipping would be awesome. *:D I WANT IT CHEAP AND SUPER LOW-END!!:D* Please provide pics, too.

So, If your G4 is just sitting there, and have not used it for a while or is used very little please consider on putting it forward.

Thank you!
-Will

geez, all that for <$150..........you dont want much, do you?
can you say............e b a y......as in there "want it now" section, and/or cragslist

rand()
Jul 23, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hey.

Don't know if you'll find a G4 exactly like that, but I do have something somewhat close;

B&W G3. It's a 450MHz, 256 MB ram, 6GB Hard Disk. I've been running a webserver on this computer and it's been a great workhorse for that purpose - ran a good 2+ years continuous.

It still works well, but I have no need of it anymore. It is missing one of the handles - I acquired it that way. Same with the box, & disks - I purchased this used from a school district that was liquidating old stock. I can reformat it, but it'll come no-OS (I've been running it with Gentoo).

If you're interested, I'll be happy to get pics for you.

-rand()

kildraik
Jul 24, 2006, 02:06 AM
Hey.

Don't know if you'll find a G4 exactly like that, but I do have something somewhat close;

B&W G3. It's a 450MHz, 256 MB ram, 6GB Hard Disk. I've been running a webserver on this computer and it's been a great workhorse for that purpose - ran a good 2+ years continuous.

It still works well, but I have no need of it anymore. It is missing one of the handles - I acquired it that way. Same with the box, & disks - I purchased this used from a school district that was liquidating old stock. I can reformat it, but it'll come no-OS (I've been running it with Gentoo).

If you're interested, I'll be happy to get pics for you.

-rand()
I'd prefer a g4, but can you give pics anyways? How much would you want? Also, which handle is missing? Is it ATA HD compatible? Thanks-

C'mon... I need a cheap G4!

Johnny Rico
Jul 24, 2006, 03:09 AM
There are quite a few G4 powermacs under $200 on ebay right now.

rand()
Jul 25, 2006, 07:43 AM
I'd prefer a g4, but can you give pics anyways? How much would you want? Also, which handle is missing? Is it ATA HD compatible? Thanks-

C'mon... I need a cheap G4!

As Rico said, you might try eBay also. But a G4 is a pretty good machine still - they just aren't going to be in the $50 - $150 range yet, unless you are VERY lucky.

I'll get some pics tonight when I get home. The handle that's missing is the top-rear. The school took it off so that it would fit in a typical PC desk slot - talk about putting a round peg in a square hole!

They subsequently lost the back handle - it was pretty funny, because there was a room of 50 B&W G3's, all missing the rear top handle, and you KNOW there's a tech guy somewhere in the district who's got a freakin' drawer full of top-rear handles. And he's probably PO'd because he doesn't have a drawer to keep his wire ties in. :-)

So... yeah... rambling... I'll get those pics tonight for ya. Oh, and yes, it's ATA drive compatible, although it does have the 120GB drive limitation. It also has several PCI slots, but no AGP for graphics - PCI only. Four ram slots, PC-100.

-rand()